Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2021, 06:17   #1

Boat: Alberg 37
Texas--Clear Lake Shores Area Depth Question

Hi everyone,

We're fairly new to sailing and have a 5 ft. 6 in. draft. We are at the Waterford Harbor Marina and are hoping to motor over to Clear Lake Marine Center for some DIY bottom work.

My question is if anyone on here knows what the depths are in the channel section of Clear Lake. We need to head to starboard immediately after channel marker 17, so are looking to figure out the channel depth from our "entrance" of this channel (N 14 on the chart--it's after Kemah boardwalk channel) to marker N 17. Here's the Clear Lake Chart https://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/11326.pdf

We've asked our pier neighbors and no one seems to know. Hoping someone can help on here. Chart image attached as well. We know to go at high tide for some of the other depths. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clearlakechart.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	235198  
kaa2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 06:28   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Texas--Clear Lake Shores Area Depth Question

I haven't made that trip (I am in Watergate), but I know from the charts and what I have heard that it won't work for my 6.5 foot draft. Have you called Clear Lake Marine? Your draft will be tight and going at high tide would make it easier.
Old 25-03-2021, 06:48   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ve done that trip from watergate. The channel won’t be a problem for your draft (just stay in it). But the last bit into clear lake marine center will be close.

Just pay attention to the water level and don’t try it after a cold front!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 07:16   #4

Thanks @GreenWave and @Sailmonkey!

@Greenwave--we called them but didn't quite get a clear answer, so I figured I'd ask on here.

@Sailmonkey--We are planning on watching the tides even more than normal. Your boat has a 4.5 draft, correct? I know we sit in the sludge at the dock a bit after the cold fronts, so I hear you!
Old 25-03-2021, 07:58   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

Man, Yesterday the water was as high as we've ever seen it in Kemah.

FWIW, I've never done this exact trip but we had our survey haulout done at South Texas Yacht and had no issues in the channel and we have a 6ft. draft.

it looks like sailmonkey has you covered.
Old 25-03-2021, 08:19   #6

Texas--Clear Lake Shores Area Depth Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa2021 View Post
Thanks @GreenWave and @Sailmonkey!

@Greenwave--we called them but didn't quite get a clear answer, so I figured I'd ask on here.

@Sailmonkey--We are planning on watching the tides even more than normal. Your boat has a 4.5 draft, correct? I know we sit in the sludge at the dock a bit after the cold fronts, so I hear you!

We’re 4.5’ and never saw less than 8-10” under the keel...but the sludge on the bottom there never really gives a solid accurate depth sounding.

Also never paid any heed to tides. But know that our time of day wasn’t high.
Old 25-03-2021, 09:25   #7

Thanks Tradrockrat! We had our survey and haul out at South Texas too--they're pretty good. Coming out of Waterford Harbor Marina, we need to head hard to port and into Clear Lake, instead of starboard for South Texas Yacht or ahead for the boardwalk channel and the bay. It's that Clear Lake depth that's giving me the willies with my draft. :-)
Old 25-03-2021, 09:56   #8

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’ve done that trip from watergate. The channel won’t be a problem for your draft (just stay in it). But the last bit into clear lake marine center will be close.

Exactly so. Or if there has been a North wind for two or more days. I got stuck at the dock for 3 days two years ago but I draw 6'. Go on a full moon high tide if you can.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 09:57   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

Exactly.
If the wind is blowing from the North over a period of time it will push the water out of the bay resulting in very low waters.

Full / New moon will also help with some higher tides (spring tides)..
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 10:42   #10

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

The J-105 sailboat class held their MidWinter Regatta at Lakewood Yacht Club on Galveston Bay recently. All of the boats launched and moored at Lakewood YC on Clear Lake for entire regatta.

A J-105 draws 6.5'.

If the J-105 class can get to and from Lakewood YC to Galveston Bay without picking up any mud on their keel, I suspect you can easily make your trip with no issues with an accurate depth gauge at high tide.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 11:02   #11

Thanks for the info about the race. If you're headed out of the Lakewood Yacht Club entry, we're trying to head to starboard and into Clear Lake, not out toward the bay. I know my draft can handle the channel from Lakewood channel area to the bay...it's the other way I'm worried about :-)
Old 25-03-2021, 11:36   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440

There is an NOAA Tidal Gauge in Clear Lake ID#8770933. It is reported on the website. The datum is MLLW which is same as the NOAA charts.
If it isn't reporting, you can use get a good idea of where the water level is from the tidal gauge at Eagle Point and Morgan's Point (ID # 8771013 and 8770613 respectively). They are usually reporting actual elevations verses predicted.
Be careful the water level can be down if there is a strong North wind and you can't get through.
mksylvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 11:37   #13

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

I am also at Waterford. I have found that going in the Lakewood Yacht Club channel then heading toward the restaurants staying a 150 ft or more from shore you have plenty of water to get to Clear Lake marine following the shore.

I have had poor success with going up the Clear Lake channel and cutting across to Clear Lake Marine.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 12:20   #14

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa2021 View Post
Hi everyone,

We're fairly new to sailing and have a 5 ft. 6 in. draft. We are at the Waterford Harbor Marina and are hoping to motor over to Clear Lake Marine Center for some DIY bottom work.

My question is if anyone on here knows what the depths are in the channel section of Clear Lake. We need to head to starboard immediately after channel marker 17, so are looking to figure out the channel depth from our "entrance" of this channel (N 14 on the chart--it's after Kemah boardwalk channel) to marker N 17. Here's the Clear Lake Chart https://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/11326.pdf

We've asked our pier neighbors and no one seems to know. Hoping someone can help on here. Chart image attached as well. We know to go at high tide for some of the other depths. Thank you!
You should have no problems going from Waterford to the Clear LK Marine center but “stay in the channel”! Clear Lake in the winter and early spring has much reduced water depths, but the center of the channel is pretty good. If you want to be a bit more comfortable with your move, wait another month and time your move with the online tide table for Clear Lake and pick high tide for the move.

You should also be able to get the channel depth from the people in the marine center office.

Good luck with the move.

BTW, I’m at Bal Harbor and a few months ago I had 4” of air gap between the bottom of my hull and the water level. I have a Catalina 25 with a wing keel that draws 3.5 ft. Great time to clean the hull if the lake bottom was anything more solid than jello chocolate pudding.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 15:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post

BTW, I’m at Bal Harbor and a few months ago I had 4” of air gap between the bottom of my hull and the water level. I have a Catalina 25 with a wing keel that draws 3.5 ft. Great time to clean the hull if the lake bottom was anything more solid than jello chocolate pudding.

It’s the chocolate pudding that makes a 5’6” draft glide through 5’3” of water!!

We never had bottom paint or barnacles on the bottom of our keel while exploring Galveston bay/clear lake.

Tags
clear lake, depth, texas