Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 01:49   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Pam Wall's Sailipedia.com. Fantastic!

Have you seen Pam Wall’s new “Sailipedia” (https://sailipedia.com)? Much like how Wikipedia has changed the way we all search for encyclopedic knowledge on any topic, Pam and team have now launched a portal that I think will do the same for sailing! It is already chock full of expertise and resources from the worlds sailing gurus, but any user can also help keep it current and growing by suggesting one’s own favorite resources. I was impressed by the thought that has gone into gathering, organizing and curating information on so much valuable sailing information useful to the novice and the old salt alike. And an impressive group of sailors have already weighed-in on the portal’s utility: Ron Holland, Randy Repass, Behan Gifford, Beth Leonard, John Kretschmer, and Andy Schell, etc, etc.

What do you all think?

Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 04:08   #2

Re: Pam Wall's Sailipedia.com. Fantastic!

Wikipedia is free to read. This one is $96/year. Not expensive but not free either. I'll pass.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 04:10   #3

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Fixed the link for you:

https://sailipedia.com/page-Intro.html
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 04:53   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

Sad to see it is expensive. I've been a huge fan of Pam Wall since before we got into cruising, or were boat owners, and were still going to boat shows and attending her seminars trying to learn all we could. In Chicago I have attended every free seminar she has ever done at the simply sail show for many years straight before we finally cut the lines and left for good.

Her advice and guidance has shaped our own plans and purchasing decisions, and has served us well over the years. We are extremely low-budget migrating cruisers who retired early at age 50, needing to cut many financial corners to swing that feat. I don't know if we can fit her subscription service into our budget right now -especially with COVID and all the extra expenses which that entails. But I wish her well and hope they can succeed with this new business model. Not every cruiser is poor like us, or in a don't buy it unless we can't live without it economic situation.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 09:40   #5

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

On Cruisersforum, we can get in touch with numerous intelligent and experienced sailors, with the expectation that we also contribute when and where we can. Tit for tat. What a great portal! Why do I need anything else?
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:08   #6

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

A few weeks (months) ago there was a thread on writing for a vague unnamed publication for not very much money. I wonder if this was the publication.

The price seems rather steep. Affordable Adventure Cruising is only about $25 a year, MarineHowTo.com is free as is Steve D'Antonio's website. Andy on BoatworksToday has great videos free for the cost of watching a few commercials.

Not to mention forums like CF or SBO.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 13:15   #7

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMark View Post
On Cruisersforum, we can get in touch with numerous intelligent and experienced sailors, with the expectation that we also contribute when and where we can. Tit for tat. What a great portal! Why do I need anything else?

Right. But I can't blame anyone for trying to make some kind of profit on selling information that is free elsewhere.
Old 29-07-2020, 13:16   #8

I agree that $96 is too much money for a data repository. It shouldn't cost more than a book.

There are plenty of resources for sailors.

I wonder how they arrived at the price. With less cost of enrollment, she'd have more enrolled. Since the platform is a fixed cost, starting with that high of a price seems like it would be self defeating. Low price and high enrollment would drive the project forward. If it has value, word of mouth would take care of the rest.

If you shoot for the 1%, you'll probably only get one tenth of that.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 13:52   #9
s/v Jeune Amelie

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nelson/Marek 50

It's also $10/month, with a 7 day free trial. Kind of like a Netflix subscription
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 14:08   #10

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Honestly, if not an urgent problem, half the fun for me is looking for the answer, whether via CF, in the numerous books i have, free sites, boat galley, you tube videos, cornering mechanics at winter storage boatyard, or from sailors at our town marina. Helps me to learn and remember. Im Dutch so $96 is a non-starter, but wish her much success.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 08:25   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

I signed up for the 7-day free trial, and have to admit to being a bit underwhelmed. Right now it's mostly a whole bunch of links to other free content on the web, stuff that can be found with easy Google searches. With all due respect to Pam (who is a wonderful person to whom my wife and I owe a lot), this needs to be much more than it is now to justify the cost. I realize that this is new, but it needs to offer something unique to make it worth paying for.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 08:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
A few weeks (months) ago there was a thread on writing for a vague unnamed publication for not very much money. I wonder if this was the publication.

The price seems rather steep. Affordable Adventure Cruising is only about $25 a year, MarineHowTo.com is free as is Steve D'Antonio's website. Andy on BoatworksToday has great videos free for the cost of watching a few commercials.

Not to mention forums like CF or SBO.
Would add Maine Sail's MarineHowTo site. One of the most relevant to an everage boat owner and easiest to navigate.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail