Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 05:53   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: 55 Foot Ferro Ketch Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailordave65 View Post
What would you like to know. Sorry you don’t feel there is enough information. I’m doing this for a friend who’s husband died while building the boat. If you want to know more you need to ask b
I accept your apology. But seriously, at this point you haven't done your friend any favors. So far your half hearted attempt to sell something that would be almost impossible to give away has been a waste of everyone's time. Just moving the hull will cost more than you want for it & finishing it will cost a fortune & take many years. And then, at the end of the day, you've got a ferro cement boat that would still be tough to sell.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 10:21   #17

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I accept your apology. But seriously, at this point you haven't done your friend any favors. So far your half hearted attempt to sell something that would be almost impossible to give away has been a waste of everyone's time. Just moving the hull will cost more than you want for it & finishing it will cost a fortune & take many years. And then, at the end of the day, you've got a ferro cement boat that would still be tough to sell.
Scout 30 is right on this. You won't even be able to give this away as the cost to move it will be way more than it is worth, which is next to nothing. If it was already in the water, you might find someone to take it off your hands.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:46   #18

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Photos (David if you ever want to repost these photos somewhere else (on a forum), just click "Quote", copy the message and paste it into the one.

Old 15-02-2018, 15:22   #19

Boat: Coast 30

That is a sad case of a project started with out a business plan. Because: even without one it is immediately obvious that the cost of time. Materials. And shop rent has to far exceed the value of the finished product.

Even though as Ferro cement hulls go it appears to be one of the better ones. It would have been more commercially viable if it had been built in traditional wooden construction.

The cost of completion would have been about the same. And the desirability would have been greater.

I suppose that it is possible that some dreamer could get emotionally drawn into it.

10 trades people. Working 40 hours per week.. multiply by 136 working days per year. At $30 per hour. Minimum wage bill $1.632.000.

That is before considering the materials and overhead. So definitely a non commercial propersiton.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 16:26   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

It sure is a nice looking hull. Any details of the construction materials and methods use -- i.e. stainless mesh? plastered all in one go? Anything that might raise a buyer's confidence level above the usual suspicion of ferro boats?

I believe that the crappy ones have fallen apart and sunk (and given all the rest a bad name). The good ones may float for a century. But ... a new one, untested and without a detailed history, is a huge unknown.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:00   #21

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

Hello, who is the designer ? Guy, former insurance broker from Lloyd's of London.
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:41   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
That is a sad case of a project started with out a business plan. Because: even without one it is immediately obvious that the cost of time. Materials. And shop rent has to far exceed the value of the finished product.

Even though as Ferro cement hulls go it appears to be one of the better ones. It would have been more commercially viable if it had been built in traditional wooden construction.

The cost of completion would have been about the same. And the desirability would have been greater.

I suppose that it is possible that some dreamer could get emotionally drawn into it.

10 trades people. Working 40 hours per week.. multiply by 136 working days per year. At $30 per hour. Minimum wage bill $1.632.000.

That is before considering the materials and overhead. So definitely a non commercial propersiton.
I think the cost of a wood hull up to this point would have been much greater. Steel would probably have been the most cost effective. It does look like a seaworthy design & the hull appears to be quite fair. The designer's name would help as would the technique & materials used. I hate to say this but finding the right person to commit to this project is more important that getting paid for the hull. If you can find someone willing complete the husband's dream, in my opinion, it would make sense to give the hull to them.

I wonder how may unfinished boat projects there are in this country.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 06:49   #23

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

I wonder how may unfinished boat projects there are in this country.
The marina we use for winter haul out has one sitting in the yard. If I recall, very similar in design, just not as big, maybe 40'.

Anyway, I can't tell you how many years it has been sitting there. It's been a very long time.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 15:55   #24

Boat: Coast 30

So Scott 30... It was not my intention to suggest that a traditioal construction wooden hull wood be cheaper. My point was that finishing up one would be about the same cost. So that once launched there would be a better chance of selling it for what it cost. Custom built over 2 million.

With Ferro cement the old English saying about you cannot make a silk purse out of a showed ear can be invoked..

What the Ferro cement erra was all about was allowing BIG Boat dreamers to produce a huge hull for very little money that they could not afford to complete in terms of money or expended life time.

Thus I also have been trying to make the general point concerned with the difficulty of trying to fullfil your boat ownership dream's through self employment.

Guy...As a Retired Lloyds insurance agent. How about a Lloyds drop test on this one?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferro, ketch