Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 13:25   #1

Boat: Hunter, 1984, 25.5
Calling all Pearson owners!

Can anyone provide some information on the Pearson 10m? We are looking at one now but can't find too much info on that particular boat. Here's a link to the CL ad. If anyone can provide some insight that would we appreciated! We are wanting to pull the trigger as we know this boat has received a lot of interest. THANK YOU!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...287946989.html
islandrose808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 13:36   #2

Re: Calling all Pearson owners!

Funny--I just submitted a post about that same boat, which I looked a this morning!

I'm interested in it, too, but if you want first stab at it, I'll stand aside. I think it's in very good condition and fairly priced, but am not sure such I'm ready for the responsibility of a boat that size.
Andy Karlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 13:52   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

In their day, they were pretty highly regarded as an offshore cruiser-racer. They are getting pretty old now, however, and will need a thorough examination before purchase.
The only quirk I can recall was the keel - IIRC the after part wasn't part of the lead casting, but only a fairing piece, which made it more subject to damage in a grounding.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 14:15   #4

I figured there would be at least one person on here who also looked at her, haha! We just sold our 26 footer and want to upgrade, but yes we know well the responsibility of owning a boat is like kinda like having a small child... $$$ I appreciate your gesture of abdication, but by all means go for her if she feels right. If not, and the stars align for us, hopefully you can come out and sail with us sometime!
Old 09-03-2021, 14:17   #5

If I end up buying her, I'll invite you, and vice versa.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:46   #6

Hi, just wanted to give you a heads up. Ask to take a look at the survey. There are a handful of things that need attention.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:08   #7

Yes, I had the seller send it to me. I tried to post some questions to the forum, including, "Marbles in the bilge?" but the post did not get posted. And termites? Despite the survey, I think it's still a potentially good value, conditional on the blisters and keel smile not being more than cosmetic issues. But I don't think it's the right boat for me right now, for reasons I won't bore you with. If I knew how to pm you I would, as I'm curious if you're going to pursue buying the boat...
Old 10-03-2021, 09:11   #8

Boat: Pearson 30

Good luck with your search! You might also try various Pearson owners groups if you haven’t already. I’ll find the links and post them ASAP.
My Pearson 30 has served me well for the last few years. Easy and fun to sail!
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:13   #9

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

2013 registration stickers, so she probably sat for awhile. Just something to consider. When I got my boat, she'd been sitting for 15 years!
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:41   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

There are several 10M owners on https://groups.google.com/g/pearson-boats
The 10M your looking at looks nice, good luck.
Check the keel, check for soft spots on deck, cockpit sole and cockpit locker lids. Check steel mast step for corrosion.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:57   #11

There's a smile developing on the keel which the surveyor said wasn't a structural concern and more cosmetic. Not sure if that should raise concern?
Old 10-03-2021, 09:59   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I cannot speak to the 10M, but had a 26 many years ago, and the 34-2 now. I do love the look of the 10M though. Pearson seems to have gotten most of the big stuff right. Probably has some issues after all these years, but a good solid boat when it was built, and I would think sails nicely too.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:01   #13

Via the survey: "A small crack was noticed at the forward end of the keel smile most noticeably to port." That's what makes me the most nervous.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:27   #14

Boat: Pearson 10M

This looks like a well cared for and upgraded example of this boat, I also have a 10M. They say well, reasonably fast for a boat of its weight and size. Would be a little concerned about the sails, The listing said something about classic? What does that mean, original?

The boat is also very solid, the hull is solid fiberglass and thick at the bottom. The stanchions and other hardware were originally mounted with gaskets, you could assume that they are all shot and if not already need to be rebedded. Same with the ports. As mentioned in a post earlier there is an issue with the mast step sitting in water, both the step and the base of the mast corrode due to dissimilar metals. There are a few fixes for this, most have rebuilt this step and cut off a little of the mast to get the assembly out of the water. This is a later model, a year newer than mine so it has the upgraded chain plates. With all the upgrades and assuming major issues The price is fair. Assume you may need new sails. Too bad, I'm on the East Coast but I'll sell you mine for half the price.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:01   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Dan Pfeiffer on the pearson-boats@googlegroups.com blog is a 10M owner and very knowlegeable. He has a website with a lot of information about 10Ms, P26s and Pearsons in general.

If the "crack" at the forward edge of the keel is between the lead and the fiberglass, that is called a "smile", common to some Pearsons and Catalinas. What is more important is to check for cracking at the aft end of the keel by the hull. When striking an immovable object with one's keel, the collision forces the keel to torque down in the front and up at the rear of the keel.

My P36-1 had both and upon investigating the rear cracks, it became clear that there were also voids in the layup. I had to remove all the damaged glass and voids, but my repair was much stronger than the original construction and I have had no problems in that area since my repair.

The "smile" can be rectified by tightening the keel bolts, if possible and fairing the crack. I have had good luck with West System G-Flex and collodial silica.

Pearsons are good boats, but have some manufacturing deficiencies that need and can be repaired.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, pearson