Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 12:29   #1

Lagoon 77?

I’m a wife and mother to seven kids, and we’re looking to liveaboard and travel w five of our kids.

The Lagoon 77 is definitely a dream boat for us. I love how spacious it is, and I think the extra bonus room would be perfect for our kids. However, I know it’s on the bigger end. Is this sort of boat suitable for passages/long distance/blue water? We’re planning on starting out in the Med, but eventually we’ll want to circumnavigate. If you own a 77, or you’ve spent time on one, please reach out, I’d love to figure out if this boat is a good fit for us.

Is it possible for a family to maneuver/care for a boat this size? Our oldest son who’d be on the boat (14) is interested in sailing, and I’m fairly certain all the kids would enjoy pitching in. But at the end of the day, they can’t care for a boat all day, and I don’t want to make an investment like this if we can’t properly care for it. If you would recommend hiring a skipper, how did you select one who would work with your family dynamic?

Thanks for any advice! We’re not set on the 77, and other recommended boats would be great.
LAXTravelMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 13:41   #2

Re: Lagoon 77?

There is a nice used Catana 90 for sale right now if you think the Lagoon 77 may be a tad small.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 14:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
There is a nice used Catana 90 for sale right now if you think the Lagoon 77 may be a tad small.
I think we’d only consider a used model if it was updated... Since we’ll most likely purchase our boat in Florida, we aren’t dying to spend time updating upholstery, etc. If you could add the link though, that would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2020, 16:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXTravelMom View Post
I think we’d only consider a used model if it was updated... Since we’ll most likely purchase our boat in Florida, we aren’t dying to spend time updating upholstery, etc. If you could add the link though, that would be appreciated.
I think for this size boat, the upholstery is your least concern. The boat will need to be maintained by professionals, likely at a huge yearly cost. What those costs are I have no idea, but $150,000-$250,000 a year doesn't sound far-fetched to me. Could be more. I doubt it will be much less.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 16:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
I think for this size boat, the upholstery is your least concern. The boat will need to be maintained by professionals, likely at a huge yearly cost. What those costs are I have no idea, but $150,000-$250,000 a year doesn't sound far-fetched to me. Could be more. I doubt it will be much less.
Yes, we’re prepared to spend quite a lot on maintenance. However, the way we see it, we’ll be greatly reducing costs when it comes to travel, entertainment, and things like vehicles. Things like upholstery aren’t exactly the defining factor, but we aren’t really looking for an older/used boat.

Tags
lagoon