Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 09:45   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Leave the canvas on or not?

Before winter I did as I’ve always done and taken the dodger, connector, and bimini off the boat. At the marina the other day I noticed a lot of boats both still in a slip or on the hard with the canvas still on. It is easier not to remove and put back on the canvas. Any good reasons to leave it on, or to take it off?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:50   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Leave the canvas on or not?

Reduce weathering for longer life?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:56   #3

It will preserve it a lot better for sure to remove it. In some places green algae will grow around the seams, edges in winter too. It can be a lot of work removing canvas though, which is likely why people just leave it. Also, the dodger can prevent water ingress through the companionway in a heavy shower or snow melt etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:55   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Before winter I did as I’ve always done and taken the dodger, connector, and bimini off the boat. At the marina the other day I noticed a lot of boats both still in a slip or on the hard with the canvas still on. It is easier not to remove and put back on the canvas. Any good reasons to leave it on, or to take it off?

Snow load might be one. We have a hardtop that takes any snow weight easily enough, so all our canvas stays up...

-Chris
Old 20-02-2019, 12:04   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The green stuff that sometimes grows on it is somewhat acidic, and weakens the seams. It is a pita to remove, but you really lessen weather effects when you take it off and store it. it's good to clean the s/s, too, and inspect the fittings. Clean the dodger and bimini material, and polish the "windows", and it's all nice and clean and not grungy for the sailing season. I'd probably wrap it all in a soft old bed sheet, too. Our dodger has to put up with weather 24/7, but hardly any snow here.

Imho, your way is better, Doc, but it will also vary with storage conditions.

Ann
Old 21-02-2019, 11:55   #6

Boat: Pearson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I like to show the canvas some love. Evenings in my lap in front of the TV getting its dodgy stitching replaced. A spa day where you get the green out and all the other accumulated crud. A waterproofing treatment, eisenglass cleaning and those babies are lookin pretty bristol when they go back on the frames. Yeah, I know - I need to get out more.
Pearson Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 11:42   #7

Boat: Hunter 41

We are liveaboards in Annapolis and left our canvas on for years over the winter months to keep us and the cockpit dry and snow free. We had the canvas installed in 2005. We recently had all the canvas inspected and was told it's still in very good shape and in no need of replacement. We clean and waterproof our canvas regularly which maybe why it's done so well. I think the sun and UV is probably the bigger canvas killer and impacts those living in the southern states or tropical regions more than us.
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 11:59   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Iused to take my dodger and bimini off for the winter. In the end that's how the clear vinyl in the dodger got all scratched up and needed replacement.

On the other hand I left my mainsail on the last 4 years in the northeast. It didn't get moldy or anything.
Old 22-02-2019, 12:15   #9

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
In the end that's how the clear vinyl in the dodger got all scratched up and needed replacement.
The comment triggered a thought. I probably should have mentioned that we had covers made that snap over our vinyl (eisenglass). We did that for UV protection as well as protection from snow, ice and dirt scratching.
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:34   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Odyssey View Post
We are liveaboards in Annapolis and left our canvas on for years over the winter months to keep us and the cockpit dry and snow free. We had the canvas installed in 2005. We recently had all the canvas inspected and was told it's still in very good shape and in no need of replacement. We clean and waterproof our canvas regularly which maybe why it's done so well. I think the sun and UV is probably the bigger canvas killer and impacts those living in the southern states or tropical regions more than us.

This is the answer I wanted!

I'm going to leave it on next winter and see how it is.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 06:03   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

I had left my dodger on under my tarp here in Canada. The tarp leaked a bit leaving a pool of water which eventually froze. The result was a solid patch of ice which weighed down in the center. I took it off brought it home and thawed it out. The reason I removed it was that over the winter if ice weighed it down it will stretch the fabric resulting in a less than adequate dodger in the coming boating season.
Jenna1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas