Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2021, 19:10   #1

Boat: Dufour 12000CT 45'
Cape dory or Dufour

Hi all

Trying to decide on purchase between a Dufour 12000 CT 45' ketch with fin keel/ skegged rudder, glued on teak deck, center cockpit with aft stateroom, 2 heads and 2nd helm in the saloon; and a Cape Dory 40' cutter with full keel, grp deck, more traditional layout of qtr/ v berths, and 1 head

Both are of similar age in the 80's, pricing per size, equip, and optional/ required upgrades and refit

My goal is in 5 yrs do blue water passage with first 1-4 yrs of local coastal cruising; all with a crew of 2, me and SO

Appreciate any thoughts and advise on which may be "best" choice in high level terms; ie should the choice be based on Dufour vs Cape Dory, or level of accommodations, or just preference?

Thx
Paul
piteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 19:51   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Cape dory or Dufour

I met the original owners of a Cape Dory 40 in Bermuda a few years back. They had cruised Europe, the Med, and the Caribbean extensively and had nothing but good to say. That would be my choice. That being said whichever you decide is best for you bear in mind that regular maintenance and upgrades are required to keep any boat seaworthy. Don’t buy a money pit. Ensure your choice does not require immediate maintenance or upgrades as that requires a substantial outlay of boat units on top of the purchase price. Electronics more than a couple years old are throwaways. Freshwater, diesel, and holding tank integrity is a must. A new diesel runs 20 grand plus, new sails nearly the same.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 21:19   #3

Thx for recommends Orion Jim

I expect any 30/40 yr old boat to be somewhat of a upgrade project wise as long as the basic bones are in good order and budgeting for that. Also have set aside additional budget for passage refit in due time

So my real question is, should the CD or Dufour be the candidate for this endeavour?

Btw, do I see a CD in your s/v photos? Kudos if yes and see where you're coming from
Old 31-08-2021, 05:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by piteng View Post
By the way, do I see a Cape Dory in your s/v photos? Kudos if yes - and I see where you're coming from
Jim has a friggin' GORGEOUS Cape Dory!

If I remember correctly, he may have pictures of her in his Forum Gallery, but he has, on occasion, posted a pic as part of a thread... Jim?

Fair winds, piteng
LittleWing77

P.S. Either boat - whichever is in better shape and engine with low hours and not an Atomic 4... that'd be my vote. Also watch out the the Dufour's keel has not oxidized (I believe that's the term - or something like). We had a new Member, JonVonOrient, about a year ago who encountered this problem with his new-to-him Dufour:

My First Sailboat
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-240139.html
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 07:26   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This is Orion in St. George’s Bermuda shortly after arrival two years ago. I have singlehanded there five times to date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5EAB5E78-6EA8-4813-B31E-B7AA4A58F082.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	244534  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 08:53   #6

yeah she's a beaut
is it another CD 40?
Old 31-08-2021, 09:57   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Hi all

Trying to decide on purchase between a Dufour 12000 CT 45' ketch with fin keel/ skegged rudder, glued on teak deck, center cockpit with aft stateroom, 2 heads and 2nd helm in the saloon; and a Cape Dory 40' cutter with full keel, grp deck, more traditional layout of qtr/ v berths, and 1 head

Both are of similar age in the 80's, pricing per size, equip, and optional/ required upgrades and refit

My goal is in 5 yrs do blue water passage with first 1-4 yrs of local coastal cruising; all with a crew of 2, me and SO

Appreciate any thoughts and advise on which may be "best" choice in high level terms; ie should the choice be based on Dufour vs Cape Dory, or level of accommodations, or just preference?

Thx
Paul
Ask your SO for their input. Personally I'd go the Cape Dory. Maybe not as much room as the Dufour for storage but might have better motion at sea. Plus I alsways liked the CD lines. Plus prefer cutter over ketch offshore.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 11:19   #8

thx for input

seem the Dufour's comfort ratio is slightly higher than the CD
probably because it's longer by 5 ft and heavier by about 7,000 lbs
i do like the CD as think have better reputation, but the separate stateroom and pilot house is a great layout
Old 31-08-2021, 14:35   #9

Quote:
Thx for input.

Seems the Dufour's comfort ratio is slightly higher than the CD - probably because it's longer by 5 ft and heavier by about 7,000 lbs.

I do like the CD, as I think they have a better reputation, but the separate stateroom and pilothouse is a great layout.
Sounds like you're leaning toward the Dufour, which is fine. They're pretty nice boats. Ultimately, you've gotta love the boat you buy. And a sailor loves what he loves!

Just get a survey and make your offer contingent upon the survey + sea trial not revealing any dealbreakers...

My caveat to you would be: Remember to be cautious in this market. I'm seeing a trend of project boats being represented as more than they are, as some of these sellers are effectively putting lipstick on a pig in an attempt at a money-grab.

You do NOT want to be saddled with a project boat! You want to go sailing.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Old 31-08-2021, 14:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
This is Orion in St. George’s Bermuda shortly after arrival two years ago. I have singlehanded there five times to date.
Uhhhhh. O WHY did I request a picture?

Just GORegous, Jim.
We're drooling up here in TO!
LittleWing77
Old 31-08-2021, 14:42   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the teak decks alone would make me run to the cape dory.
Old 31-08-2021, 16:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sounds like you're leaning toward the Dufour, which is fine. They're pretty nice boats. Ultimately, you've gotta love the boat you buy. And a sailor loves what he loves!

Just get a survey and make your offer contingent upon the survey + sea trial not revealing any dealbreakers...

My caveat to you would be: Remember to be cautious in this market. I'm seeing a trend of project boats being represented as more than they are, as some of these sellers are effectively putting lipstick on a pig in an attempt at a money-grab.

You do NOT want to be saddled with a project boat! You want to go sailing.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
yes agreed- i actually walked down the aisle with a tayana 37 last month but the survey turned south- 100% wet decks so sadly had to abandon ship as was not interested in doing a project.
then same surveyor actually recommended i look at the dufour which is through reputable broker so feel a little safer than the CD, which is with a private seller with some timing issues.
Old 31-08-2021, 16:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the teak decks alone would make me run to the cape dory.
yes if teak were screwed down to cored deck but in this case it's a glue down so my understanding, it's like an area rug. though i do know they still need to be maintained
Old 31-08-2021, 16:48   #14

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

You will not have wet decks/core caused by teak that is glued down.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 16:54   #15

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Would go for the CD40 w/a more modern under body (Chuck Paine designs).

A couple of examples here currently on the market:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ckpit-3847962/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ckpit-3843487/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, Dufour