Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 12:24   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Belize sailing and diving recommendations

Hi all:
I’m chartering a cat out of placencia next month and plan to sail up as far ambergris. If anyone has any advice on anchorages or dive sites, I’d sure appreciate it.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:29   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Belize sailing and diving recommendations

There are several threads on the subject here. One below:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16541
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:33   #3

When I run charters out of Placencia I usually dont go further N than Tobacco Caye. This reduces your time working N against prevailing winds and currents and there are a huge number of route/destination/anchorage/dive-snorkel site options between Tobacco Caye and the Sapodillas Cayes to the S.
Old 03-07-2019, 13:27   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

You have all kinds of routes you could follow up and down the country, but I would try and stay near the reef. It's way more tricky sometimes but worth it. The water is clear, lots of fish and the diving etc
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 14:16   #5

There are loads of options in Belize, maybe help us narrow it down a bit: what are you looking for? Any islands you are specifically interested in?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:36   #6

Boat: Taswell 43

Following.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48   #7

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I went on an organized group snorkeling and diving trip to Half moon Caye 7 years ago. It is a spectacular spot 50 miles off shore, run by the Belize Audubon society. The next island over has tank rentals and fill capabilities. Highly recommended.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:34   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Don't get to excited about diving in the atolls because I think the charter outfit wants you to have one of their captains onboard to go past the reef.
You will be looking for one of the openings in the reef, day anchor and take your dinghy out. There are a few spots where you can anchor overnight, just inside the reef and dive from your dinghy too. There is air several places along the reef.
If I only had a week. I would head due east to the reef when you get your boat. Take it from there. If you need city fix, Placencia where you get the boat, is the best one.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 15:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Don't get to excited about diving in the atolls because I think the charter outfit wants you to have one of their captains onboard to go past the reef.
You will be looking for one of the openings in the reef, day anchor and take your dinghy out. There are a few spots where you can anchor overnight, just inside the reef and dive from your dinghy too. There is air several places along the reef.
If I only had a week. I would head due east to the reef when you get your boat. Take it from there. If you need city fix, Placencia where you get the boat, is the best one.
Yes, charter boats may not go outside the reef without a Belize liscenced captain aboard. The atolls are awesome and that is one, of several, good reasons to consider having a local captain aboard.

There are however plenty of good snorkelling/diving options inside, or just outside, the main reef.

Rather that hauling tanks etc on charter boats we usually do "redenvous dives" for our charter guests. This means anchoring off an island along the reef which has a dive shop and arranging for our guests to go diving with them. This is by far the most convenient way to do it and it keeps local politics smooth too. Two good options for this approach are Tobacco Caye & Southwater Caye. Both also have great snorkeling and diving along the major natural passes at those points on the reef. Both islands literally sit on the reef next to a major pass.
Old 04-07-2019, 16:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
I went on an organized group snorkeling and diving trip to Half moon Caye 7 years ago. It is a spectacular spot 50 miles off shore, run by the Belize Audubon society. The next island over has tank rentals and fill capabilities. Highly recommended.
Half Moon Caye is a beautiful place, but a chartered boat will need a local captain aboard to go there. It is the most windward of the 3 atolls in Belizean waters so that can make it less than pleasant to get there.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07   #11

We chartered a moorings boat about a month ago. In my opinion Ambergris is going to be much too far for a week long charter if you want to slow down and enjoy the trip. The prevailing winds were pretty strong and made it basically a motoring trip up to Belize City. The sail down was enjoyable though.

For diving, you will want to check ahead since this is the slow season. Tobacco Caye has several places but all were closed when we were coming thru. We chose to dive from Thatch Caye (with Belize Underwater). They come out to the island, pick you up and its a short ride out to the reef.

It is correct about staying within the reef for their boats without a belizian captain. A couple other points that we did not learn early: They have a 20 mile radius that they will come out to help you if you have problems. This barely reaches Dangriga. Also, if you are on Sunsail, request an early departure. Their regular exit time is 4pm which is coincidentally when they want you to be anchored by. The early checkout is at noon (which turns into 2 by the time you are truly off the dock).

If you were interested, here is the route that we used. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...4909999998&z=9

Doing it again, I would not stop at King Leweys (Roberts Caye) for an overnight. Its much too small with little protection.

Last night, stay in the Placencia harbour, have a drink at Yolis (closes at dark) and tell Eric the bartender that Ryan and Tracy sent ya.
ryanandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, diving, men, sail, sailing