Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 06:18   #1

FerroCement sailing Yacht

Hallo,

I recently bought a ferrocement sailing boat.
There are some parts of the deck where the concrete degraded and I now want to fix that.
But I am not sure which steps I need make.
Where do I start and which coating products are the best fit for a concrete hull?

thank you very muchhttps://youtu.be/JQ2B4ywClMk
F.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 06:20   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: FerroCement sailing Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O. View Post
Hallo,

I recently bought a ferrocement sailing boat.
There are some parts of the deck where the concrete degraded and I now want to fix that.
But I am not sure which steps I need make.
Where do I start and which coating products are the best fit for a concrete hull?

thank you very much
Is there any chance of a photo of the deck? (pretty hard to comment without seeing the "degradation")
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 06:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Concrete deck?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 13:57   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

The video posted looks like thick layers of paint coming off of possibly spalling concrete. You may be able to fix the concrete with some sort of epoxy repair material. Others may have specific ideas about which one(s) to use. The paint will need to be sanded and repainted. Looks like about a month of work indoors or 30 days of favorable weather, unless you have a crew of four or five to help you.

The spalling concrete may be an indication of problems with the reinforcement structure inside the concrete matrix. Often it gets wet and starts to rust. This causes it to expand, cracking the concrete, which allows more water to enter. Failure of the painted coating on the deck may have started this happening. Investigating this may require opening up the deck to see. This is why ferrocement boats are cheaper to buy. They can be expensive to fix.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 16:37   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

HI F.O.
Does this abbreviation stands for anything? Hopefully not what came first to my mind

As per your video clip, the steel wires in the concrete are visible. It is not a paint that protects the steel armature, but the concrete itself: being homogeneous cement that has no voids and is not cracked.
If it is cracked, moisture will enter and start the corrosion of the steel, steel expands and will keep continue to crack the concrete and thus destroying its integrity and strength.

The only way for repairing I know, is to chip and grind the concrete away from the top and from the inside, until nice clean steel is showing, then use either new concrete (with the correct additives), or use thick epoxy. For large areas you can use woven mats to reinforce as well. Do no apply too much epoxy at one time as the curing reaction is exotherm, meaning it produces heat, and could start burning. Hmmm, once I had a repair starting to smoke.... had to redo the job.
When applying epoxy in a larger hole, you will need something from underneath to stop it sagging, ie a board, or a board covered with some closed cell foam to conform to a curve of the deck.

After you do the deck, expect that after a few months or so, you will find patches that may need further repair. If the hull is like the deck..... maybe the job is too big to be able to be repaired economically or from a strength point of view.

I had a ferro boat myself for 20 years, and repaired /worked on several others as well.
Old 30-08-2020, 17:18   #6

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

"HI F.O.
Does this abbreviation stands for anything? Hopefully not what came first to my mind."

famke opdam

It's the name associated with the YouTube account where the above video was posted.
Old 30-08-2020, 17:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FerroCement sailing Yacht

Care & repair

https://www.concreteconstruction.net...-hull-damage_o

I would hesitate to use just epoxy and glass.. it won't last given different expansion/contraction rates..
The materials to do it right are cheap enough so follow the experts advice.. buy the book and do it right.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Care & repair

https://www.concreteconstruction.net...-hull-damage_o

I would hesitate to use just epoxy and glass.. it won't last given different expansion/contraction rates..
The materials to do it right are cheap enough so follow the experts advice.. buy the book and do it right.
what book do you mean?
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
HI F.O.
Does this abbreviation stands for anything? Hopefully not what came first to my mind

As per your video clip, the steel wires in the concrete are visible. It is not a paint that protects the steel armature, but the concrete itself: being homogeneous cement that has no voids and is not cracked.
If it is cracked, moisture will enter and start the corrosion of the steel, steel expands and will keep continue to crack the concrete and thus destroying its integrity and strength.

The only way for repairing I know, is to chip and grind the concrete away from the top and from the inside, until nice clean steel is showing, then use either new concrete (with the correct additives), or use thick epoxy. For large areas you can use woven mats to reinforce as well. Do no apply too much epoxy at one time as the curing reaction is exotherm, meaning it produces heat, and could start burning. Hmmm, once I had a repair starting to smoke.... had to redo the job.
When applying epoxy in a larger hole, you will need something from underneath to stop it sagging, ie a board, or a board covered with some closed cell foam to conform to a curve of the deck.

After you do the deck, expect that after a few months or so, you will find patches that may need further repair. If the hull is like the deck..... maybe the job is too big to be able to be repaired economically or from a strength point of view.

I had a ferro boat myself for 20 years, and repaired /worked on several others as well.
By 'woven mats' do you mean fibre glass?

I have read that fibre glass is also used on ferrocement boats to fix cracks. Do you recommend me using fibre glass, and if so, the whole deck or only for fixing the small areas?
Old 01-09-2020, 10:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

there are a variety of concrete or grout sealers on the market used in the construction industry....excellent stuff....the grout sealers tend to be smooth like mayonaise, easy to put on, the concrete sealers a bit more gritty.......you can google them or go to your local Ace hardware or Home Depot..there many different varieties used for different purposes....you need to study some of the material to decide which to use....some can be injected from a cartridge, others scraped from a tub...but very strong....make sure that whatever you use is the " non-shrink" variety....before slathering it on....you also need to " nuetralize" exposed steel...again....several products available....just paint it on and let it dry..and then cover with the grout....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FerroCement sailing Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O. View Post
what book do you mean?
Its in the Care & Repair link.. 'Ferro-Cement Boats'... by Colin Brookes.mSNAME.amRINA.
available at www.hartley-boats.com

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 14:12   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

some time back in the construction world there was an attempt to add fiberglass strands to concrete to help with tensile strength, but there was no way of telling of which way the strands would orient themselves, get knotted...tangled...etc...so the idea was abandoned...
I've been in the marine construction business a long time. There are several excellent grout materials available for "patching"...far too many to list or recommend here, but most are readily available. Just do a modicum of online research....just google " grout for concrete repair"...or find someone in the marine construction business and ask what products they use.....they will direct you....it's all pretty straight forward....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro, men, sail, sailing, yacht