Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2022, 16:59   #1

Boat: Dufour 310
Beneteau 40.7 for coastal cruising

Any thoughts on this or have you been involved in a conversion. I like a fast cruiser that I could also enter in some away races such as Hamilton Island.

I have seen a nice example. Would need a full canvas package, layjacks, fuller etc. Assy. I like the timber below and there is plenty of storage.

We will mostly be 2 up and at sea for a max of 7 days at a time

The 40.7 has really nice precise steering and points really well also. However, will also need some creature comforts to keep the Admiral happy. The full traveller in the cockpit is not ideal .

They can be had for reasonable money in Aus if you can find one that has not been flogged on the race track.

Look forward to hearing of your experiences.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 17:53   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Beneteau 40.7 for coastal cruising

Long thread about this on Sailing Anarchy. We looked at a Beneteau First 40.7 in 2021. Beautiful boat with fantastic sail handling equipment. Deep keel and wonderful performance. Then we looked for cruising attributes. Space for about a case of wine, but minimal stowage below for any galley equipment (glasses, plates, bowls, cups, silverware...) One half-high hanging locker in each cabin is about it for stowing clothes. No lockers or drawers. Space under the bunks in the quarter-cabins is taken by tanks, pumps and compressors. There is some room under the V-berths - perhaps enough for six to eight lifejackets. Space behind the settees is only deep enough to store books flat against the hull, maybe two deep. Tanks under the settees preclude putting anything there. The fridge is not enormous. Finding somewhere to put more than a weekend's worth of food would be a problem. Using one of the cabins for stowage would require reworking the entire space and could be an expensive and awkward boondoggle if it weren't completely well thought out beforehand.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 00:11   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Fast boat with a racing pedigree
Old 15-10-2022, 04:58   #4

I had one, raced it with all the go faster gear, then converted it for cruising and did West Cork (Ireland), West France and also Spain.

What did I add/change?
- Removable anchor windlass
- Removable roller fulter and a new genoa
- Extra battery/bigger alternator
- Removable lockers in the cockpit
- lazyjacks on the main
- Luff sliders instead of the standard rope feed

Usually did passages two up and the AP, and then the family joined up. It worked fine as a coastal cruiser and is fast - no problem hitting 8+ knots in cruising mode. A little tippy/sensitive and has a big main so you need to reef to keep the drinks from spilling. Small tanks, especially water means you need to top up regularly.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:39   #5

Boat: Dufour 310

Thanks so much for the replies. I found the thread on Anarchy and its answered most of my questions. The 40.7 may not be ideal and storage will be a problem.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, cruising