Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 07:29   #1

Hunter 31 - Gulf of Mexico

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I’ll jump right into it!

For the first 35 years of my life I was fascinated with sailing, but never stepped on a sailboat until I decided to buy a Tanzer 22. Four years later I love it more than I ever expected. I’ve only sailed Lac St. Louis in Montreal and I want to buy a boat that I can sail both in the lake and then ultimately venture into trips around the Florida Keys and Roatan/Belize area. But... I have a lot to learn between now and then... A few questions:

1. Is there an online course or other method that one would recommend for learning the basic ins and outs of navigation? I’ve tried picking up a book but find it a little over whelming, I’m looking for more interactive learning...

2. Is it common for relatively inexperienced sailors to offer a hand on yacht delivery passages to gain some experience with longer voyages? What would be the recommended way to go about this?

3. Is the Hunter 31 a good selection for this type of sailing? Does it have the size and comfort for these waters while still being relatively ‘forgiving’ as I learn in the coming years?

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thank you,
Greg
LooseyMcGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Hunter 31 - Gulf of Mexico

Hi Greg, aka Loosey, and welcome to the nuthouse, I mean Cruisers Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseyMcGoose View Post

1. Is there an online course or other method that one would recommend for learning the basic ins and outs of navigation? I’ve tried picking up a book but find it a little over whelming, I’m looking for more interactive learning...

Certainly there must be online courses but buying a copy of Chapman Piloting and Seamanship would work well. Not only info about navigation but lots of other helpful boaty stuff. Good reference book you will keep and use for years.

2. Is it common for relatively inexperienced sailors to offer a hand on yacht delivery passages to gain some experience with longer voyages? What would be the recommended way to go about this?

Happens all the time. I do so frequently. Learning some basics will make you more attractive as a crew. Flexibility in your schedule would be a huge plus as moving boats around almost always entails delays due to weather, repairs, etc. Saying you can crew but only 1-12 August then you have to get back to work or else would limit your options for getting a berth on a longer trip.

3. Is the Hunter 31 a good selection for this type of sailing? Does it have the size and comfort for these waters while still being relatively ‘forgiving’ as I learn in the coming years?

Now you've gone and done it. You mentioned Hunter sailboats which can generate some strong opinions, pro and con. Don't know all the models or details on the 31 but I've sailed Hunters and think they are fine for 99% of all boating and cruising. If you want to smash into reefs or sail out into the middle of a hurricane maybe you want to buy something built like a tank with a mast and sails.

My only other comment, most Hunters (all new ones???) have a B&R rig IE there is no backstay and the spreader and upper shrouds are swept back to provide mast support aft. Works fine but is a little different than most boats and does limit easing the main too far when sailing downwind.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Re online nav classes, check out starpath.com. They have a nav class and many other good courses too.

I dont know where you are, but there are many ASA schools near the GOM...esp in Texas and FL. You could just sign up for a 105 Coastal Navigation class there.

Re 2:

Get exposure every way you can, post here and other forums, find local sailing clubs and get involved, hang out at marinas...

Also get some training so you have at least basic credentials...this will help w getting a ride. The more experience you build, the more opportunities will come your way. I have to turn many down great trips every year because I just cant fit them all in.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46   #4

Boat: Hunter 31 (1987)

Loosey, I've a H31 (1987)here in Panama City FL and find her perfect for the area's weather and shallow waters. Certainly large enough for 2-3 people but it gets crowded fast after that for any length of time. Skipmac is correct about the B&R rig although some of the older Hunters (like my 1987) do have a backstay since some did not believe in the B&R design when it first came out. It does impact how you sail down wind but not in a major way. Good luck!
KMCMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35   #5

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-train...ses-guide.aspx

All the Navigation courses can be done online on home computer and in your own time , very good and worldwide recognised
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:26   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Hunters are made for bays and protected waters. They are poor choices for open water. Just too lightly constructed and under rigged in standing rig for true blue water crossings.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
Hunters are made for bays and protected waters. They are poor choices for open water. Just too lightly constructed and under rigged in standing rig for true blue water crossings.

Interesting statement considering how many Hunters have crossed oceans and sailed "blue water".

First, there are a lot of different models from Hunter and some are quite sturdy and seaworthy, some not as much. Still I would sail any of them out of the bays and protected water.

Perhaps you aren't aware that a Hunter 54 broke the record set by the clipper ship Flying Cloud from NY to SF around the Horn. I think Cape Horn qualifies as true blue water by anyone's definition.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16   #8

Boat: Catalina 375

McGoose: Ah Pooey Louie. I used to have a Tanzer 22 and sailed on Lac St Louis. What is your sail number? I sailed #888 out of PCYC. The problem on St Louis will always be depth. When you go open water you want a deeper keel. When I traded up I bought a new Hunter 33 2006. Shallow wing keel. Furling Main. What more do you want right! I sailed on Lake Champlain with a view to bringing to Montreal. After 2 seasons, I learned a bit about the boat and found it WAY too tender for Lake Champlain. Speaking as an ex beer can racer on Louis! I could never see taking that boat on the Gulf. It would be difficult in a blow on Lake Ontario where I currently sail. The lesson I learned from that boat was what made me custom a new Catalina 375. The Catalina has larger mast and rigging than spec and full batten main. Also 610" keel. I have two anchors on pulpit. I sail in rough Lake Ontario up to 30 knots and also survived a squall in Gulf of St Lawrence at 40+ knots. For St Louis the Hunter 31 will be just fine however change your thoughts re going south to the Gulf with it. Change boats when you are ready. As for courses there are all the ASA courses you can do in warm climes and enjoy sailing at the same time. I would recommend Offshore Sailing School as I took my courses with them many years ago. Also took a sailing adventure with them last year to Windwards as I wanted to try a CAT. So get your courses under your belt before you buy anything. Try some sailing on Lake Ontario, 3 hours from you. There is a guy in Montreal who has more than one boat and he offers the Canadian courses, his name is Tony Pattison and I believe he lives in Dollard. I took my first VHF course with him years ago. Good Luck. I am often looking for crew on Lake Ontario so let me know if you want to try it next summer.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:32   #9

Boat: Island Packet 350

I’ll second Offshore Sailing School!
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21   #10

Boat: Freedom 32

I suggest starting with ASA 101 and progress at your own pace.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:00   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseyMcGoose View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post, so I’ll jump right into it!

For the first 35 years of my life I was fascinated with sailing, but never stepped on a sailboat until I decided to buy a Tanzer 22. Four years later I love it more than I ever expected. I’ve only sailed Lac St. Louis in Montreal and I want to buy a boat that I can sail both in the lake and then ultimately venture into trips around the Florida Keys and Roatan/Belize area. But... I have a lot to learn between now and then... A few questions:

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thank you,
Greg
I started my sailing on a Tanzer 22 fin keel model in California and sailed San Pablo and San Francisco Bays out of Vallejo...she was a good learning boat.

My career was in navigation (Air Force) so I obviously recommend a navigation course if you can. The basics are not that hard to understand and that is all you need to get started. Once you get your tow into the water (so to speak) your interest in learning more for your sailing dreams should spur you on. Just concentrate on the basics.

In the meantime buy yourself a good marine oriented handheld GPS, read the Owners Manual, and start using it when sailing. This will complement your navigation learning with practical experience. My rule was that the boat doesn't move until the GPS is programmed to force myself into learning how to use it...it worked for me.

As for selecting a boat for the voyage, that is a different subject that volumes have been written about and many disagree...you will have to arrive a your own judgment in the end. It is safe to say that there are boats designed for inland/protected waters, boats designed for coastal waters, and boats designed for offshore passage making. There is nothing that says a boat designed for one can't be used for the other...but does that make it a wise choice. It is a question of individual judgment and there is a lot to consider. I would say the Hunter 31 is a coastal cruiser but you should do your own research; there are many choices.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 14:29   #12

Take a look at the BriticanExperience.com, very knowledgeable and experienced, offer hands on and inner active experience.
jhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 16:14   #13

Boat: Riva 48

Regarding navigation, these days it is very easy as modern chartplotters do pretty much everything for you. You still need to be prudent about it but the best way is learn doing.

Regarding the Hunter 31, I have had one for four years and I believe this is one of the best boats ever made. She has her quirks but most owners are incredibly happy with the boat. It will go anywhere, it is light and fast (for its era), it has tons of space and the layout is perfect. It is also a very upgradable boat. My suggestion would be, take the layout of a modern small cruiser (say Hallberg Rassy 31) and compare it to the Hunter 31. Pretty much the same. Clearly it is not a HR31 but it is close.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 16:50   #14

Boat: Island Packet 29

I learned navigation by buying a couple of basic navigation tools and charts of different scale of "fun" locations like Hawaii then practice "navigating" around to different waypoints around the islands. Then just apply that to actual local sailing.

You could buy the maps needed to get you to Roatan and you can do a "virtual" run. Helps make it fun and learn.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, hunter, Mexico