Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 14:32   #31

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38
Re: Texas or Florida better living abroad?

Check out Waterford Harbor in League City, Tx. Probably the safest marina on the Gulf Coast. Nice amenities many live aboards Hell of a lot cheaper than Florida. Located in small town just South of the 4th largest city with two airports.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:16   #32

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
Check out Waterford Harbor in League City, Tx. Probably the safest marina on the Gulf Coast. Nice amenities many live aboards Hell of a lot cheaper than Florida. Located in small town just South of the 4th largest city with two airports.
It is nice. Had my cat there for about 7 years. For the OP, League City, Kemah and Seabrook are all next to each other - essentially the same place. Marinas are off of Clear Lake and Clear Creek, which exits into Galveston Bay.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:17   #33

I live in st pete and have spent the last 5 years working in Houston (management consultant - M-Th in Houston in a corporate apt). I strongly prefer Florida (and certainly boating is better) , but will note that since your wife is Filipino, Houston has a very diverse community that may make her more comfortable. It's the 4th largest city in the US and large enough to have entire neighborhoods for many ethnic favorites

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Peter
Old 27-09-2020, 16:17   #34

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack2465 View Post
Been to Texas quite a bit never saw people shopping with assault rifles. Crime is worse in FL but I suppose if people there start shopping with assault rifles stepped on it would go down. If you don't like guns don't get one duh
What Mack said.
Old 27-09-2020, 18:30   #35

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Appreciate the info on Texas, sounds like lots of good options.

But I'm still where I started.

I know and like Florida - already have boat in FL.

Texas better for homeschooling while abroad.

Tie on taxes.

Any other opinions/things I should think of, while living overseas and keeping FL or TX residency? Right now it's still a tie on which state is better for residency, in my mind, while living overseas.
Old 27-09-2020, 18:56   #36

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
Excellent place; I enjoyed my time there.
Old 27-09-2020, 20:27   #37

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

My brother is a resident of texas and lives out of state, but not abroad. Ironically he currently lives in Florida. He has no problem renewing his driver's license, paying taxes, etc out of state. The only time he has to return is when his car needs its emissions inspection.

I hope this helps!

Thx-Ace
Old 27-09-2020, 20:31   #38

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

There are a few circumnavigators who are home schooling their kids.

S/V Zatara is one of them. I think they have a facebook page but if not, they're on YouTube. They're out of Texas so you could ask them directly what the deal is.
Old 27-09-2020, 20:48   #39

Boat: Beneteau 343

Here is a possible tie-breaker; no car inspection in FL so easy to renew online.
Old 27-09-2020, 20:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I lived in TX for 24 years and FL now for 5+. The sailing is far better IMHO in FL. But I do miss a lot that TX offers; much much better work ethic, generally better run local governments, better business climate depending on where you are, easier to get honest work done. These are huge sweeping generalizations. I miss TX but I am not going back except to visit and do some work. If I was working full time I might prefer TX.

In terms of locations, live aboard in Kemah Clear Lake area has its pluses; close to huge city, airports, and lots of business. Sailing water sucks though you get used to it. Corpus is ok but not sure sailing is much better there.

FL gulf coast is far different than Fort Drunkerdale and Miami. I’d pick Tampa - Fort Myers area if I wanted to optimize.
'better work ethic ' comment hit nail on head'--many try to get Midwesterners or other non locals when they want something done right and on time.
Old 27-09-2020, 22:26   #41

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
Here is a possible tie-breaker; no car inspection in FL so easy to renew online.
Sounds like pianopraze won't be owning a car..........
Old 27-09-2020, 22:37   #42

Boat: 40' Ed Horstman Tristar Catamaran

Wow wow wow. People who choose not to read the initial question or others who choose to disregard it and push whatever they are hung up on. It mystifies me.

I am with you Pianopraz, I’m taking my family away in January, getting rid of all land based possessions. That means no cars, no insurance, no house, no storage locker. We’ll be homeschooling and trying to maintain some connection to the US in the form of a PO Box. The only reason for that is to maintain my passport and banks require it. My wife leans towards FL, not sure why except that it’s the last place we will throw lines from. I like Texas better due to the more lax homeschooling rules.

Pianopraz, you probably have more knowledge then you can get from this forum. But two things, SD is a favorite of RV lifers and may warrant a look. Ultimately does it really matter? They are very close in all respects that matter to you. The chances you’ll be called back to Fl for a test is slim and probably easily explained if that time comes. I think homeschooling will increase in popularity quickly, and become much easier to navigate, unless of course the country descends to the lowest possible common denominator.
Old 28-09-2020, 05:59   #43

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

You all are right, we are sending all our most precious possessions to the Philippines, and will sell our car and motorcycle. But that was a very good thought. Very much appreciate it. Didn't know TX required car inspection. Hate those!

But that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you. So many unknowns!

If homeschooling becomes a lot more popular that means loss of power for schools. Which will probably result in increased regulation/control. Those in power tend to hate to loose it and when threatened try to increase control, from my experience.

I was shocked when sailing Zatara talked about homeschooling. That is what really has been weighing on my mind for months now and reason I started this thread, to get more info from those who are doing it. Tx is so much easier than Florida.

We are doing 8, sometimes more hours with this Abeka curriculum. It is much more extensive than my sons education was here in KY schools. In some ways that is good, some ways that is overwhelming.

I'm in Kentucky selling our house, already have our boat in Florida so I chose a homeschool system out of Florida that meets all FL and KY requirements this year for easy transition. Wife will work a year or two in FL before we set sail for Caribbean for a few years (Covid restrictions permitting) then going to Pacific and eventually ending in Philippines... or further???? Plans are not hard and fast.

We are retiring to Philippines though. And I will need USA address for rest of my life.
Old 28-09-2020, 06:38   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

I am sure a Google search would be a lot more productive on the school question that here on CF where that would be a very small group of cruisers/liveaboards.

Far as Florida or texas being better I would say it is meaningless in the big picture as compared to the specific pros/cons of a location within each. Long term good liveaboard locations are all about access to needed land things.
Old 28-09-2020, 06:45   #45
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

[QUOTE=Davy J;3241535]Wow, just wow.........
Don't think I've ever seen a thread devolve so quickly..........
The anti gunners are out in force............ even when it hasn't even been brought up in the thread.

Yes, sad isn't it? Unfortunately, criminals do not follow gun laws. It's in their manual. Back on topic - Have never lived in Texas but seems they do a lot of things right to maintain a civil society. I do live in Florida, by choice for the last 30 years and love it. Several families in our church have home schooled their children. So, I vote for Florida. My trailer trawler is stationed an hour from each coast. If you are retired military, take a look at Manatee Cove Marina on Patrick AFB just south of Cocoa Beach. When flying to PI from here I go the other way on Emirates Airline (Orlando). Same distance to Manila. One stop in Dubai their home port.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, texas