Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 10:21   #1

SOUTHERLY 100 - ? Right boat?

I have been an avid reader of forum posts for some years but this is my first post and it is a request for help in deciding if a SOUTHERLY 100 would be a good choice for me.
I sail on the East Coast of the UK mostly in the Medway and Thames Estuary, I keep my boat in a locked marina and mostly sail singlehanded. I am now reaching my senior years(74) but am fit and still quite agile. I have been sailing a MacGregor 26M for the past 3 years mostly day sails. I am beginning to find it quite tiring when the wind is above F3 even with reefs in as the boat heals a great deal in gusts (45degrees+) and I think a heavier and more stable boat would be more suitable.
I have found a really superb SOUTHERLY 100 and want to know if forum members would think it suitable for my needs and especially if I could manage it single handed.
It does not have a bow thruster so I am wondering how easy it would be to negotiate the marina lock etc.
Your valued comments would be most appreciated.
PLINY AD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 11:23   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: SOUTHERLY 100 - ? Right boat?

a Southerly 100 should be an excellent boat for your plans with both sailing and space features. Bow thruster is very rare at smaller boats and while I don't know how tight is your marina, it should normally maneuver well and provide you much safer conditions.

Yet, moving from a light 26' to a more standard displacement 33' is a significant change for a single handed and if you can, try to do several sea trials and see how it works for you. If I was to plan mostly single handed sailing, I would stay under 28-30' and aim for the most modern design possible.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Super choice of yacht given the shallow water and climate you are going to be sailing in. I think the change in size will work for you. The Southerly will be much more stable and comfortable to be on. As for single handing, well I single hand my Moody 31 which is a similar size without any problems. It is a great size between a small yacht that tips quickly and too large to single hand in tricky situations on your own.

We have owned our yacht for 14 years, crossed the channel regularly and go away as often as we can. Nor do we have any problem getting in somewhere. We have arrived in Guernsey after a channel crossing the harbourmaster has squeezed us in even during the August high season. We have then seen him throw his arms up is despair when someone turns up with even a modest 45ft yacht.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 11:43   #4

Maybe to late to this party but if you are still thinking about buying one I bought a Southerly 100 two years ago and have to say for easy, comfortable sailing it is hard to beat. Reefed in novice sailors are comfortable in a force 5 Single handed is not a problem with an autohelm as all sheets lead to the cockpit. Still get a great kick out of motoring up to the beach in crowded anchorages when a lifting keel is a real boon. However two points to note The lifting keel needs a very expensive service every 8-10 years the bills on mine came to £8,000 + and you need a good speed to have comfortable control in reverse. I used my bow thruster a lot when marina mooring on the Hamble, now in a locked marina and can just about manage without.
Martin Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 12:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SOUTHERLY 100 - ? Right boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Ward View Post
Maybe to late to this party but if you are still thinking about buying one I bought a Southerly 100 two years ago and have to say for easy, comfortable sailing it is hard to beat. Reefed in novice sailors are comfortable in a force 5 Single handed is not a problem with an autohelm as all sheets lead to the cockpit. Still get a great kick out of motoring up to the beach in crowded anchorages when a lifting keel is a real boon. However two points to note The lifting keel needs a very expensive service every 8-10 years the bills on mine came to £8,000 + and you need a good speed to have comfortable control in reverse. I used my bow thruster a lot when marina mooring on the Hamble, now in a locked marina and can just about manage without.
I have been eyeing the Southerly 28 of which there are several for sale.. look nice and roomy for their size and that sheltered helm station has appeal.. however as you say, the keel problem has me undecided to date.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 13:14   #6

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have been eyeing the Southerly 28 of which there are several for sale.. look nice and roomy for their size and that sheltered helm station has appeal.. however as you say, the keel problem has me undecided to date.
I'm kind of loving the lifting keel and those little bilge keels for drying out, to go along with the sheltered helm. Lots of boxes checked off for the cold-weather gunk-hole solo cruiser.

28 is a tad small for my tastes, but I notice as you climb higher you lose the vestigial bilge keels...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 13:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SOUTHERLY 100 - ? Right boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I'm kind of loving the lifting keel and those little bilge keels for drying out, to go along with the sheltered helm. Lots of boxes checked off for the cold-weather gunk-hole solo cruiser.

28 is a tad small for my tastes, but I notice as you climb higher you lose the vestigial bilge keels...
That's what I like.. ease of self maintenance, just tie up on a slipway, scrub the bottom as the tide goes out then start anti fouling as soon as she's clear.. an easy 6hrs to work in for other tasks as well, anodes, prop, rudder etc..
Low budget cruising..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 15:15   #8

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's what I like.. ease of self maintenance, just tie up on a slipway, scrub the bottom as the tide goes out then start anti fouling as soon as she's clear.. an easy 6hrs to work in for other tasks as well, anodes, prop, rudder etc..
Low budget cruising..
Yup. Especially when my favorite harbors tend to look like this at low tide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01410.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	235332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01837.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	235333  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 6.18.42 PM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	235334  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat