Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2022, 03:37   #1
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet
Good Summary of Beneteau Strengths...

From Yachting Monthly, here is a good summary of most Beneteau yachts (excluding the First Series):

"Without wanting to labour the point, to criticise this boat for her inability to provide a safe cockpit in a North Atlantic gale, or to concern yourself with her swathes of windows ‘vulnerable’ to 30ft beam seas is to miss completely the purpose of this boat. She’s not designed for that, in the same way that a Smart car isn’t designed for the Paris-Dakar, and you’d be irretrievably cracked to attempt it.

Bénéteau worked out that a great many boat owners park their boats in the sun and use them for weekends and holidays, port- and bay-hopping. The families of these owners want comfort and facilities, luxurious appointments, some fun sailing and to explore anchorages."

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/revi...K23XNYx0nuIeb0

As long as the buyers and owners realize the wisdom of the above, everything is fine. Otherwise, we have another Coast Guard rescue on a post...
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 04:03   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Good Summary of Beneteau Strengths...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
From Yachting Monthly, here is a good summary of most Beneteau yachts (excluding the First Series):

"Without wanting to labour the point, to criticise this boat for her inability to provide a safe cockpit in a North Atlantic gale, or to concern yourself with her swathes of windows ‘vulnerable’ to 30ft beam seas is to miss completely the purpose of this boat. She’s not designed for that, in the same way that a Smart car isn’t designed for the Paris-Dakar, and you’d be irretrievably cracked to attempt it.

Bénéteau worked out that a great many boat owners park their boats in the sun and use them for weekends and holidays, port- and bay-hopping. The families of these owners want comfort and facilities, luxurious appointments, some fun sailing and to explore anchorages."

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/revi...K23XNYx0nuIeb0

As long as the buyers and owners realize the wisdom of the above, everything is fine. Otherwise, we have another Coast Guard rescue on a post...
first lets not extend a review about a SPECIFIC boat to a whole range of different boats

This review was soley about the Sense range and it gives it a glowing review

Quote:
Without wanting to labour the point, to criticise this boat for her inability to provide a safe cockpit in a North Atlantic gale, or to concern yourself with her swathes of windows ‘vulnerable’ to 30ft beam seas is to miss completely the purpose of this boat. She’s not designed for that, in the same way that a Smart car isn’t designed for the Paris-Dakar, and you’d be irretrievably cracked to attempt it.

Bénéteau worked out that a great many boat owners park their boats in the sun and use them for weekends and holidays, port- and bay-hopping. The families of these owners want comfort and facilities, luxurious appointments, some fun sailing and to explore anchorages. Bénéteau believes they want to do it with a touch of sophistication, in a way that doesn’t automatically split those on deck from those below, and that those below would rather not feel entombed. If that’s you, and there’s a strong chance it could be, roll up. Plus, with a baseboat price of £233,000, it delivers an awful lot of cleverly, practically designed boat for the money.
to extend that to all Beneteaus range is to simply show your prejudice

AWBs can and do cross oceans in their 100s every year , in fact AWBs make up the majority of boats doing so . They manage it well in the vast majority of cases.

Quote:
and your summary is not borne out by real world experience , you are taking occasional serious incidences and generalising . You DO NOT need a 1880s designed tank to cross most oceans at the appropriate time of the year and equally conditions exist that will sink the "tank as well "

why people like you persist in propagating this nonsense is beyond me , I think its just envy myself
( Oh I see you own a sabre, I believe sabre don't make sailing boating anymore, funny that , so yet another american doing down a huge successful industry, AWB boats , its getting tired and petty listening constantly to this nonsense , while the rest of the world just goes sailing in AWB)

Two beneteaus I know just finished an Atlantic crossing quite far North too ( I wouldn't have recommended it ) , They arrived fine . I'm taking a Jeaneau 54DS across in Nov, wouldn't give me the slightest concern

come back to us when you crossed oceans in these boats and then you might have a point to listen too
Old 14-08-2022, 04:10   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
first lets not extend a review about a SPECIFIC boat to a whole range of different boats

This review was soley about the Sense range and it gives it a glowing review

to extend that to all Beneteaus range is to simply show your prejudice

AWBs can and do cross oceans in their 100s every year , in fact AWBs make up the majority of boats doing so . They manage it well in the vast majority of cases.

and your summary is not borne out by real world experience , you are taking occasional serious incidences and generalising . You DO NOT need a 1880s designed tank to cross most oceans at the appropriate time of the year and equally conditions exit that will sink the "tank as well "

why people like you persist in propagating this nonsense is beyond me , I think its just envy myself
Don't forget, just because they can and do cross oceans doesn't mean that's really what they're meant for. There are many cases in the world of "it's meant to do X, but with appropriate use, yes, you can do Y and Z with it".

Nor does that idea mean that an ancient, heavy tank is any better a tool for crossing oceans. Regardless of the basic design they're following there's still a difference between boats that were really meant to cross oceans regularly and boats that are capable of it with proper care, but were really built for another purpose.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 04:26   #4
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Don't forget, just because they can and do cross oceans doesn't mean that's really what they're meant for. There are many cases in the world of "it's meant to do X, but with appropriate use, yes, you can do Y and Z with it".

Nor does that idea mean that an ancient, heavy tank is any better a tool for crossing oceans. Regardless of the basic design they're following there's still a difference between boats that were really meant to cross oceans regularly and boats that are capable of it with proper care, but were really built for another purpose.
The vast majority of sailors don't " cross oceans regularly", extended ocean cruising is a very rare undertaking ,a small coterie of sailors cross major oceans and almost all do it during the best weather conditions possible.

Most yachts spend their time coastal cruising , Scotland to the canaries is a big journey for example but its along an exposed coastline and is arguably much more arduous s then a " tradewinds " atlantic crossing

The basic boats are more then adequately strong for occasional oceanic deep sea travelling along typical leisure routes and times , but sailors buy boats for the 90% not the 10% and boat builders respond accordingly.

So for many ( and me ) I want interior volume, light , large cockpits and easy to sail stuff. the last thing I need is a dark hole of a boat that dead in light airs or back up like a pig with attitude

Yachts are not single use machines

a trade winds crossing is not a Paris-Dakar undertaking , that's more like sailing teh two Capes, and in that cases yeah sure a Sabre 36 , HR , Amel etc isn't going to cut that either, you need high end custom yachts like Pelagic , solely designed to survive these journeys , Thats paris-Dakar and no standard leisure yacht is suited
Old 14-08-2022, 04:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good Summary of Beneteau Strengths...

Or a Westerly like El Ping...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 05:17   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

A custom design expedition yacht need not resemble a naval vessel on the interior nor the boorish minimalist design of a vessel trying to be a condominium.
The manatee crew enjoys living on a well designed YACHT. To combine safety, style and workmanship is a fine art not found in production boats.
Please. Plastic toy boats belong in the bathtub.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 05:26   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
A custom design expedition yacht need not resemble a naval vessel on the interior nor the boorish minimalist design of a vessel trying to be a condominium.
The manatee crew enjoys living on a well designed YACHT. To combine safety, style and workmanship is a fine art not found in production boats.
mark you have a custom built 60 foot expedition yacht , that's so niche as to be irrelevant to the vast vast number of sailors
Old 14-08-2022, 05:46   #8
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

I like Beneteau. There is nothing wrong with designing and building a boat to the use and purposes of 90% of the boating public.

The Figaro is an amazing solo or double-handed racer. The First series are good racer/cruisers.

After the post on the Beneteau 393 Oceanis, which is marketed as a blue-water cruiser, disintegrating in a mid-Atlantic gale, with portlights blown out, bulkheads ruptured, and other damage, I question whether all their craft are suitable for blue-water cruising, a frequent inquiry on this listserv.

Those who ignore the risks and dangers when answering a novice's question about suitability are doing a disservice to the inquiry.

There is nothing wrong with accepting the idea that a particular sailboat is designed and built for a specific purpose, or even a general purpose. But, sorry, the idea that a particular boat is the ideal entertainment platform, a competitive racer, and an adequate blue-water cruiser is absurd.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 05:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I agree.. Took 2 <35ft Bene's solo W to E across the N Atlantic bathtub...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 14-08-2022, 06:22   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
After the post on the Beneteau 393 Oceanis, which is marketed as a blue-water cruiser, disintegrating in a mid-Atlantic gale, with portlights blown out, bulkheads ruptured, and other damage, I question whether all their craft are suitable for blue-water cruising, a frequent inquiry on this listserv.

There is nothing wrong with accepting the idea that a particular sailboat is designed and built for a specific purpose, or even a general purpose. But, sorry, the idea that a particular boat is the ideal entertainment platform, a competitive racer, and an adequate blue-water cruiser is absurd.
You need to study that accident, it would have wiped out a lot of boats , but what about the 4 other 393s I know personally that crossed the altantic , so you damm a whole range on the back of one incident , if that was so , none should buy a Amel ( mast failed ), Oyster ( keel fell off) or Discovery yacht

dont be silly extrapolating a few incidences and ignoring the 1000s of successful transoceanic crossing in AWBs over the years

of course boats are a compromise and its right and proper the are designed to do the 90% well, but the fact is they can also sail across oceans too, managed by careful and skilled people takeing appropriate care and properly equipped

we have an amazing range of capable boats in the latest boat designees largely built better then every before in any given price point . Modern aesthetics, good sail handling, reliable engines , comfortable mod cons

I did a atlantic crossing in 40 kts of wind at times, we never got the decks wet !!. Ive taken a stock AWB through F10 storm in the atlantic , she was fine , teh crew were a bit beat !!)
Old 14-08-2022, 06:31   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I would NEVER attempt to sail my Beneteau across the Atlantic!

Because I don’t have the necessary knowledge and skills. The boat would be fine.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 06:37   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I would NEVER attempt to sail my Beneteau across the Atlantic!

Because I don’t have the necessary knowledge and skills. The boat would be fine.
correct . the vast majority of sailors neither have the time, the inclination , or desire to cross oceans and some have recognised their own limitations as you do . The boat is the least of ones issues in general
Old 14-08-2022, 07:17   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Why try to glorify or sell this over any other brand boat?

They are what they are - an entry level boat with a flat hull bow section prone to slamming but at an affordable price. Good weekend sailboat with an emphasis on style over substance.

I have nothing against these boats and our son had a 46 ft Beneteau for a few years which he enjoyed doing some lake sailing. Nothing to rave about.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 08:10   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the same reason they feel compelled to abuse slow dark caves with long keels.. obviously never been on a Nicholson 32 or a Sagitta 30 for example.. or an LM 27..

Old 14-08-2022, 13:14   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Beneteau is a family run business since 1884. Their sales are $1.62 Billion.
They produce 10,000 hulls a year. Their stock is up .36. They have more sailors on the water than any other brand.
Starting Benni Bash after Benni Bash reveals a lot, it doesn’t change Beneteau’s future a bit. The brand you think is far superior isn’t in business.
Some of the folks suggesting boats twice their price there are 4 built a year of are in old boats and can’t afford the Beneteau.
You’ve made a better buying choice, goody.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau