Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 10:00   #16

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Easiest outboard to get serviced in the Carribean?

The easiest one to get serviced is the one you service yourself. You most certainly can do the work quicker yourself than you can by hiring someone too... That said, any 2-stroke is going to be better than a 4 stroke. If you can't buy a 2-stroke here in the states, wait and buy one down in the islands.

zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

Speaking for the BVI, there are plenty of 2-strokes for sale, all the brands and sizes. I know the OP said he didn't want one, but someone else said they were unavailable, and, at least in the BVI, that is not the case.

contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:53   #18

Boat: Outbound 46

A big issue is that there are so many variants on each motor, it can be hard to source the correct parts. The Yamaha Enduro 8hp 2-stroke that we bought in Curacao is NOT the same as one purchased in Grenada. Many parts are interchangeable, but certainly not all. We had similar difficulties with our Tohatsu 4-stroke. I think is a problem for all brands.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 12:21   #19

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
A big issue is that there are so many variants on each motor, it can be hard to source the correct parts. The Yamaha Enduro 8hp 2-stroke that we bought in Curacao is NOT the same as one purchased in Grenada. Many parts are interchangeable, but certainly not all. We had similar difficulties with our Tohatsu 4-stroke. I think is a problem for all brands.
This is certainly true. The EU Tohatsu 4-stroke does not have some of the emissions controls that the US unit has. For Tohatsu, what I have seen is two variants and you need to know which you have.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:47   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I don't know the current situation but in the past the popular Yamaha (enduro?) outboards sold in the Caribbean were quite different than the "sports" versions in the U.S., and parts availability in the U.S. was a problem. Also, note that there is often a different model for the Caribbean than the US, at least in 2-strokes. I bought the US-style sport Merc 15hp 2-stroke; the lower cost fishing version in the Caribbean did not have the shifter in the tiller grip, nor the cold-weather primer pump in the carb, but otherwise shared parts. You might consider waiting and buying a new outboard at a duty-free location if the Caribbean is to be the primary location.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 00:28   #21

Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

We bought a 4 stroke Tohatsu 6hp in Martinique. I wouldn't buy one again, hard to start cold, the anti-start-in-gear mechansim is poorly designed and locks up, and finally it can kick like a mule. Scares my wife - she's reluctant to use it.

We didn't have time to go up to Sint Maarten where 2 strokes are available (or at least were in 2018). Check Budget Marine online for info. I definitely recommend a 2 stroke.

As other posters have said the Yams are everywhere in the Carib. A Yam 2 stoke would be my preference.
sailorphil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:16   #22

Boat: B27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorphil9 View Post
We bought a 4 stroke Tohatsu 6hp in Martinique. I wouldn't buy one again, hard to start cold, the anti-start-in-gear mechansim is poorly designed and locks up, and finally it can kick like a mule. Scares my wife - she's reluctant to use it.

We didn't have time to go up to Sint Maarten where 2 strokes are available (or at least were in 2018). Check Budget Marine online for info. I definitely recommend a 2 stroke.

As other posters have said the Yams are everywhere in the Carib. A Yam 2 stoke would be my preference.
That's strange as I have a 2011 Mercury 5 hp 4 stroke (made by Tohatsu) and it's been great these past 9 years using only 10% ethanol fuel

I guess you can get any answer you want on the internet
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:17   #23

Boat: Tartan 40

I have run my 15 hp 4 stroke EFI manual start tohatsu for 2 troublefree years so far. Really great quiet clean engine and eliminates carb issues. If we go further may look into spare EFI module (if it exists).

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Carribean, outboard, rib, service