Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 15:17   #1
cruiser

Serving Alcohol Aboard a nonmotorized floating tiki boat in Florida

I am wanting to build something here in the Florida Keys like that floating Tiki bar boat in Fiji called Cloud 9 but want a clear answer on what I will need legally to do it and cant find a answer anywhere. The boat in Fiji is a pizza bar that sells pizza and Alcohol. I know in Florida if you dont have a motor you dont even need a registration correct me if im wrong? I know there is a guy with a pontoon boat that sells food and drinks at the sand bar here in Islamorada Florida in the Florida Keys but not sure if he straight up sells beer or liquor. I heard he does charge people to swim up and open there mouth while he pours shots down there throat which maybe he is getting around the law by claiming he is charging them for the pouring service but again I am not really sure. Do I need some sort of business license even or even a liquor license to sell on the water from a floating tiki bar boat with no motor that doesnt move?

Old 10-09-2020, 15:23   #2

Re: Serving Alcohol Aboard a nonmotorized floating tiki boat in Florida

Sounds like you need to find yourself an attorney who is based in Florida.
Old 10-09-2020, 15:23   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

If you are seeking legal advice on Florida Alcoholic Beverage laws in a boating forum you are already off to a bad start. If you cannot afford to consult an attorney specializing in this field of law, you have little chance of success.
Old 10-09-2020, 15:30   #4
cruiser

Why pay a lawyer when you have the internet and wonderful people like you all to help me find the answers on google to all my questions. Surely somewhere on google there are the answers and someone here knows where they are. Well I hope at least. Who likes to deal with or wants to pay a lawyer? NOT ME! Thanks you guys.
Old 10-09-2020, 15:31   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Contact the local SCORE office and ask for a referral to an attorney while asking them the same questions.

No one here is qualified to give you small business legal advice for the state of Florida.

Edit: at least pay for a month of rocketlaw and ask your question on there.
Old 10-09-2020, 15:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkinglaws View Post
Why pay a lawyer when you have the internet and wonderful people like you all to help me find the answers on google to all my questions. Surely somewhere on google there are the answers and someone here knows where they are. Well I hope at least. Who likes to deal with or wants to pay a lawyer? NOT ME! Thanks you guys.
Why pay for accurate advice from an expert when you can get opinions and guesses from random people on the internet?
Old 10-09-2020, 15:42   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Why pay for accurate advice from an expert when you can get opinions and guesses from random people on the internet?

I am not looking for "opinions and guesses" I am looking for a a link to a Florida law somewhere on a government website that is clear about the laws and answers to my questions but seems so far there is nothing but a bunch of smart asses here like you. Ever heard of being nice? Jeeeezzz
Old 10-09-2020, 16:22   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

When you come to your senses and do contact a lawyer the first question you need to be prepared to answer will be jurisdiction. In simple terms the State of Florida has jurisdiction over alcohol sales state wide and getting a liquor license is a tall order even if you have the big bucks required to get one; thought with COVID-19 driving bars into closing the cost is a little lower than in the past if you can buy one from someone who already has one.

While the State of Florida has jurisdiction state wide including most of the submerged lands in some places the jurisdiction of submerged lands goes to the county or city level. Especially in the Keys there are also places where there is Federal jurisdiction.

Point is before anyone can answer your question you will need to answer with great detail just where you plan to do business so who has jurisdiction can be established.
Old 10-09-2020, 16:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I am not looking for "opinions and guesses" I am looking for a a link to a Florida law somewhere on a government website that is clear about the laws and answers to my questions but seems so far there is nothing but a bunch of smart asses here like you. Ever heard of being nice? Jeeeezzz

We've got another one!
Old 10-09-2020, 16:33   #10

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
You are looking for a simplistic answer to a complex and multi-faceted question.

That would suggest that you are man with an idea, but no clue of where to start.

As I understand it, you basically want to open a floating bar anchored in Florida state waters that serves food and alcohol. Maybe start by researching Florida laws and restrictions for anchoring commercial barges.
Old 10-09-2020, 16:39   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
You are looking for a simplistic answer to a complex and multi-faceted question.

That would suggest that you are man with an idea, but no clue of where to start.

As I understand it, you basically want to open a floating bar anchored in Florida state waters that serves food and alcohol. Maybe start by researching Florida laws and restrictions for anchoring commercial barges.

But would it be commercial? Does it have to be commercial? Do I even need to register it at all? These are more good questions.
Old 10-09-2020, 16:46   #12

Quote:
But would it be commercial? Does it have to be commercial? Do I even need to register it at all? These are more good questions.
No they are stupid questions from a time waster too lazy to do his own research. If you want to google something do it yourself.
Old 10-09-2020, 16:54   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

I have seen tiki boats in the Keys. Do a search for the people who advertise them and give a call on what it took.
Old 10-09-2020, 17:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You get away with anything, until your caught.
Good luck with trying to find loopholes
Old 10-09-2020, 18:42   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread had 11 posts deleted. Some were direct attacks on other CF members; others quoted deleted posts; and some were political rants.

I'd like to thank the folks who reported the posts. Without that, the moderators would have taken longer to act.

Ann

Tags
boat, florida, loa, motor