Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2020, 12:50   #16

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: Allied Princess 36 Cutlass Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Our water pump">raw water pump is mounted on the harmonic balancer, and there is only about 3/8" clearance between the output and the metal pipe that leads directly into the heat exchanger. My thinking is if I tee into the suction side, water would be flowing the wrong direction through the stern tube.
Could you please tell me what engine you have installed in your Princess. I am curious as to the raw water pump mounting. Thanks!
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 13:07   #17

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Could you please tell me what engine you have installed in your Princess. I am curious as to the raw water pump mounting. Thanks!
VW Pathfinder 42, it's a 1.6D Rabbit Pickup engine marinized by Pathfinder (now defunct)
You will hear everyone talk bad about having a non-traditional engine make. Professional remanufactured engine plus shipping was $3,600, included a new head. Plus I can go to just about any parts store, tell them I have an 82 VW pickup with 1.6D and get anything for it (cheap)
The raw water pump is a Jabsco similar to this one on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/293613304862
Mounts on harmonic balancer and requires a stabilizer bar from the engine to prevent it from spinning.
Michael
SV Adeline
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 14:43   #18

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
VW Pathfinder 42, it's a 1.6D Rabbit Pickup engine marinized by Pathfinder (now defunct)
You will hear everyone talk bad about having a non-traditional engine make. Professional remanufactured engine plus shipping was $3,600, included a new head. Plus I can go to just about any parts store, tell them I have an 82 VW pickup with 1.6D and get anything for it (cheap)
The raw water pump is a Jabsco similar to this one on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/293613304862
Mounts on harmonic balancer and requires a stabilizer bar from the engine to prevent it from spinning.
Michael
SV Adeline
Thanks! The reason I asked was because I was looking at this engine https://www.drinkwaard.com/en/marine...tsubishi-s4l2/ to go into a Princess and I thought can that be possible? It too has the crankshaft pump.
I happen to like the VW pathfinder, just stay on top of your timing belt, it's an interference engine if I remember correctly.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 16:29   #19

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Thanks! The reason I asked was because I was looking at this engine https://www.drinkwaard.com/en/marine...tsubishi-s4l2/ to go into a Princess and I thought can that be possible? It too has the crankshaft pump.
I happen to like the VW pathfinder, just stay on top of your timing belt, it's an interference engine if I remember correctly.
Nice looking engine! Yes the VW is interference, I believe it's something like a 500 hr recommended service life. Fortunately it's a simple job and the engine cost included the timing tools. Here is a pic of the front of the VW, sorry for the mess, I have literally installed and removed the engine over 12 times in the last two weeks. 6 times in one day. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_191616.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	218941
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied