Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 00:58   #1

Boat: Endurance 12m
Indonesian paper charts

Hi all.
I'm heading to Indonesia from Darwin in a few months and altho I have Open CPN and electronic charts for a chartplotter I would like to get hold of any available paper charts for the entire archipelago...
I am happy to trade for charts of West Australia with any other info if required (anchorages waypoints etc)..
I'm happy to pay for any charts but I like the idea of handing charts(swapping) over to like minded sea faring travelers..Just keeping it in the family so to speak

Also if anyone might like to pass on any waypoint/anchorage info of their favourite spots (including surf breaks...As if!!!!!! ) anywhere in Indo, I would be sooooo stoked..

Happy sailing crew
Sailing Scooter
Old 15-03-2016, 21:27   #2

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36
Re: Indonesian paper charts

I have a lot of older (80's mostly) charts of that area.

Any interest? I have a list somewhere of what I have (think I can still find it!)

I'd be asking somewhere around $3usd each, or could come up with a bulk price.

I'm in New Bern,NC, USA. Shipping might be really expensive.

Let me know your thoughts.

Doug Brown

dk9betts@gmail.com
Old 15-03-2016, 22:04   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Indonesian paper charts

Good luck, Scooter!

I've used three different flavours of paper charts of Indonesian waters: US charts (a few of which were copies of Netherlands charts from pre-WW2); UKHO charts; and Indonesian charts (TNI AL Dinas Hidro). For large scale work, the TNI charts are the only ones that are up-to-date and worth using.

TNI AL Dinas Hidro has been reluctant/slow?/wanting its own price in allowing foreign electronic chartmakers access to its charts. Indonesia sold access to Jeppesen in 2013 and more recently to UKHO.

I used a friend of a friend to buy charts from Dinas Hidro's shopfront in Jakarta. To do that, I first worked through the chart catalogue to find the numbers of the charts I wanted.

You can start by working through the relevant website (Dishidros TNI AL) and pages such as: Unit Penjualan Peta dan Buku Nautika

If you are joining one of the rallies that leave Darwin later this year, you can wait until you have entered Indonesia with the rally and then make friends with any of the officers of the Indonesia navy that you will meet at the rally welcoming ceremony.

Tags
charts, Indonesia