Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 15:18   #1

Boat: Currently Looking at Lagoons
Thoughts on Dufour Atoll 6 “Monomaran” 50’

I was hoping to get your pros and cons and any other thoughts you have on the unusual styling of the Dufour Atoll 6 50’ monomaran from you more experienced sailors. I know the discussion is set up for opposing opinions but that’s okay, I’m all ears.

This would be for a Liveaboard situation, Florida and Caribbean sailing, and possibly circumnavigation should finances allow. Is this boat up to all tasks should it have adequate equipment and capt skill?

The layout is very different and the boat is quite beamy at 16’, would there be issues with making port with that beam? Sailing issues?

Would like to hear from any owners/operators of this boat, if you know any please tags them.

Also looking for a polar chart if one exists. Known problem areas, etc.

Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69E1FC50-8E2F-42F1-91CC-0FE2A986FC19.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	219583   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E1E1710-DFD3-40FE-BEF2-C47C0AF15D9A.jpeg
Views:	515
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	219584  

Name:	815619C7-BA7A-413C-B24E-B38DDDC36A30.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	219585   Click image for larger version

Name:	99BF564D-AA34-4605-9F4E-E13D53AB150C.jpeg
Views:	540
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	219586  

Name:	809E0613-FA49-421E-9AAA-656D2703D54B.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	219587   Click image for larger version

Name:	38149281-16C1-4562-A7B0-078777D2F1B3.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	219588  

4K Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 15:39   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Thoughts on Dufour Atoll 6 “Monomaran” 50’

Well the layout is certainly charter based so it's unlikely to be appropriately kitted out for serious sailing. The quadruple bed is... Interesting ��.

You'd be likely to want to declare yourself with a beam over 5 metres -- that wouldn't fit into a 50 foot (16m) slip where I am, for example, so you'll either be paying for a longer berth or the multihull premium.

Personally I wouldn't want to go offshore on a boat with such a huge water carrier in the forward deck.

I'm sure it's a great party boat, but why on earth would you choose something like that for a circumnavigation?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 16:41   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Only 1ft wider than my Gulfstar 50. Odd boat. It just gets beamy fast and holds that beam well aft.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 18:13   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It's obviously in response to the Jeanneau Sun Loft 47, which is very similar. Six double cabins and four heads below decks but all the living space up on deck. They call it a "monocat" which is about as oxymoronic as names get.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 18:23   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
It's obviously in response to the Jeanneau Sun Loft 47, which is very similar. Six double cabins and four heads below decks but all the living space up on deck. They call it a "monocat" which is about as oxymoronic as names get.
Truly. I think it’s an awful layout unless you’re in the term charter business.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 18:25   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. An interesting, if dated, design. A very open plan (good if you are in the tropics, bad elsewhere.

Very basic outfit and average built quality (mind their age) and a very very charter oriented cabin(s) layout.

I have talked to owners docked in the first Le Marin lagoon and living onboard permanently. apparently the boat sails very well in plain conditions but suffers upwind in any stronger blow.

You need to get onboard one at see for yourself. I am not 100% certain many owners will appreciate the interior.

I can get you one cheaply from Martinique but you would need to pick it up somewhere in the Caribbean.

Cheers,
b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 06:45   #7

Boat: Currently Looking at Lagoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have talked to owners docked in the first Le Marin lagoon and living onboard permanently. apparently the boat sails very well in plain conditions but suffers upwind in any stronger blow.

You need to get onboard one at see for yourself. I am not 100% certain many owners will appreciate the interior.

I can get you one cheaply from Martinique but you would need to pick it up somewhere in the Caribbean.

Cheers,
b
Thank you. While sailing one in a range of conditions would be ideal, the next best is asking those who have, even seeing a good video would be nice too. I am interested to know their strengths and weaknesses in sailing in different conditions. I wonder how bad it could be upwind in less than ideal conditions. I understand the wide beam combined with large waves can lead to rudder cavitation and loss of steering, on other beamy boats, however, at what degree could this occur, is this boat susceptible? I’ve not been able to find any real sailing data on this design, like the internet is void of it or I’m just missing it somewhere. If properly reefed would it really be an issue? Also, looking for a polar diagram, although they don’t tell all for all conditions. I would certainly appreciate a pm if you have a deal somewhere.

