Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Baja Bash / Hunter 45 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
He’s picked the Baja bash because it follows the Baja Ha Ha which is a local rally/cruise from where I assume he lives (LA) down to Cabo San Lucas.

Yes, that I understood but the point I was trying to make (clearly I didn't do well at that ) was that by making that the only criterion for evaluating the relative merits of the Hunter vs other boats he is missing out on a lot of potentially useful answers to his question.

I'm sure we all agree that there are plenty of trips that can compare with the demands of the bash back north from Baja. One I've made a couple of times is a winter trip from south FL to the Virgin Islands. Another, Panama to the Virgin Islands in winter that I would put up against the Baja Bash any day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:35   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Thanks for your comment.

As noted in my posts, the reason the Baja Bash was mentioned is that is the toughest bit of sailing I plan to do along with exploring the Channel islands.

I did not say in my post that the Baja Bash was the be all test of sailboat.

I find it interesting, and humorous that when newbie's post on this forum the more experienced sailors frequently claim that they don't have enough info to answer and the implication is the newbie OP is an idiot.

Or when I post a question that is a very specific, I then get response with a negative connotation implying my question is stupid.

In the end these type of forums are a type of Rorschach test. Very entertaining indeed.

No you did not say the Baja was the be all test but you strongly stated that could be the only criterion for replying.

This is not a criticism of a newbie or intended as an insult but the point I tried to make (poorly it seems) is that you stand a much better chance of getting very useful and helpful information if you ask for comments from any that have taken a Hunter 45 in a long, upwind sail in strong wind and wave conditions which I think from your question is the actual information you are after.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:41   #33

Boat: 2011 Leopard 384

I may be qualified to reply (if I have understood all the caveats)....as noted above, you decide:
.....how about a crew of two Bashing (in April....don't go in April!)? An idyllic two days from La Paz to Cabo (thanks Captain Bill) then only got as far as Ensenada in three weeks when we ran out of time....38' Hans Christian (previously owned by Steve Jobs and aptly named Apple II)....In addition to Chartplotter & paper maps, Radar was very helpful....slow process (veerrryy sloooww). Lots of fellow travelers easily raised on VHF.
Next time I'd stay offshore a bit more....we tried to "dodge" southward currents often unsuccessfully.
We did layover in Turtle Bay 1 night and Mag Bay 2 nights for a rest (and weather clearing)...I don't remember refueling on this trip like going south on the 2009 Ha Ha in a Catalina 27 - (Thanks Steve & Charlotte on Willful Simplicity!).
On the way north in 2011 we buried the bowsprit a bit more often than the owner/skipper & I liked, ergo adjusted speed....slooowwweerrrr still!!!
I'm planning on doing the same trip in my 2010 Leopard 38 (Sunsail 384) in the Spring....with more challenges no doubt....only 9T, but two engines (two-blade props).
Like a few of the previous posters I'd say "DO IT!"
There are fuel stops...
Google, Baja Ha Ha (Latitude 38) and Cap't Rains are all good sources for where to stop/buy and where/what to avoid. Take a Baja filter just in case and carrying a few extra jerry cans of fuel & water are always a good idea IMHO.
Enjoy!!! (I'd do it again..even at the ripe ol' age of 72....actually will be 73 when going north in February/March 2020) - maybe see you then?
Using my father's last words to me:
HAVE FUN!!
S D Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:42   #34

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

The probable answer to your question is which keel do you have? They made a full length version and a short version. The full length with at least the main up even in zero wind will be a ride typical of that trip. The short version will be awful. Extremely rolly. If you have the time, harbor hop all the way up.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
No you did not say the Baja was the be all test but you strongly stated that could be the only criterion for replying.

This is not a criticism of a newbie or intended as an insult but the point I tried to make (poorly it seems) is that you stand a much better chance of getting very useful and helpful information if you ask for comments from any that have taken a Hunter 45 in a long, upwind sail in strong wind and wave conditions which I think from your question is the actual information you are after.
However, as already mentioned I was trying to be specific as possible(not have a rehash of the production boat vs. "true blue water" boat discussion that is available in other threads here as well as elsewhere or the rehash of "you are going to die if you are in difficult offshore type conditions in a Hunter".

As it tuns out I have gotten a lot of good feed back and info.

Thanks everyone!

I have to chuckle because many who post seemed to be trained as lawyers. There is inordinate amount discussion about form.

If some one just wants to argue I suggest therapy(see video link)

Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
However, as already mentioned I was trying to be specific as possible(not have a rehash of the production boat vs. "true blue water" boat discussion that is available in other threads here as well as elsewhere or the rehash of "you are going to die if you are in difficult offshore type conditions in a Hunter".

As it tuns out I have gotten a lot of good feed back and info.

Thanks everyone!

I have to chuckle because many who post seemed to be trained as lawyers. There is inordinate amount discussion about form. . .

So you were asking about "production boats in difficult conditions" but trying not to rehash the "production boats in difficult conditions" threads

Well, whatever. I don't think any serious sailor would say "you are going to die if you are in difficult offshore type conditions in a Hunter", and you didn't get a single such response on here.

So if you're looking for validation for the idea that you might do this passage once a year in such a boat -- I think you have unanimous support that it is feasible and no one will die or even want to die.

A passage like that will make you want better SKILLS sailing upwind, and will make you want better sails and rigging. Probably make you want a larger and stronger boat, too. But that's a kind of growth, isn't it. Exactly that happened to me, actually, after my first trip back from the NE Baltic, in 2014.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48   #37
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
gee stir the pot some more

odds are you're not going to find someone that meets your reply rules
Yeah, I kind of chuckled at the "rules." I have a Hunter, but it takes time to write out responses that are helpful, and if they are not going to be respected or appreciated because the OP had some rules for the response, then why bother?! And what is a "true blue water boat"? My Hunter has been in "blue water."
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
. I don't think any serious sailor would say "you are going to die if you are in difficult offshore type conditions in a Hunter", and you didn't get a single such response on here.
but but but, I've died 11.236 times this year alone
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54   #39

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

There are 6 Hunters and 10 Catalinas entered already. No Oysters and one Halberg Rassey.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:50   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
There are 6 Hunters and 10 Catalinas entered already. No Oysters and one Halberg Rassey.
Entered in what?

Jim
Old 11-08-2019, 21:12   #41

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I get paid for doing the Baja Bash. My criteria for accepting a boat are

1. Reliable Autopilot
2. Dodger
3. Reliable engine (runs at 80% of rated RPM for 1/2 hour with no overheating or steam in the exhaust.
4. Sufficient fuel for 400 miles of motoring (I supplement tanks with jerry jugs)
5. Reliable electrical system (boat can sail for more than 12 hours with voltage over 12v, regains 13.5v in less than 2 hours of motoring.
6. at least 50 gallons of drinkable water.
7. rigging has no broken strands.
8. Rudder/steering feels solid.
9. No major leaks.
10 relatively clean bottom

I do get picky on make if the boat is less than 40 ft, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a Hunter IF IT PASSES MY FIRST 10 CRITERIA.

Note that the risk is inversely proportional to your experience. I couldn't find the reference, but I recall one couple lost their lives just south of Ensenada.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 22:03   #42

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

1. Reliable Autopilot
What are your criteria for autopilot reliability?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:39   #43

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
What are your criteria for autopilot reliability?
1. Below deck installation.
2. Prefer hydraulic drive
3. Can run independently of other instrumentation.

I'm not a big fan of integrated instrumentation systems. On my next to last delivery ( Baja Bash) the Raymarine MFD packed it in, and we lost radar, AIS, GPS, and wind/boatspeed, but the separate autopilot control never lost heading.

On the last one (Transpac return), the B&G network went down for 2 days until we could diagnose an intermittent problem in the Barometer sensor. We had no GPS, heading, speed and wind data. However, I had installed an Simrad autopilot with only its own heading sensor on a separate network, and that worked flawlessly
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I get paid for doing the Baja Bash. My criteria for accepting a boat are

1. Reliable Autopilot
2. Dodger
3. Reliable engine (runs at 80% of rated RPM for 1/2 hour with no overheating or steam in the exhaust.
4. Sufficient fuel for 400 miles of motoring (I supplement tanks with jerry jugs)
5. Reliable electrical system (boat can sail for more than 12 hours with voltage over 12v, regains 13.5v in less than 2 hours of motoring.
6. at least 50 gallons of drinkable water.
7. rigging has no broken strands.
8. Rudder/steering feels solid.
9. No major leaks.
10 relatively clean bottom

I do get picky on make if the boat is less than 40 ft, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a Hunter IF IT PASSES MY FIRST 10 CRITERIA.

Note that the risk is inversely proportional to your experience. I couldn't find the reference, but I recall one couple lost their lives just south of Ensenada.
Very helpful! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2019, 18:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
The probable answer to your question is which keel do you have? They made a full length version and a short version. The full length with at least the main up even in zero wind will be a ride typical of that trip. The short version will be awful. Extremely rolly. If you have the time, harbor hop all the way up.
Deep draft keel. Not the shoal draft. Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
baja, center cockpit, cockpit, hunter