Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2022, 06:23   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
Just wanted to look; fell in love-- Morgan 28

Hello to y'all wonderful, like-minded, financially dumb decision makers (I mean who else would buy a sailboat?) I want to join you.

I introduced myself back in 2020 and have been "looking" around since then. Nothing really serious at first, too busy setting up our lives here in S. Florida. It is also nearly impossible to find an affordable place to store a boat here in Miami-Dade, especially in the water. That has really put a damper on my search.

Now I dun did it though. I fell in love with a 1969 Morgan 28. There was even an article written about this exact boat "Plan B", well about a former owner really, but the boat is also in there. I found it last night after incessantly searching for information about Morgan 28s as soon as I got back from the boat:

https://yourcruisingeditor.wordpress.../#comment-4309

Today the motor has a blown head gasket, it really needs to be sanded down and refinished, it does not look like anything was done with it since this article was written. The current owner got it in bad condition he says. He has pictures that he repainted the bottom and replaced the through holes in 2020. Pictures attached. He still wants $8k for the boat.

I guess the first thing I should do is get a survey done, not sure how practical that is going to be, but will reach out to a few here in Miami. See when they have time. I assume that I would be paying between $500 - 700 for that?

I am sure that there is a BUNCH that needs to be done. The little 9hp motor that is attached to the back seems to work well. Should I feel secure enough with the boat at one point to want to leave the Biscayne Bay, I should probably look into getting the motor repaired or replaced. The current owner recommends just replacing it, he wanted to go electric. From what I have seen, should the motor really not be salvageable, I would need to spend at least $5k (if I do a lot myself and get a refurbished motor). Anyone know how easy it is to get diesel here in S. Florida? Or should I just go for a gas motor? Currently it has a diesel (paperweight) motor and the prop was removed.

I just can't stop thinking about the thing darnit. I have looked at a few (Hunter) 23 - (J)25 boats already, but just being able to walk down the (very narrow) stairs in the Morgan and STAND in the below deck was such a luxury, I do not want to go back. I also really like the looks of the boat and have not read anything bad about 1969 Morgans. If I can now also convince the Sailing club where it is moored to allow me to take over the ball it is on, I think I am going to elope! Just have a mooring ball is worth just risking it with the boat. I am on 3 waiting lists, none UNDER 12 months... for a mooring ball!!!

I'd love to hear any feedback, experience with Morgan 28s, ridicule if necessary, or whatever this group thinks I should consider.

Thanks for reading and also for creating and furthering this WONDERFUL resource of knowledge and participation. I have spent hours reading and searching here over the past 2 years.

Thanks und Danke,

William
wtubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 11:42   #2

Re: Just wanted to look; fell in love

I guess I should have included Morgan 28 in the title.
Old 15-02-2022, 11:49   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Unless you're a pro with replace boat engines and head work, skip it. Blown head gasket is rarely just the gasket. Just to have somebody do the gasket and remachine the head is $1000, that's if YOU remove the head. God knows what else is wrong with it.

Want a Morgan 28, wait for one. Keep your options open. Skip this one.
Old 15-02-2022, 12:08   #4

My first boat back in 2005 was "only" a 23 year old 27 footer. But it still required lots of work and attention. Which I'm glad I had time and patience for back then. Not sure if I'd care to repeat that experience now, as valuable as it was.

You're looking at a 53 year old boat for which I'm sure the headgasket is only the tiny tip of the huge iceberg. For anything over 20-25 years old, unless you're into neverending projects and repairs, you need a babied well cared for example so you can start sailing from day one. And even then you will spend a lot of time and $$$ fixing things. That's just the nature of the beast.

Also on a $8,000 53 year old boat in so-so condition (politely speaking) a good surveyor worth his fee most likely will find way more that $8,000 worth of issues. Will you still offer anything for the boat? Will the seller PAY you the difference to take it off his hands?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 12:09   #5

I think it is over priced. That's a good, but very old boat. I think it's over priced if the engine is running fine actually.

About 10 years ago I looked at an early 70's Islander 30. The boat had a new Yanmar 3 cyl engine, new standing rigging, new furler and headsail and a new mainsail. Among other things. That must have been ~$14000 of recent upgrades alone. ?
The gel coat was not great. The new sails were Chinese made.
Granted it was a bit of a fire sale during a recession. I asked "what the bottom dollar would be?" And he said "a firm $5500 might take it" I would have bought it, but was trying to figure out if I even wanted another boat at the time.
At the same time I hesitated on a Catalina 27 with inboard old diesel engine at $3000 only to find the owner gave it away a couple days later!