Someone also mentioned the water carrier in the front, that area is about 16” deep, x 6’ and can hold two people pretty well. Don’t hate me here, but throw down a tarp to prevent draining and let it fill with rain water, even a water heater, instant fresh water bath. No joke that crossed my mind. Then again, it could be mitigated, a few fenders underneath a tarp and no water should really get in there.

Reference interior design, I like the segregated rooms, especially converting 1 into a storage and workshop, make v birth an open owners suite, keep others as staterooms, etc. Easy for passengers and family. Privacy for staterooms is a bonus.

As far as decor, easy to clean, decorate, attach stuff, etc.

Someone mentioned not good for cold climate... I’m guessing a heated electric blanket could take care of that part, cockpit looks dry enough, helm is exposed though, which many tend to be.

Again. Thank you for your thoughts so far
4K Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:28   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

https://www.boats.com/reviews/dufour-atoll-50/

If you want to know what it sails like, you can probably still rent one in the Caribbean. Rent, have a hell of a weekend and take it out into the Martinique - Sta Lucia chanel - there you may find wind and waves enough to test your vision.

I would not worry at all about performance. Most tropical sailing is done on beam reach or on the run, windward miles, while few, are pushed thru with the donkey. So I would insist on a newish engine there.

These were not built for upwind performance but for space onboard and light inside. And for max out berths number.

You want an upwind boat, you get a J-boat. J-120 - much smaller, nimbler and will easily beat Atoll 50 on any upwind leg.

Horses / courses. Very interesting design but do not ask it to be anything but indifferent in upwind work, especially in 20kts+ and relevant swell running.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 22:30   #9

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Beaches View Post
I was hoping to get your pros and cons and any other thoughts you have on the unusual styling of the Dufour Atoll 6 50’ monomaran from you more experienced sailors. I know the discussion is set up for opposing opinions but that’s okay, I’m all ears.

This would be for a Liveaboard situation, Florida and Caribbean sailing, and possibly circumnavigation should finances allow. Is this boat up to all tasks should it have adequate equipment and capt skill?

The layout is very different and the boat is quite beamy at 16’, would there be issues with making port with that beam? Sailing issues?

Would like to hear from any owners/operators of this boat, if you know any please tags them.

Also looking for a polar chart if one exists. Known problem areas, etc.

Thank you for your input.
That 'swimming pool' on the foredeck would be interesting in any sort of seaway …..
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:46   #10

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Visibility from the helm is very poor, you can see the captain leaning over just to see straight ahead. The helm doesn't look well protected from bad weather either... not designed for sailing, designed to sit at anchor or at the dock.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 10:11   #11

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Visibility from the helm is very poor, you can see the captain leaning over just to see straight ahead. The helm doesn't look well protected from bad weather either... .
The visibility from the helm is awful. Look at the photos. On many sailboats you might have to move occasionally from directly behind the helm in order to see everything forward but in this boat it looks like you can't see anywhere forward from the helm at any time. Also, definitely not the helm position you would want in any kind of salty weather unless you particularly like buckets of salt water in your face. The helmsperson is entirely exposed. In the cold I predict you would absolutely hate this configuration in a matter of minutes.

As for the "swimming pool" up forward. You're surrounded by water. Swim there. If you have small kids and really want them in a more controlled environment go to the pool in the marina or just spray 'em down with the fresh water deck hose. The idea that in foul weather you could drop a couple of fenders in that area, cover them with a tarp and go merrily on your way does not compute. Any weather nasty enough to make that a concern is going to make short work of your tarp and fender solution.

The only positive aspect of that 'feature' is it provides a level deck area for working the foredeck.

From your responses my guess is that you like this boat so much you will rationalize some of the drawbacks inherent to the design. (No shame, we've all been there.) Ultimately chartering this particular model might be in your best interest to see how it works for you.

Happy hunting.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour