Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 05:17   #1

Need advice on fair price for a Beneteau Oceanis

Hello to the forum,
I am considering placing an offer on a 1990 mid sized Beneteau Oceanis. I've been asking a lot of questions to a receptive seller (so far, the owner) and have a good first impression. I have not seen the boat in person as it is very far away and that would come later. The owner seems to be a meticulous chap who keeps on top of maintenance. So much so that he believes his boat to be the "best" one in its category and has priced it accordingly. I wish to make a fair offer but this will be well below his asking price of $100K.

Can anybody give a ballpark figure for what a boat like this would sell for? Original engine with 2500hrs, 3rd owner, not chartered, newish sails (2015 main, 2017 Genoa), keelbolts replaced with original OEM, electronics (2010), generator (1995), newish dinghy (2017), solar & wind. Rigging due for change (2009), no watermaker, no liferaft, original electrical circuits, original water and fuel tanks. Hit a container ship that damaged the bow and brought the rigging down. Owner claims well repaired under the supervision/guidance of Beneteau.

If there is anyone on the forum that is a broker or has access to boat sales figures for sisterships that you could share that would be very helpful! Any general feel for the fair price of this model/age boat (assuming above average condition?) would also help heaps. How much might the repair (from the accident) affect the price?

Many thanks to all.
Bambooboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 05:26   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
re: Need advice on fair price for a Beneteau Oceanis

I’m sorry......did you say “hit a container ship and brought the rig down”?

That’s the only part that gives me pause. What sort of “hit” and what exactly brought the rig down?

It’s nice that the keel bolts were changed, but why? I wouldn’t think that an 18 year old well maintained boat would require that without some other incident. Unless the PO is really that pro-active.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:24   #3

Hi Sailmonkey,

Apparently the owner had an accident where he hit a ship, did damage to the bow of the boat and had the mast fall over. I've had a friend on the boat who suggested the repair was well done and happen to know the workmanship of the (fiberglass) repairer. The mast and rigging (all but the chainplates) were replaced new. I would certainly have a surveyor inspect the repair closely before any decision is made. For now I am assuming the boat has been repaired correctly (as that can be done) but that the history would have an impact on the resale value. I will want to sell some day and don't want to learn that the boat is cursed for all expect my enthusiastic self wanting to become a boat owner!

1990 makes it nearly 30 years old. I can accept a proactive owner inspecting the keel bolts and hey, while you're at it why not replace them? But you make a good point in that there may be history there than is yet to be uncovered.
Old 14-06-2018, 06:28   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooboat View Post
Hi Sailmonkey,

1990 makes it nearly 30 years old. I can accept a proactive owner inspecting the keel bolts and hey, while you're at it why not replace them? But you make a good point in that there may be history there than is yet to be uncovered.

You’re right, simple math got away from me this morning. Keel bolt replacement at 30 years makes more sense.

If the boat is higher priced than others that haven’t had “ship” damage, I’d inspect carefully and use the amount of damage repaired vs the condition of other comps to formulate an offer.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:21   #5

Boat: 40' Leopard

That is a pretty high price .
My advice is run!!!
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:29   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

60K after good survey and sea trial.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:00   #7

Boat: Seaward 25

How long ago did the collision occur? If several years ago, any lingering issues should have surfaced and been addressed. If only recently I would probably look elsewhere. As above, $60,000 seems more in line.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:18   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

28 years old, damage history are both negatives.
original engine - neutral.
newer rig - positive
highest price on the market - negative.
is the boat in the tropics? - yes, negative.
in the water 12 months a year? - yes, negative.

I think 60k is the most he's likely to get for the boat.
I'd suggest letting the deal cool off for a month and re-open negotiations at 50K.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 13:35   #9

The collision was in 2009 and the boat has been with this owner since 2000. I'd expect no lingering issues, to be confirmed by a positive survey.
Old 14-06-2018, 13:37   #10

Rig was replaced in 2009, so yes newer rig but standing rigging now due for a change. Boat lives in the tropics, used (maybe lightly?) year round.
Old 14-06-2018, 13:56   #11

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
28 years old, damage history are both negatives.
original engine - neutral.
newer rig - positive
highest price on the market - negative.
is the boat in the tropics? - yes, negative.
in the water 12 months a year? - yes, negative.

I think 60k is the most he's likely to get for the boat.
I'd suggest letting the deal cool off for a month and re-open negotiations at 50K.
This.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 14:25   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How much with that history?

beneteau 430 Boats For Sale

You might want to sell it one day and that history will put buyers off.

Got a link?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 14:58   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bear in mind that a Beneteau is not a typical make. The "keel bolts" are not J-bolts embedded in a lead keel. The normal keels are cast iron, with a fairly short metal stud embedded in them, and it is a normal service procedure to undo the "keel bolt" and replace it due to ordinary rust. Beneteau provides direction and parts and this can be done one at a time without hauling.

Beneteau may also have brass through hulls, which may have been changed out for bronze long ago.

And some models may have a carbon-fiber rudder post, which eliminates the issue of old stainless posts failing.

It may also be worth checking with Beneteau that the new mast is comparable to the original, and if not, what the differences are. Anything over 40' long complicates shipping, so a replacement may be sleeved from two shorter pieces, which would lower the resale value to some folks.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 15:04   #14

For 85000 € can you find a Bavaria 43 build in 2008 in perfect condition, nice and clean, electric winches, inverter, solar pannels, micro wave, 1000 engine hours or less, furler in the mast, elec winch, ... .

If you like to go for a 43 build in 1990 than is 45000 - 50000 in a perfect state the max.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 04:02   #15

Thank you all. This is great stuff to learn before buying rather that when wanting to sell.
However a couple of years ago there was a post here on CF for a sistership ('92 Beneteau Oceanis 430 Rhea) with an asking price of $129K. The seller said he had recently upgraded to the tune of $80K. The interest on the forum seemed high with many praising the boat in what appeared like an acceptable price. Would the maths here be $80K upgrades + $50K value of the boat = 130K? I wouldn't think anyone would get back a dollar for dollar spent on upgrades.

Tags
beneteau, oceanis, price