Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 15:06   #46

Re: Ditch the Self-Tending Staysail Rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Athwartships track
Doesn't solve the problems, although there have been some curved ones that improved it. Many already have a straight athwartship track. Sail tracks run fore and aft so you can adjust the fairlead angle based on beating or reaching etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 15:36   #47

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You need the ability to adjust the staysail. Open the gap or close the gap. You need to adjust the sheeting angle also. You cant do that "just removing the boom".

No boom: Difficult to get the staysail trimmed. The trim angle is variable. I finally started using a for/aft track and a 4 part Barber Hauler arrangement from the toerail to get the trim correct. The fairlead on the rack gets the sheet angle right, The Barber Hauler gets the port/starboard adjustment right.
Boom: all this is taken care of, BUT you have that stuff on deck.

Solution: Get dingy davits!
Have sailed more than 10,000 miles with a loose footed staysail, no boom, without any of the issues Cheechako claims are there. The staysail trims the same as a jib. With a fore and aft track you can modify the sheet lead but we didn't find that it made all that much difference in the set of the smallish staysail. I'm a bit anal about sail trim so it wasn't a matter of not caring. Ask yourself how often you mess the jib/genoa cars??

The slot between the jib staysail is very important in a cutter rig. They are not as efficient as a larger genoa hard on the wind but the slot really comes into effect as you ease the sheets. We didn't have roller furling so had to hand the Yankee when winds got too strong. that resulted in an immediate one knot slowing of the boat running without the Yankee.

roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 16:20   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have sailed more than 10,000 miles with a loose footed staysail, no boom, without any of the issues Cheechako claims are there. The staysail trims the same as a jib. With a fore and aft track you can modify the sheet lead but we didn't find that it made all that much difference in the set of the smallish staysail. I'm a bit anal about sail trim so it wasn't a matter of not caring. Ask yourself how often you mess the jib/genoa cars??

The slot between the jib staysail is very important in a cutter rig. They are not as efficient as a larger genoa hard on the wind but the slot really comes into effect as you ease the sheets. We didn't have roller furling so had to hand the Yankee when winds got too strong. that resulted in an immediate one knot slowing of the boat running without the Yankee.
Hey Rover, Out of curiousity, how far off centerline are your staysail tracks? I often wondered if the problem on my Passport 47 and CT44 was that they were pretty far inboard. They worked for beating ok, but reaching had too much curl to the staysail clew for my liking. But I also had staysails that were more than a small sail. They didn't reach the mast but may have come close stretched flat. You can see the staysail clew in my Avatar on the 44.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 17:04   #49

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The boat was our Westsail 32 which we sold decades ago. It's still in the Kona harbor but unfortunately we've been stuck on the mainland forever with wife's medical problems so can't measure it. From memory the tracks were about 3' off centerline but could be wider and aft of the mast. The pull on the clue is aft and down like a jib which is not the case with the diagram that you or someone else posted. That diagram showed sheeting the sail straight down in front of the mast. The boat was sailed to SoPac twice after we bought it and the new owners, boat carpenters, were very happy with how the boat was set-up and weren't hesitant about changing what didn't work for them..
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39   #50

Boat: Corbin 39

Our boat I had the option of a boomed staysail, I opted out and designed myself a self tending staysail, with sheeting lines coming aft to the cockpit from the travler. We crossed the Atlantic 3 times and have never regraet it.

MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail