Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 08:49   #1

Dufour 485/525 or Oceanis 45

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a boat to cruise the Med for a couple of weeks a year with my family. I am rather new to boating but did do some charters in Greece.
I am having a look at some Dufour 485/525 (don't see much difference, 525 only 2 ft longer) from 2007/9 and at an Oceanis 45 from 2012. I find storage (both have sail locker) rather important as well as inside seating at both sides (seems comfortable to be able to sit regardless side the boat, or is this completely irrelevant). The Dufours are a bit more equiped with electric winches and teak deck and have additional space in the transom but the Oceanis has the nice swimming platform.
Any experiences, thoughts other boats to consider (I also considered Jeanneau but many boats in the Med have more heads than my house has bathrooms which I really detest).
mabedicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:59   #2

Re: Dufour 485/525 or Oceanis 45

I would go with the Oceanis. So much more comfortable and fit for Med cruising. The design is fresh and up-to-date. And it works, they’ve been tested in charter, schools, Med cruise, ocean passage making etc.. . Lot of boat for the price no matter how much better are the boats that cost twice. Dufour is great too. Easier to maintain and more resilient wit the wear and tear, no liner and spartan interior make for easy to keep clean and looking good.

FYI: Buying a boat in the Med at this time of the year is not optimal. Buyer market is Sept-Oct. Now it is a seller market, they all rely on the opening charter season making money while passively waiting for the best offer. I’d do the same. At the end of the season with no income in the horizon, marina fees, depreciation and maintenance hurting the pocket... and lease payments... in a market flooded with other boats for sale.... that is the time when the offers have the most chance to be welcomed. I’ll be there looking for a boat (again) this fall. Cheers.
kreemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:23   #3

Re: Dufour 485/525 or Oceanis 45

If it works for your family, consider staying between 42'and 45'. And in the Mediterranean, you should consider Bavaria too. They're quite popular here - specially with Germans who often enjoy maintaining their boat - and not all of them are as horrible as the very early models were. Same in the Adriatic for the Elan and Salona.

Unrelated to this question, also for a berth. Finding a marina in the Mediterranean can be really annoying.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour, oceanis