Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 15:34   #61

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Baja Bash / Hunter 45 Center Cockpit

Captain Woody is on CF
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 10:02   #62

Boat: Hunter 356

I didn’t read the entire thread.
FWIW, after talking to many long distance sailors, having sailed a 1000 nm voyage, I purchased a hunter 356 for the exact same purpose.
I also consider my boat capable of Tahiti.
I consider my boat a better pick than the 45.
As I’ve learned from others, more boat means more work. But more boat also means more comfort. The sweet spot is 35’
Just an opinion based on lots of interviews.
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:15   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanton View Post
I didn’t read the entire thread.
FWIW, after talking to many long distance sailors, having sailed a 1000 nm voyage, I purchased a hunter 356 for the exact same purpose.
I also consider my boat capable of Tahiti.
I consider my boat a better pick than the 45.
As I’ve learned from others, more boat means more work. But more boat also means more comfort. The sweet spot is 35’
Just an opinion based on lots of interviews.
We found the sweet spot to be 64ft.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:18   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Augi, I know that this response is not what you are asking for in your original post, however I think what I have to say should be considered by yourself.

The trip, either way, from Oxnard to San Carlos, is a long haul especially the return trip up the Baja coast. It is not called the "bash" for nothing. Even the trip to or from San Carlos to Cabo is a rather long one. So to plan on doing it repeatedly, in any kind of cruising boat, is quite ambitious, and in my opinion, unrealistic. You are going to spend many days, even weeks, under power, often in uncomfortable conditions, putting wear and tear on all aspects of your vessel. Very few people do this more than once or twice.
Excellent feedback. Thanks!
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:36   #65

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi Audi... want to hear from a delivery skipper who has driven a number of different type of vessels north from Cabo, La Paz, PV and Mazatlan, both sail and power for Baja-ha skippers who didn’t want to beat them selves or boats up headed north? Never took a Hunter CC north, though. But have driven other similar boats north.
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 12:15   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi Audi... want to hear from a delivery skipper who has driven a number of different type of vessels north from Cabo, La Paz, PV and Mazatlan, both sail and power for Baja-ha skippers who didn’t want to beat them selves or boats up headed north? Never took a Hunter CC north, though. But have driven other similar boats north.
Phil
Hi Phil,

Thanks for following up.

Yes. It would be great to hear your comments.
Old 17-08-2019, 13:51   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwoody View Post
. . . The no backstay models were an especially bad design for offshore. . . .

Nonsense -- the Dashew Sundeers -- consummate round the world boats -- have almost exactly the same rig.

I'm not particularly a Hunter fan -- would be a bad tool for the kind of sailing I do -- but you can't criticize them for the rig design.

Remedial reading:

https://setsail.com/b-and-r-rigs/
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 14:02   #68

[QUOTE=Dockhead;2956089]Nonsense -- the Dashew Sundeers -- consummate round the world boats -- have almost exactly the same rig.

Welcome to CF Woody Notice how even the most esteemed members don't read very well, or want to start an argument.
Old 17-08-2019, 15:38   #69

[QUOTE=Ecos;2956098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Nonsense -- the Dashew Sundeers -- consummate round the world boats -- have almost exactly the same rig.

Welcome to CF Woody Notice how even the most esteemed members don't read very well, or want to start an argument.
I am a newbie with limited experience so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If there have been no or almost no related problems with that type of rig on Hunters or other models to date then proof is in the pudding.

I would think you would have to look at the overall design of each boat with similar rigging with no back stay.

That being said, to each his own. If it makes one uncomfortable not having a back stay then get a boat with a back stay.

A negative of the Hunter with that rig is the angle of the spreaders. Going down wind you cannot let the main out as far as you might like. The spreaders must be swept back on an angle to provide needed support to the mast since tehre is no back stay.

I have chartered a Pogo 30 with no back stay. I think the boat was designed that way so there could be a bigger square topped main. Pogo 's cruising boats have been described as racing boats with cushions.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:14   #70

So if some guy says he has sailed them, in the same conditions you want to do, over and over and that they will fall apart, why would you with no experience, disbelieve him? Hunter experts from the ICW or Bahamas probably love their boats but they don't know how rough it is out there.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:56   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
So if some guy says he has sailed them, in the same conditions you want to do, over and over and that they will fall apart, why would you with no experience, disbelieve him? Hunter experts from the ICW or Bahamas probably love their boats but they don't know how rough it is out there.
Did the boat fall apart or is the guy saying he "thinks" it will fall apart?

I am not taking sides on this. How many Hunters are out there with the design being discussed? If there have been problems related to this design when the rigs have been well maintained then that speaks for itself.

If an experienced sailor "thinks" a boat of a certain design will fall apart in the conditions I plan to use the same model boat but there have not been any reported problems I would take note(and try and understand the logic of the concern), check for the problem, but not be overly concerned unless I hear of or see the evidence.
Old 17-08-2019, 17:12   #72
CLOD

Boat: none

It wouldn't fall apart and I've never read of a story where one has. Hunter is in business to sell boats, if the B&R was really a problem and got in the way to sell boats they would get rid of it.

It's standard on the internet for the Hunter haters try to prove their expertise by using the B&R story. Meanwhile Hunter has been using this rig for 20 years and it is a proven design.

BTW the"experts" only seen to think the Hunters are a problem and not all the other boats like cats
Old 18-08-2019, 02:06   #73
cruiser

We didn’t have any problems with our Hunter 450 not having a backstay. It’s certainly easy enough to add one if anyone’s worried about it.
Old 18-08-2019, 03:13   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We didn’t have any problems with our Hunter 450 not having a backstay. It’s certainly easy enough to add one if anyone’s worried about it.
But I’d also qualify my answer by saying that I’d follow Capt. Woody’s advice of following the calms up the coast. I’d even do the same on an Oyster, there’s no reason to put unnecessary extra strain or stress on the crew or boat.
Old 19-08-2019, 07:05   #75

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Fun thread. Some good advice here. A must read is Baja Bash by Jim Elfers. I've done the bash a number of times in boats similar to yours and have found it spot on. Keys are time (weather windows are often far apart and the wind and seas almost never come from anywhere but in front) and a decent amount of fuel as you won't be sailing much. Fuel in Turtle Bay, but if desperate a number of stops have Pemex where you can jug fuel. No marinas between Cabo and Ensenada. The return tends to be cold as is the water. Lots of nice anchorages to wait out weather, but I keep going if the seas and wind are good. I do it bi annually, not annually. Although I've debated leaving it in Mexico to avoid the bash you are effectively giving up the use of the boat due to hurricane season during the best time to have the boat in Southern California.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, center cockpit, cockpit, hunter