Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 13:14   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Morgan Out Island 41

Maybe choose to replace shrouds, engine, needed through-hulls and unless the hull was mistreated I doubt if you'll need a peel. You could choose to cruise and leave the cosmetic needs for the lulls between. Afterall, function trumps pretty! As posted in Vernon's Grocery at Hope Town, "Nothing goes to windward like a 747". We've been living aboard and actively cruising our Morgan Out Islands since 1973. Charley Morgan once told me, "We wanted to design a boat that would motor well for the charter trade".

Keep in mind that if you upgrade the Out Island you still won't have a boat with a market value over around 60K, but inexpensive cruising has given us over 50,000 miles,- mostly casual and not often beating to windward.
Old 25-03-2015, 14:03   #17

Hi new to this so hope this is the way to add a new post in the Morgan site.
I have a o/i 416 cc ketch on the hard in guaymas at this moment. I need to replace the Bimini and plexiglass c/c covers and windows. What I am considering is using the s/s frame and making a hard top using frp or other polyester resin product for the top. i would like to get other peoples input and if they have plans I would buy them so I wouldn't have to start from scratch. Guaymas Mex is on the Sea of Cortez and quite a drive from where I live in Ca. I will be redoing the top side non skid and leaning towards sand for the skid part. Has anyone found anything they would suggest that works better?
Projects I have done. replaced heads. replaced side ports, refrigeration. flooring, carpeting, found a way to add counter space in galley, hatch lexan ect ect. boats are projects. :-)
A little about Morgan 416. I have owned mine since 2006 and sailed her from San Diego Ca as far as Columbia and back. She is a fantastic live aboard and does quite well off the wind. Steady 5 to 8 kns in a good breeze. As most morgan owners will testify going up wind is a challenge. I left S/D in Dec 2006 and returned 2013. I am now planning on retiring in mexico and living aboard her until age gets the best of me. So yes I do like the boat but as most of us wish she would point a few degrees higher.
swdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 14:35   #18

Morgan Out Island 41 mast

Anyone have or know of anyone with a mast…
Thanks IAN…..

Jerry
Jerrypcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 17:07   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Morgan Out Island 41 mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrypcman View Post
Anyone have or know of anyone with a mast…
Thanks IAN…..

Jerry

1st. Welcome to the forum. It might be helpful to know where the boat is in order to make it feasible.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 00:46   #20

You can buy an OI 41 for less than youre going to have to put into it. If you cant afford one and youre under say 45.. go for it. You can live on it while you work to fix it. But they go for way less than 50k
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan out island