Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 19:15   #1

Boat: Nordic 44
Best way to get in a kayak from a sailboat

We enjoy using kayaks from our sailboat, but to get into them we attach a swim ladder to the side of the boat and (very carefully) lower ourselves into a kayak. Getting out and back on board is more challenging.

We are looking at switching boats and wondering if a swim platform is the ticket? Or a transom ladder? We are in the Pacific NW, so not getting wet is high priority.

Any advice out there?
jcgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:26   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Best way to get in a kayak from a sailboat

Yes, a swim platform helps a lot, best if you can get beside it (not crosswise to the waves). Also with the kayak under the wings of a trimaran.

Having something to grab waist-high also helps.

Old 11-10-2020, 19:29   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

I have a walk through transom with ladder and use it to board kayaks, canoes, and a 14' aluminum boat. It works OK. Our sailboat has a transom-hung rudder and an outboard motor and they both get in the way to some degree but we make it work.

It takes a fair amount of balance and good technique i.e. stepping into the center of the kayak.

Went on a guided kayak tour once on the Appledore V and they had a swim platform they put out for boarding the kayaks, which was luxurious.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 20:06   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

While watching kayakers at the local rental place I saw them get pulled up on a little floating dock and then they exited easily onto the dock. I got to thinking how that could be adapted to a boat. So maybe a board hanging, hinged at the swim step, slightly lowered that you paddle onto and then pull it up level or slightly tilted toward the step with a line from blocks on an arch or hoist on the stern if that makes sense. The kayak is stabilized and you step out onto a dry deck. Otherwise I can only say that my inflatable which has large tubes and a fairly rigid drop-stitch floor is pretty good for exiting to a ladder. It is pretty stable to stand on, similar to inflatable SUPs now.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 22:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Sugar scoop transom makes the transition to a “sit on top” kayak pretty easy because you’re going over and down onto it. Coming aboard can be slightly more of an exercise, having a knotted rope hanging from the stern rail down to to water line make for a good hand hold while scooting yourself up onto the swim platform. Possible to do without getting wet. If the weather is warm and you don’t mind getting your legs wet, hanging your legs of the side makes stepping onto the swim ladder and up onto the swim platform easy.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:38   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Placing a paddle across the dock/platform/tender onto the kayak and scooting across that is time honored and awkward.

Experienced paddlers learn to stand in the kayak for a few seconds and simply step in, perhaps with assistance from a hand hold. But like riding a bike, much of success derives from not hesitating or faffing about. Just step and sit. You'll learn to do it in chop. It's not physical, just balance.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:54   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

On my boat, I just put the kayak in the water, untie the lifeline, bring the kayak alongside, sit on the deck, step into the kayak, and then sit down.

That's about it.

To get off, do the reverse.

My kayak is a Folboat Cooper. 24" wide. !6'6" long. 40 lbs.

https://www.rei.com/product/850521/f...-folding-kayak

https://used-kayaks.com/folbot/folbo...fits-bag-70462
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00223.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	225055  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:29   #8

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Good question - We are experimenting with inflatable kayaks after getting rid of the dinghy - No motor, less weight, smaller storage - much-needed exercise....and yes getting in and out (we only have a stern ladder) is not as easy as our dinghy but is much easier/safer than our old hard shells.
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:33   #9

Boat: Ericson 38

I kayak all the time from my boat and find that it is easiest to enter and exit the kayak from amidships at the lifeline gate where there are two strong reinforced stanchions to hold on to. I recently added one of those rubber fenders that is also a step that tie's to the two stanchions. With this method you are holding both stanchions while you slide over the side with your stomach facing the hull of the sailboat. The key is to step into the center of the kayak while your other knee knee is on the rubber step. You are holding onto the stanchions the whole time until the end where you have to let go and drop into the kayak seat. When you exit the kayak everything is done in reverse. This is much easier than from the stern as the boat may be bobbing up and down with the waves and it can be dangerous or even a deadly maneuver. The guests on my boat who don't regularly kayak have no problem with this technique. I am also in the northwest and don't want to get wet.
kenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:05   #10

Boat: Pearson 530

From sit in kayak roll onto RIB, then up the ladder. I saw a trawler that lowered their swim platform below the water and paddled on and pressed a button.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:13   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I would climb into the dinghy and from there into the kayak.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:20   #12

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

We have a swim ladder on our transom and it still is a jump and hope type of situation for new people. I like to put one foot in kayak and sit on bottom step of sugar scoop then use hands to transfer hips to kayak.

But... Have you thought about entering kayak from the dinghy.

It is lower to the water level and you will need to put one foot into kayak and then transfer hips. You are lower to the water and less likely to be an all or nothing situation. You could tie kayak side to dinghy to give more stability. I tie the side of the kayak to the swim ladder on lower step of sugar scoop to prevent from tipping.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:41   #13

Boat: Leopard 45

From most catamarans its an easy entrance with the kayak pulled snug to the swim ladder and transom which is usually only a foot or so above the water. Holding onto the swim ladder you can stem into the kayak with ease and the swim ladder gives you stability. The same is true from a mono hull but you may or may not have the transom low enough to work form so you need to work down the swim ladder the kayak perpendicular to the boat snug against the swim ladder in the transom. so long as you keep a good grip on the swim ladder you have a pretty good stability both entering and leaving the kayak. Just be sure to tie off the kayak bow line before leaving.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:43   #14

I am a Sea Scout leader and we have to launch a kayak to get our 1976 Westsail 32 from a mooring.

The Kayak is a sit on top Ocean Kayak and I have pick up and drop off the boat.

I come along side the boat to the side gate, tie off the kayak, and hang onto the gunnale, stand up on the kayak pressing the kayak into the side of the boat, take the paddle and place in the boat, and then basically push myself up onto the side deck.

Leaving, I tie the kayak in the same position and blindly lower myself over the side until my feet hit the kayak, take the paddle and place it in the kayak, untie the kayak, and sit down in the kayak.

I am 50yo 5'6" and 190#.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:57   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We always found more support when entering or exiting our kayaks by using the paddle to bridge the kayak to and adjacent platform, dinghy, other kayak,..etc.

Tags
boat, Kayak, sail, sailboat