Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 15:34   #1

Paddle boards on Hunter

I have a couple 10-foot paddle boards and would like input on how and where to best to secure them aboard our Hunter 40 (1984) while sailing. Right now Im thinking of having brackets welded inside the lifelines/stanchions somewhere between the beam and bow. Any Hunter owners out there who can weigh in?
Simplicity2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:46   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Paddle boards on Hunter

Lots of people seem to put them there. In good weather it seems to work fine for them. The windage would worry me, however. If it got rough, they might catch waves and possibly take out the stanchions. The same issue comes up with people carrying jerrycans on deck. Is there room to put them on top of the cabin somehow? If you’re thinking of welding up brackets for the stanchions it would be almost as simple to make brackets for them on the cabin top. Laying flat they would offer less windage and not be creating leverage against the stanchions.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't know about you but our dock is infested with Catalina 27's. Almost everyone of them has at least one and often 2 or three paddle boards, Kayaks or some other water toy on racks attached to the lifelines. Believe you can buy these racks either online or at a surf/kayak shop. There's one of these C27's with a Sabot Dinghy on the foredeck, two person Kayak, and a couple of SUP's on Life Line racks along both sides. They go to Catalina regularly though have never seen them sail with all the water craft they have onboard at the dock. They have taken the Kayak and an SUP or 2, though. Wouldn't want to attempt an ocean passage with their water sports menagerie but it seems to work for local cruising
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 17:04   #4

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I carried two last year....(inflatable ones).....I have brackets that attach to the outside of the stantions....port and starboard....never lost them in a storm but they are alot of windage....enough to notice.....and in the bahamas the wind is always shifting every few days so I really didnt get the use that I wanted although the times we did use then when the water was calm we had alot of fun......
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 17:34   #5

Thank you all for your responses
Simplicity2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 17:37   #6

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

this is how I made my brackets....stainless steel and the swivel so they dont stick out when not in use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_112214.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	206723   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190103_085350.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	206726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_095343.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	206727  
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:59   #7

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We have 2 of the Magma Kayak holders and love them. We actually have 2 kayaks and two paddle boards. One kayak and one paddleboard go on each side of the boat. They are adjustable and removable this way. The kayaks/boards stay out of the way when at anchorage. We do bring the kayaks inside on deck and deflate the paddeboards and stow them
When on passage. Also they fold flat against the boat when at a marina.

Jason
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:23   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I have kayak brackets from Garhauer mounted outside of the stanchions. They fit two SUPs nicely.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 20:45   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 ft

Have a hunter passage 42. Have two kayaks we carry in racks out side the life lines aft on each side. No problem. Just have to be careful maneuvering during docking.
gkunkle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 21:03   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity2020 View Post
I have a couple 10-foot paddle boards and would like input on how and where to best to secure them aboard our Hunter 40 (1984) while sailing. Right now Im thinking of having brackets welded inside the lifelines/stanchions somewhere between the beam and bow. Any Hunter owners out there who can weigh in?
OK, it is very common these days to use commercially available brackets, such as Garhauer or Magma, on stanchions to carry paddleboards, kayaks, or surfboards, either midships or forward.

Docking and windage issues aside, you should consider the potential for damage if you happen to be sailing in heavy weather. This is a settled weather configuration at best.

Maybe you have no intention of ever sailing in heavy weather. Maybe you see all these other boats with paddleboards on the side like that. However, other boats have had significant damage, damage that is a risk to the boat and crew, when heavy seas come aboard and hit those boards.

For example our friends on the yacht Totem, a Stevens 47, carried their Kayak inside the lifelines and a large wave came over the bow and carried away the kayak and the stanchions.

I don't really expect you to accept this advice, by my advice to you is to set your boat up to be blue water capable, and that means able to withstand heavy sea conditions. When the going is tough you don't want to be on the foredeck struggling to cope with loose equipment. Get inflatable paddleboards and carry them in a safe manner. You'll be selling them in two years anyhow.
Old 13-01-2020, 21:20   #11

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I use the Magma stanchion mounted kayak racks. Our daughter's family come out with us annually and we put their inflatable SUP's in them. They do increase your windage and I would deflate the SUP's rather than carry them if I was expecting more than 15knots. We're coastal cruisers so are usually moving anchorages in more settled weather - not a big issue usually.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 03:50   #12

I also have 2 inflatable SUPs connected to outside of the stations using racks recently purchased 2 Suprax racks from surfstow. Very solid and we'll made but on any long or rough passage, we deflate the SUPs and store inside.
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 07:44   #13

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 ft

All good replies and info. We are SENIOR sailors on Red Pepper and stick to kayaks (to old for paddle boards)
Any one have any info or recommendations on inflatable kayaks
gkunkle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 09:24   #14

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkunkle999 View Post
All good replies and info. We are SENIOR sailors on Red Pepper and stick to kayaks (to old for paddle boards)
Any one have any info or recommendations on inflatable kayaks
We're seniors as well and carry a Sea Eagle 420x inflatable kayak when the kids aren't on board with their SUP's. The Magma holders were bought to carry the kayak originally. The 420 is in retrospect a bit big for our boat and I have thought of downsizing to a newer model. However it has room to carry the 2 of us and 2 smaller grandkids so that's a real plus. It can be carried from anchorage to anchorage in the racks if winds are light. Good durability - it has been scraped across oyster beds and barnacles without any noticeable damage.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter