Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 06:03   #1

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Belize 43 For Sale

It is with a very heavy heart that I announce that "Always & All Ways," our 2004 Belize 43, is for sale. We ordered her new from France, took delivery in the BVI where all the 110 VAC work was done, had her in charter in Belize (with TMM) for 5 years, lived aboard for 1 1/2 years, and for the past many years have been dividing our time between our house in Panama and cruising the Western Caribbean in her.
We now have grandchildren and a summer cottage in NH and as a result have been spending less and less time on our boat. We have come to the conclusion that you cannot maintain a boat like this for only 1-2 months a year which is about what we have had lately.
Very briefly, in addition to the basic FP package, we have added:
• Very solid bimini (1 1/2” aluminum) with FG hard top and starboard walkway
• 800W solar panels
• 1000 Ah battery bank
• 8kW genset
• Air Conditioners in each hull
• 2kW inverter charger
• 40 gph watermaker
• Hood cruising spinnaker with ATN sock
• ATN Gale Sail
• Jordon drogue
• 11’ AB RIB dinghy W/ 15hp Yamaha
• SSB radio with Pactor modem for SailMail
• Full Raymarine instruments
• Stereo with speakers in cockpit, salon, and forward to the tramp.
• 20 kg Delta anchor on 400’ of 3/8” chain
• Also a #60 Fortress and 20 kg Bruce, both on chain/nylon rodes
• Coppercoat bottom paint 2014
• All new standing rigging (Korean, not Chinese) 2018

The boat is located at my house in Bocas del Toro, Panama. I realize this is a bit of a problem as boats are hard to sell in Panama. It is easy to get here from anywhere in the Caribbean, but unless you are going through the canal to the Pacific, more challenging to get back anywhere else in the Caribbean. (That said, we have sailed up the Western Caribbean several times, including a trip to Cuba.) I could move the boat, but where? And how much will it cost me to berth her until she sells? I would welcome anyone’s comments on these issues. Of course, if you are interested in buying her, so much the better!
dmtparkerLcsk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 07:04   #2

Re: Belize 43 For Sale

What is the asking price? Thanks.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 07:08   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I just saw "Always..." at anchor a few days ago and wondered if something might be afoot.

Very true, it is expensive and frustrating to try and maintain a boat for only a few months of use per year. We are in a similar "boat" now.

Rather than presenting the boat's location as a negative, I suggest presenting it as a positive. The SW Carib is a great cruising ground. And sailing the N bound route to the NW Carib is not bad (the other way round can be a PITA).

The Bocas archipeligo is beautiful and easily accessible with flights directly into Bocas. Far Eastern Panama, gateway to the San Blas, is only an overnight sail away (Im a little embarrassed to admit we have been cruising the San Blas for about 6 years now, and are looking forward to returning).

A good range of marinas and yacht services are available in Bocas. Including many good supermarkets and hardware stores.

Plus plenty of activities for guests: surfing, snorkeling, scuba, beach bumming, hiking, many bar/resturant options...and Bocas Town for those who like to party.

And now there is an annual regatta in Bocas, I just crewed it it yesterday. Great fun!

Another overnight run gets you to San Andreas/Providencia and the small islands scattered around them...another very enjoyable area.

Another overnight run from the San Blas gets you to Colombia's Carib coast...with great stops like Cartagena and beautiful offshore islands.

Whats not like?

I would not move the boat. I suggest promoting the boat as already being in a awesome cruising ground which is easy for potential buyers to access. Offer the buyer a travel costs offset (like $1,000) credited at closing.

If you do chose to move the boat then let me know. It would be fun to sail her again. I captained her many times when she was in the charter fleet in Belize. She makes a great charter boat for larger groups or would be a great family boat.

And another note to potential buyers: FPs from that era sail quite well. Ive personally had "Always..." up to 11 knots, fully loaded with a large charter group, and was not pushing her hard at all.

Best Regards,

Curtis
(aboard Cattleya in Bocas S anchorage)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:48   #4

Thanks so much for your kind words. And, yes, Panama, and Bocas in particular, is a great place to cruise. It is just that I see so many very deteriorated boats for sale by people who sailed here and then stopped sailing. But you are right. I'll edit my post.
Old 16-02-2020, 09:39   #5

And, my condolences, I know that must be a hard decision. [emoji253]
Old 16-02-2020, 10:59   #6

You could keep the boat bareboat charter for few month
MAGOOMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 11:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGOOMAX View Post
You could keep the boat bareboat charter for few month
Tried that, but impossible to manage if I'm not here. And charterers are often hard on boats. (It cost us ~$10,000 for repairs when we took her out of charter.)
Old 16-02-2020, 12:17   #8

...and no charter companies in Panama.
Old 16-02-2020, 12:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtparkerLcsk53 View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words. And, yes, Panama, and Bocas in particular, is a great place to cruise. It is just that I see so many very deteriorated boats for sale by people who sailed here and then stopped sailing. But you are right. I'll edit my post.
I think a lot of the deteriorating boats you see in Bocas are just simply abandonded. There are always a few in the anchorages.
Old 16-02-2020, 12:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...and no charter companies in Panama.
I actually talked with Barney @ TMM about this, he was thinking maybe some power cats in the Bocas archipelago, but I think he is pretty happy being back just in the BVI.
There are a few charters around, but no bareboat.
Old 16-02-2020, 12:28   #11

I found I couldn't edit my post, so here it is again with Curt's suggestions at the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtparkerLcsk53 View Post
It is with a very heavy heart that I announce that "Always & All Ways," our 2004 Belize 43, is for sale. We ordered her new from France, took delivery in the BVI where all the 110 VAC work was done, had her in charter in Belize (with TMM) for 5 years, lived aboard for 1 1/2 years, and for the past many years have been dividing our time between our house in Panama and cruising the Western Caribbean in her.
We now have grandchildren and a summer cottage in NH and as a result have been spending less and less time on our boat. We have come to the conclusion that you cannot maintain a boat like this for only 1-2 months a year which is about what we have had lately.
Very briefly, in addition to the basic FP package, we have added:
• Very solid bimini (1 1/2” aluminum) with FG hard top and starboard walkway
• 800W solar panels
• 1000 Ah battery bank
• 8kW genset
• Air Conditioners in each hull
• 2kW inverter charger
• 40 gph watermaker
• Hood cruising spinnaker with ATN sock
• ATN Gale Sail
• Jordon drogue
• 11’ AB RIB dinghy W/ 15hp Yamaha
• SSB radio with Pactor modem for SailMail
• Full Raymarine instruments
• Stereo with speakers in cockpit, salon, and forward to the tramp.
• 20 kg Delta anchor on 400’ of 3/8” chain
• Also a #60 Fortress and 20 kg Bruce, both on chain/nylon rodes
• Coppercoat bottom paint 2014
• All new standing rigging (Korean, not Chinese) 2018

The boat is located at my house in Bocas del Toro, Panama.
This is an ideal location for exploring the Western Caribbean. We have made many trips to the San Blas Islands of Panama and never tire of them. We have sailed North to Albuquerque Cays (definitely not to be missed!), San Andres, and Providencia many times, also the Bay Islands of Honduras, Guatemala and the Rio Dulce, Belize, the Caymans, and even Cuba over the past several years. Bocas is easy to get to via air and if you buy the boat, I will discount your airfare from the price.
The boat does show its age a bit and we are in the process of doing some repairs and cosmetic upgrades. When done, she will sell for $225,000. If you want to finish these yourself, talk to me and ‘let’s make a deal.’
Old 16-02-2020, 12:56   #12

I suspect he is, things got messy near the end in Belize.

Power cats would be a good option here in W Panama, rarely any decent wind anyway (except there was in the regatta yesterday...we clocked gusts to 27 knots! Yeeha! I was racing on a sister ship to "Always" named "Halcyon" which I also used to captain in Belize. Got up to about 9.5k sailing close hauled...not too shabby).

Trade Winds tried it here for a little while, but didnt stay long. Not sure why. I did weather routing for a captain/friend delivering their last boat in Panama back Belize. He was just a hired hand and didnt know why it didnt work out for them here.

A few individual boats doing day sails here in Bocas and some others picking up the occassional longer charter (illegal I assume), but nothing resembling a charter company like TMM. Loads of illegal charters in the San Blas, but you dont want "Always" anywhere near that unsavory lot.

I would just make sure she is well tended too at your home dock.
Old 17-02-2020, 17:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Doc, I'm sorry to hear this. We chartered your boat in Belize. Had a great time on it. Personally, I think it's in a great place. I wish I could swap our location for yours.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 05:14   #14
Marine Service Provider

Hi
Shelter Bay Marina has a Boats for sale program which could make it easier to show you boat.

Russ
Russ Goedjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, belize 43, for sale, sale