Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 11:39   #16

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Re: Calling all Pearson owners!

Sounds like a good boat the Beta is worth the trade-off for other issues. I put a Yanmar 3gm30f in my Pearson 30 and very happy with it. Plenty of boats out there with old engines that need unknown work simply due to age.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 14:45   #17

Boat: Pearson 30

Does that model Pearson have keel bolts?
The P 30 does not— it has an integrated keel to hull joint, As do some other models of Pearson if I’m not mistaken..
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 15:57   #18

Boat: Hunter, 1984, 25.5

I believe it has a keel to hull joint.
islandrose808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:00   #19

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
Does that model Pearson have keel bolts?
The P 30 does not— it has an integrated keel to hull joint, As do some other models of Pearson if I’m not mistaken..
Yes, the 10M has keel bolts.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:25   #20

Thank you for the email. We had our survey guy look over the survey and he agreed with much of what you said. We attempted to negotiate down however the seller doesn't want to budge too much. Appreciate your time Joe!
Old 11-03-2021, 08:37   #21

Boat: Pearson 34

I owned a 1980 P-10m for 7 years before upgrading to a live-aboard cruising boat. It's a solid and fairy fast and comfortable racer/cruiser. I did experience some deck leaks around the mast partners, and early on, the base of mast was severely corroded as it rested on a steel mast step. Had to cut off 3 inches and replace the mast step with a taller shoe - properly insulated against galvanic corrosion. I did not enjoy the main sheet traveler across the cockpit (knee knocker), but it made for easy single-handed sail control (which I did enjoy).

I'm told that the hull is very similar to the P-36 which George DuBose wrote about in the recent issue of This Old Boat - worth a read!

Good Luck!
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:44   #22

Thanks for the info RSB333! I'll definitely check out the article. The mast step wasn't too bad yet, some patina developing, but I see how corrosion would eventually entail a replacement. The traveler across the cockpit doesn't seem ideal, however with just my fiancé and myself single handling would be nice. Did you have an issues with a keel smile?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:11   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Seller doesn't want to budge too much? What is the price. That boat needs a bit of TLC.

I wouldn't pay more than 10 Grand for it.

There are so many used boats on the market, it's a buyer's paradise.

I had a P26 I couldn't give away. A complete refit would have cost over 10Gs with new cushions and new sails, new paint, new decking. The cockpit sole was soggy, but that was the only structural problem and could have been repaired.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:29   #24

Just sent you an email. In terms of the bilges, they looked clean and dry overall. Oddly though bilge with the mast step was full of glass marbles, not sure why?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:35   #25

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandrose808 View Post
Just sent you an email. In terms of the bilges, they looked clean and dry overall. Oddly though bilge with the mast step was full of glass marbles, not sure why?
A clean dry bilge is a good sign.
The marbles might have been placed in the bilge to displace water, allowing the bilge pump to evacuate a larger percentage of the water in the bilge. Are the marbles contained? are they free to roll up behind the bunks when the boat heals? Maybe they're also a sign the the boat hasn't been sailed hard.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:41   #26

Yes bilges didn't concern us. Good point on the marbles, they were contained within the bilge compartment so didn't really have anywhere to roll around to. She also doesn't have an updated registration- last one was from 2013 so probably wasn't sailed much.
Old 22-10-2021, 07:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Dan Pfeiffer on the pearson-boats@googlegroups.com blog is a 10M owner and very knowlegeable. He has a website with a lot of information about 10Ms, P26s and Pearsons in general.

If the "crack" at the forward edge of the keel is between the lead and the fiberglass, that is called a "smile", common to some Pearsons and Catalinas. What is more important is to check for cracking at the aft end of the keel by the hull. When striking an immovable object with one's keel, the collision forces the keel to torque down in the front and up at the rear of the keel.

My P36-1 had both and upon investigating the rear cracks, it became clear that there were also voids in the layup. I had to remove all the damaged glass and voids, but my repair was much stronger than the original construction and I have had no problems in that area since my repair.

The "smile" can be rectified by tightening the keel bolts, if possible and fairing the crack. I have had good luck with West System G-Flex and collodial silica.

Pearsons are good boats, but have some manufacturing deficiencies that need and can be repaired.
Hi, new forum member AND and new Pearson P30 owner! I love my boat and I’m excited to get started on some “little” projects. Posting here in the hopes that Dan Pfeiffer or anyone in that Pearson Google groups is monitoring it. I submitted a request to join, there are some used parts on there I really need!
factsaboutrats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, pearson