Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2020, 16:59   #1

Lagoon 380 a blue water boat?

Are there many Lagoon 380 owners out there with feedback on its performance in blue water? Is the size sufficient for a comfortable (subjective, I know) two-person live aboard?
ATCPinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 17:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lagoon 380 a blue water boat?

Not an owner but have delivered several..
The 380 owners version is to my mind the best of the Lagoons for two people.. plenty enough room, tankage and storage..
As for crossing oceans.. in season handled well no problems.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 17:21   #3

Re: Lagoon 380 a blue water boat?

Thanks Boatman - that's what I was hoping to hear. Any feedback on being a freelance delivery skipper? Considering doing that as a side job during retirement...
ATCPinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 08:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Depends on your location really..
Here in Portugal I average maybe 3 jobs a year but I prefer the long haul trips... 1K nm plus W to E transats being my favourite.
Do get a lot of asks for US to US jobs but not having a work permit makes them a no go..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-01-2020, 09:43   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCPinto View Post
Are there many Lagoon 380 owners out there with feedback on its performance in blue water? Is the size sufficient for a comfortable (subjective, I know) two-person live aboard?
I believe it is. I can tell you about a friend of mine who sailed around the world 1.5 times in a 38 feet cat very similar to the L38 (similar size, engines, rig, build quality, etc)
I did long legs with him in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
It all boils down to the way how you kit it up for the journey.
The vessel as it is should be fine for the purpose.
Old 26-01-2020, 10:24   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Blue water is not single catogary. Crossing the atlantic by the trade winds route in summer is very different to going the opposite way in the westerlies late season. A voyage rounding any of the great capes iss different again. Also the ability of a boat to cross oceans is as muck to do with how it is fitted out and the crew as it is to do with the hull. Think about which oceans you want to cross, when, with whom and where you want to be comfortable cruising then look at what boats are suitable and what equipment is needed.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 11:11   #7

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Look up SV Honeymoon on youtube. They did a east coast US to Austrailia in one in about 2010. Short sweet videos. They came, back, had 3 or 4 kids and are now on a bigger cat doing it again. He might reply if you send him an email. I think he is on this forum. His name is Seth I believe.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 16:32   #8

Boat: Friese 'praam', 65'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Depends on your location really..
Here in Portugal I average maybe 3 jobs a year but I prefer the long haul trips... 1K nm plus W to E transats being my favourite.
Do get a lot of asks for US to US jobs but not having a work permit makes them a no go..
Hi Boatman. We will be moving to Portugal in March. Once we're a bit settled, I'll be looking at buying a boat (currently at the top end of the Adriatic).

How long a trip would it be, do you reckon, to sail her back to, say, Lisbon? No rush - a few stops here and there on the way would be in order.
I roughly estimated 2000 - 2500 nm. depending on chosen route. Would you be interested in helping out? It is E - W and trans-Med, not W -E transat, but definitely 1000 nm+
David1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 17:45   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Large, safe and comfortable.

However, their upwind performance in choppy water is sub prime.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 17:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Give me a shout nearer the date and we can chat if I'm not busy..
Should be around two and a half to three weeks depending on favourable weather and winds.
Moving to the Algarve or the West coast.?

Old 26-01-2020, 18:11   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

"Bluewater" is in reality a rather vague & over used term. Lots of L38s have crossed oceans safetly so Id say thats pragmatic proof.

Ive put in a few miles on L38s and like them (Grendada - Panama, NYC-Bermuda-Azores, and a few shorter runs, have run them as a charter captain too).

Good bridge deck tunnel shape, not prone to pounding, decent all round performance, comfortable accomodations, good load carrying capacity for its size, mid ships heads (accessable by all without going thru a cabin). Dont like those damn escape hatches, but thats not an L38 specific issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqlac3pz6h...60509.mp4?dl=0
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 18:37   #12

JMHO, but at the size, galley down would have worked better. Their galley is very small.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 18:55   #13

Boat: Leopard 45

3 years ago we were chartering in Raiatea, and the chareter base manager talked about delivering one and being caught in really bad weather. He said he would trust his life to one. He was a very experienced old salt.
LotNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 18:58   #14

Anyone who would like to see pictures of a totally destroyed Lagoon 380 PM me and I will forward them. It will scare the heck out of you. I was in the Grand Cayman after the big hurricane a number of years ago to survey a Cabo Rico and a Bristol Channel Cutter with the owner of the SLM boat company at that time. The hull thickness below the water line where a front sponson was completely torn off the hull was 3/16" thick and even less in other areas measuring with a Starrett dial caliper. You could have walked right through that boat, it was destroyed while other well built monohulls only had superficial damage caused mostly by other vessels masts falling across them and so on. I shudder to think what would happen if you were unfortunate enough to hit a partially submerged container that came off a container ship in a storm. Most are filled with electronics packed in styrofoam and they float a few feet under the surface. It would open a Lagoon up like the Titanic. Personally, I liked them until I laid eyes on that one ! Also as a dealer for Sta Lok, their head rigger suggests replacing the rig twice as often as a monohull because the Cats can not heel and the loading on the rig is increased enormously.
Gortn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 20:07   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I imagine that the Lagoon 380 is up there with the Prout Snowgoose for the largest number of ocean passages and circumnavigation by a single model.

I'm been on a 380 and own a Snowgoose. The 380 is an (near)infinitely better boat. Though the old goose has a better SA/D, and the tiny 380 galley is a bit of a joke.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, lagoon, lagoon 380, water