Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 07:21   #1

Boat: Soon!
30’ sailboat near Seattle

My wife and I are looking for a relatively turn-key, (of course some projects are expected, but it should be able to sail, motor should work and be basically live-able,) 30’ sailboat under $10,000 near Seattle. We have a 30’ liveaboard slip for next year and are planning on living aboard and coastal cruising the area for the next decade or so. Then after retirement, who knows where we might go.

Full disclosure, we will make this purchase in February, but have begun looking now, since the process takes a bit of time.

I have been looking at CL and Sailboatlistings.com and yachtworld.com for months and have seen a few nice boats. Just thought I’d try here as well.

Thank you much for your time.
RandoSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 18:57   #2

Re: 30’ sailboat near Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoSailor View Post
My wife and I are looking for a relatively turn-key, (of course some projects are expected, but it should be able to sail, motor should work and be basically live-able,) 30’ sailboat under $10,000 near Seattle. We have a 30’ liveaboard slip for next year and are planning on living aboard and coastal cruising the area for the next decade or so. Then after retirement, who knows where we might go.

Full disclosure, we will make this purchase in February, but have begun looking now, since the process takes a bit of time.

I have been looking at CL and Sailboatlistings.com and yachtworld.com for months and have seen a few nice boats. Just thought I’d try here as well.

Thank you much for your time.
Contest 31 in Everett Wa. Maybe after a survey they would budge on price?

http://https://seattle.craigslist.or...044084000.html
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 19:23   #3

Thank you very much.
Old 25-12-2019, 19:39   #4

It’s a good looking boat. Perhaps a budge might be possible. We will put it on our list. Thanks again.
Old 31-12-2019, 09:43   #5

Boat: 1930 Abeking & Rasmussen double-ended sloop 36'36'

If your said slip size could be increased to accomodate a 36' vessel, you might look at mine in Tacoma. Built in 1930 by Abeking & Rasmussen as a double-ended yawl. Be more comfy. Steve 206-234-5806.
mickeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 10:14   #6

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I think if your going to liveaboard full time, you should look at something a little bigger than 30ft. There are some good 30fters, but jumping to 32-35 ft range will give you more options(like a west sail), but also be a bit more expensive.

Would hate to see yall move aboard a 30fter and after a season hate it and never return to boating
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 22:31   #7

Thank you. We actually just got a larger slip. However, I’m hesitant that a wood boat is the right choice. I’m attracted to them but wary. I can call you after the holiday and we can discuss it.
Old 31-12-2019, 22:39   #8

Thank you, I’ve heard similar advice from other liveaboard folks. We were looking at 32’-35’ at first, then a slip opened up, the wait can be years long we were told by many marinas, so we jumped on it. Someone in our marina recently moved and we were offered their larger slip and we took it. Now we can look up to 40’. However if we had to go smaller for now, our rent savings once aboard would allow us to upgrade in a few years if we need to. I don’t think I’m able to edit the title but I should edit my original post to reflect my slip change.
Thanks much for the advice!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:06   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

It's good you are looking for something a little bigger. I was out sailing yesterday in the sound on my friends Cal 2-29 and it is too small for liveaboard especially for 2.
Good luck.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
It's good you are looking for something a little bigger. I was out sailing yesterday in the sound on my friends Cal 2-29 and it is too small for liveaboard especially for 2.
Good luck.
Thank you for the feedback, i appreciate it.

Well, right now we have appointments to look at a Cal-2 29’ and a Newport 30’, a Yankee and Tartan 31’, and a Chris-Craft 35’ from Friday till the end of January. So we will get to see a few to compare.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:50   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think my friend paid $7000 for his Cal 2-29 so you can use that as a reference. I would say that it was in average or slightly below average condition. The genoa is near the end and the running rigging needs replacing. It does have a newer Beta though.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think my friend paid $7000 for his Cal 2-29 so you can use that as a reference. I would say that it was in average or slightly below average condition. The genoa is near the end and the running rigging needs replacing. It does have a newer Beta though.
That’s very helpful thank you very much. It’s good to know what people are paying not just what people are asking. Today we looked at a 30’ boat (I don’t want say which so I don’t offend the owners if they are reading) that needed all new sails, had a small 1/2” hole in the bow of the hull, needed a hull cleaning and painting, had leaking port lights and there was an electric spark and some smoke when the engine started, I think it was a wire connected to the starter, but not I wasn’t sure. It looked great inside but, needs a lot of work. Owners were asking more than double what your friend paid. I figure it needs almost 10k worth of work. We will continue the search. On the 11th we see our first of 2 Cal-29s, (I think they are the Cal 1 version) and a Yankee and Tartan 31, all with lower asking prices than today.

Long story shorter, thanks for the information, very helpful.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Contest 31 in Everett Wa. Maybe after a survey they would budge on price?

http://https://seattle.craigslist.or...044084000.html
I did contact the owner, he said he has two buyers already committed, but he’d contact me if they fell through.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:01   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you oughta budget 30K and get something really sweet to call home
Old 03-01-2020, 11:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
you oughta budget 30K and get something really sweet to call home
Well, I would if I could. After a year or two living aboard we will have that option from rent savings as our current rent is 10 times more than our marina fees.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, seattle