Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2020, 20:35   #1
UFO
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Perth
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 524
Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Just tried to use the winch handle to manually use the winch (Electric works fine) but it is locked and will not turn.


My understanding was that putting the Winch handle in should free the motor/gear from the winch and allow me to use it manually?


What should I be looking for as the problem?
__________________

__________________
https://www.thecruisingcat.com
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 22:18   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Posts: 149
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

The winch handle will not engage if the winch is loaded under electric power. If the winch already has a load on it you have to use stopper etc to unload it then engage the winch handle. You probably already realize this and I might have misunderstood your question. But it fooled me when I first used electric winches.
__________________

Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 00:56   #3
UFO
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Perth
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 524
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

No Load at all. Also tried turning power off to Winch - Still not having it
__________________
https://www.thecruisingcat.com
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 03:43   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Posts: 149
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

There are lots of YouTube videos on these winches and their maintenance. It sounds like time to explore the insides of the winch. Not a bad job, just intimidating the first time. Maybe something small is stuck in the gears? The newer ones have plastic skirts around the base that caused me grief once.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 08:49   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran
Posts: 49
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

On my 44 you have to get the winch handle ALL the way down into it in order to disconnect the electric motor. You might try different winch handles as I have one that is too short to work.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 09:31   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 21
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Is there a rod, right in the middle of the receptacle where the winch handle engages? There should be, and you should have to push the rod down, when you insert the handle. The rod disengages the electric motor.

It can be stuck, making it difficult to insert the handle, or if under load from electric use, it will prevent you from inserting the handle. You should be able to push it down with a strong finger, is it is working smoothly. But getting the handle engaged is not what you described.

The rod just slides out, maybe is was lost or never inserted. Is this a new boat? I got a new boat and I have struggled a bit with the handle issue. But not as you describe. I have removed the rod and considered a racing rod, that disables the electric motor, that cannot be your problem.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.
MarkI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 17:44   #7
UFO
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Perth
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 524
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post
Is there a rod, right in the middle of the receptacle where the winch handle engages? There should be, and you should have to push the rod down, when you insert the handle. The rod disengages the electric motor.

It can be stuck, making it difficult to insert the handle, or if under load from electric use, it will prevent you from inserting the handle. You should be able to push it down with a strong finger, is it is working smoothly. But getting the handle engaged is not what you described.

The rod just slides out, maybe is was lost or never inserted. Is this a new boat? I got a new boat and I have struggled a bit with the handle issue. But not as you describe. I have removed the rod and considered a racing rod, that disables the electric motor, that cannot be your problem.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

Boat is relatively new to me (6months)



No rod that I can see - Just the normal screw that all the winches have
__________________
https://www.thecruisingcat.com
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 18:12   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast, Canada
Boat: 15 metre Catamaran
Posts: 798
Images: 2
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

I have that exact winch; I have two of the radial, and one Rewind. They all look the same, this one was the easiest to photograph tonight. This is what you should see, to disengage the motor, and use the handle. The handle depresses the centre pin, and disengages the motor.

You must use a locking handle, or at least one with the drive as long as a locking handle. A semi depressed pin won't disengage the motor.

Cheers.
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	override rod.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	220016  
__________________
If you can dream it; with grit, you can do it.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 19:58   #9
Registered User
 
Madehn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah Tx
Boat: Gulfstar 51
Posts: 211
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

"On my 44 you have to get the winch handle ALL the way down into it in order to disconnect the electric motor. You might try different winch handles as I have one that is too short to work. "

+1
on mine it is locked solid if you don't get the handle all the way in- I have one friend who puts a dime in the socket so that he can use any winch handle-- another went to a welding shop and added a small bit to the bottom of his winch handle and no issues after that

i
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 23:28   #10
UFO
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Perth
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 524
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I have that exact winch; I have two of the radial, and one Rewind. They all look the same, this one was the easiest to photograph tonight. This is what you should see, to disengage the motor, and use the handle. The handle depresses the centre pin, and disengages the motor.

You must use a locking handle, or at least one with the drive as long as a locking handle. A semi depressed pin won't disengage the motor.

Cheers.
Paul.

Thanks for the Photo - That answers my question - There is No Rod sticking up.



How is the winch screwed down? Does the rod go through the middle of a screw?
__________________
https://www.thecruisingcat.com
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 00:19   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Currently in New England
Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m
Posts: 80
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

The rod goes through the middle of the screw. If there is no hole in the middle of the screw then you either do not have an electric winch or someone serviced it poorly and reassembled it with the wrong screw...

Incidentally, it does not just drop through. The rod has a profile to stop the rod dropping out in the event you should place the keel above the mast.

PS if you do take it apart to service - which you will need to do partially, to insert the rod - then take a photo with your phone every time you remove a piece or risk having extra bits left over at the end :-)
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 02:37   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Currently in New England
Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m
Posts: 80
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Here are some pictures of the winch being stripped down. If there is no rod coming through the main screw then likely the racing adaptor has been fitted - if the winch works on electric, probably the screw has been backed out enough to release the cut out and so a winch handle will not go in properly. You could try screwing it back in to test but it is worth servicing the winch in any case.

Hope these are useful - cannot find the full set...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D2DFEEF-7354-44E4-AA2D-4008F3274D5C.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	220027   Click image for larger version

Name:	838BA68E-4247-4FF6-AD7A-FE329C206862.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	220028  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE3FAFDB-31C4-4206-82C6-E614490DECCC.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	220029   Click image for larger version

Name:	A70D636B-6B86-403A-B8EB-8175C2F01785.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	220030  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A02CBC74-E416-4679-B3B6-76CC729E2B5A.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	220031   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB35456-30DD-42CD-BC94-97FD3BD5C9C6.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	220032  

Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 03:04   #13
UFO
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Perth
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 524
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
Here are some pictures of the winch being stripped down. If there is no rod coming through the main screw then likely the racing adaptor has been fitted - if the winch works on electric, probably the screw has been backed out enough to release the cut out and so a winch handle will not go in properly. You could try screwing it back in to test but it is worth servicing the winch in any case.

Hope these are useful - cannot find the full set...

Thanks for that - The screw is already fully down and the electric works fine. I'll get some parts and figure it out.


Its not a Major issue as i have a Manual Harken 53 almost right next to it
__________________

__________________
https://www.thecruisingcat.com
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, Harken, winch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circuit breaker for Harken electric winch sv_saillavie Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 15-02-2015 15:19
For Sale: Harken 50 electric winch New CHARTER MAGIC Classifieds Archive 0 05-08-2013 16:36
Converting a Harken Pre-2009 H40.2 STC Winch to Electric Oceanis 40 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 2 01-06-2013 16:57
Harken electric winch - leaking oil, loss of power neilacarter Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 26-01-2013 16:50
Harken 56 Two-Speed Winch - Conversion to Electric mikefp60 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 1 05-03-2010 16:00

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.