Thus is the story of old boats that size. In non running condition, they are at the point of being very cheap and nearly give away. It costs money to own and store them. So if you want a project, then maybe consider it, but dont pay even close to $8k for it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 12:25   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

If you are vulnerable to infatuation, don't look.

(This applies to sailboats too.)
Old 15-02-2022, 12:28   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

It is overpriced if it needs engine work. Personally I wouldn't get a survey on a $8K boat but I wouldn't be paying $8K for it either. Maybe $4K and only if you really want to get a project boat (be honest with yourself). Even if you could get it for $4K or less "cheap boats" are expensive. It will probably be expensive if they let you have it for a dollar.

It will be a labor of love with emphasis on labor. Now entirely possible with boat prices being stupid right now you can't get that boat at any reasonable price in which case I would just skip it. If you don't want to do the work though walk away now at any price. This won't be buy it and go sailing into the sunset next weekend. This will be buy it and find 150+ things to do in the boatyard and then maybe sail into the sunset.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 12:32   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
If you are vulnerable to infatuation, don't look.

(This applies to sailboats too.)
Yeah, good luck with that.
Old 15-02-2022, 12:50   #9

The fact that they bolted on an OB when the inboard diesel died tells me all I need to hear regarding the maintenance history of that vessel.

The market is very high, inventory is very low. Most of what is out there has been passed over 100 times over the last 2 years.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 12:58   #10

I am slowly coming to the realization that this may be a bad idea...

My current alternative is a J24 anchored at an old marine stadium that I could probably get for $3k. I REALLY just want to get back out on the water sailing. Maybe I should go for that until I can get a mooring ball, I am on a few waiting lists (years). Then I can upgrade...

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 15-02-2022, 14:49   #11

Boat: Gemini 3200

If you haven't had a sailboat before consider a trailer sailer. Storage costs are much lower, maintenance is much simpler. Learn to sail with a small boat (16 to 23 feet) before you take on something bigger. If it turns out you don't like it you can be in and out cheaply. If you do like it you can move up to a bigger boat whenever you're ready. The experience is transferable but the cost isn't.

It's a luxury to be able to stand up and walk around in the cabin but the price is excessive. As Davies said in "The Riddle of the Sands":

“You see,” were Davies’s reassuring words, “there’s plenty of room to sit upright” (which was strictly true; but I am not very tall, and he is short). “Some people make a point of head-room, but I never mind much about it.”
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 15:06   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Just wanted to look; fell in love-- Morgan 28

wtubbs: Saw your request for a title change. It has been changed, but it looks like so is your mind! PM me if you'd like it changed again, easy to add "& others" . It will show up on subsequent posts.

JPA Cate
Old 15-02-2022, 16:07   #13

$8k plus $5k looks like $14k, plus you mention possibly more. I would either get a 20’-25’ trailer sailer or a $15k boat. Going higher on your price won’t remove the need to really go over the boat or get a survey, but you’re odds are better you’ll be able to sail immediately or soon after you get it.

This one seems way over price.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 18:22   #14

Hello all, too late. I did it. I talked him down to $5,000 and will be signing the paperwork on Saturday. I am probably making an expensive mistake, but hey, it is my first boat over 20ft. Hell, my first boat with winches!

I am hoping that I can learn fast as the boat is said to be easy to sail for beginners. It has such a shoal draft at just 36" I should be good for cruising around Biscayne Bay.

Both feet in at once! Just feeling a bit scared now that we have come to an agreement, but what is the worst that could happen? I lose $5k. I bought a hot tub... new in 2021. So I've lost more on other bad investments.

Morgan 28 classic is just such a good looking boat that can handle a bunch!

Wish me luck!
Old 23-02-2022, 07:26   #15

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Were you able to keep the mooring ball?

Lot of responses have focused on the dead diesel, but for local cruising I would think just keep the outboard setup, pretty common on sub-30 footers. A good future project could be to pull the dead motor so you can make use of the space (fresh water tank?).

Make sure you have confidence in the mast/rigging, steering/rudder, and outboard. Do a good once-over of the electrical and cooking systems for any fire hazards. Make sure all through-hulls seem secure and can be closed. That should keep you afloat, not on fire, and able to get home. Everything else you can chip away at.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted, morgan