Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 22:49   #16

Re: Baja Bash / Hunter 45 Center Cockpit

Pish Tosh, my Hunter 466 is a true blue water boat that's as good as any. We've gone 60,000 miles on four continents in 8 years. Also, we had the experience of sailing north at night past the Baha HaHa flotilla as they headed south. They were busy using Channel 16 to operate an inter-boat Karaoke session. First time for me.
Rogue Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 22:50   #17

Boat: Beneteau 373

I've done the bash twice as crew. Once on a Hunter 43. The ride was comfortable even in lumpy seas heading into the wind. Your best bet is to shoot for Mag bay first after leaving CSL. Not much in services but calm anchorage. Next go for Turtle bay where you can get fuel. Then on to Ensenada for checkout. Try to time arrivals during daylight. Easy peasy. No stress. Have fun.
oslokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 22:51   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Marinas on the Baja Pacific coast??? Surely you jest, Ken.

Apparently you have the same amount of experience in sailing a Hunter 45 UP the Baja coast as the rest of us... like NONE. But as I said upthread, if not constrained by time, and willingness to stop (there are some anchorages along the way) he should be fine, just as you say.

Jim
Sure, whatever you say Jim...

See post #17

And please try to quit your ongoing habit of following my posts and then commenting with snide remarks, I don’t do that to you. Thanks
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 23:47   #19

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
As to my specific question it is perfectly understandable if no one within the tight parameters I imposed has anything to offer. That is better than a rehash of the production boat vs. "true blue water" boat discussion. That has been well covered here and elsewhere.
Chances are that you have paid no fees to post this question, so ... beggars can't be choosers.
Ask a question and hope for an answer.

My guess?
There are others that have done that trip and could answer but have decided against it due to the way you formulated you "request with imposed parameters".
Man, I've seen everything now.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 00:14   #20
cruiser

To answer the OP’s questions:

1.Was there a big difference in comfort?

Answer: Yes absolutely, there’s a BIG difference in comfort between an Oyster and a Hunter. Does it even matter doing what you plan to do? Not really, if you plan your passage well regarding the weather.

2.Was the Hunter worse for the wear versus the "true blue water boat"?

Answer: Again, it would depend on the weather. If the northern leg is done carefully and mindful of the weather... the Hunter should fair well and be no worse for wear. I personally would plan to motor as much as possible during calm seas rather than bashing to windward trying to do it in one shot. Take your time and make sure everything in the saloon is secured because things on our Hunter tended to get tossed around.

3.Was the crew on the Hunter worse for the wear than the true " blue water boat".

Answer: If the passage is planned well and you’re not in a hurry or sailing to a set schedule, the crew should find the passage enjoyable on the Hunter 450. I’d be looking to do the same on an Oyster, easy, no hurry and motoring during the calm with no unnecessary bashing to windward if avoidable. If windy weather and larger swells are unavoidable, the Oyster crew would be more comfortable.

Note: If I still had a Hunter 450 located in Southern California, I would have no hesitation doing the voyage the OP plans on doing with the Hunter. Of course I need to qualify my answer by mentioning that I now have ten years of cruising experience, watching the weather and selecting appropriate anchorages under my belt. The OP hasn’t mentioned his.

I sincerely hope you find my posts on this subject more helpful than some of the other more derogatory posts.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-08-2019, 00:58   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Sure, whatever you say Jim...

See post #17
Post 17 refers to anchorages, of which there are several. It does not mention the marinas that you were advising visiting whilst harbour hopping up the Baja peninsula.

And Ken, if you don't want dissenting posts directed at yours, do your research and reading more carefully. That would indeed reduce the posts that you don't like.

Jim
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Post 17 refers to anchorages, of which there are several. It does not mention the marinas that you were advising visiting whilst harbour hopping up the Baja peninsula.

And Ken, if you don't want dissenting posts directed at yours, do your research and reading more carefully. That would indeed reduce the posts that you don't like.

Jim
Please try to follow your own advice, things have apparently changed since you last looked at the Baja coast. We stayed at a cruise ship town which included a new marina on our way down to Cabo a few years ago, and if I’m not mistaken... the Ensenada marina is still open.

With a little research, I’m sure the OP will find an adequite number of places to stay and anchor.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:52   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Well, no one fulfills the silly "rules" in the OP -- Ken has sailed that coast in a Hunter but has not done it "multiple times in a true blue water boat" . Nor does it seem has he ever done the "Bash" at all, on anything.

Neverthess and despite himself, the OP has gotten good advice. Ken's Post #20 pretty much nails it. Just about any sailing trip is doable in pretty much any boat if the boat is in good condition and you pick your weather carefully. That's not to say that they are all equally comfortable But given time to pick weather windows, that trip is no problem in a boat like an H45.

Here is more good advice: https://www.passagemaker.com/destinations/the-baja-bash

and:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/the-baja-bash

I've sailed that coast myself (in a Swan 90), plus up the other side of Baja. It's no big deal and far less challenging than many other places I've sailed. I've sailed a lot of tough miles in boats similar to the H45. Might not be the preferred choice of tool for that job, but absolutely doable. Just be sure that you've checked the rig and steering system carefully and that everything is in good condition.

But WHY would you want to do that every year? Most people just leave their boats down there. The sailing is sure a lot better down there, than it is in SoCal.

I've done something similar for five years (excluding last year) -- sailed 1500 miles from the South Coast of England across the North Sea to the Northeastern end of the Baltic, then back 1500 miles against the wind in the fall (for comparison, Cabo to L.A. is about 840 miles). But I had a specific reason to do that -- the Baltic freezes in the winter and my boat is not an icebreaker. If I lived in L.A., I would certainly leave my boat in Baja and forget about bringing it back.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Please try to follow your own advice, things have apparently changed since you last looked at the Baja coast. We stayed at a cruise ship town which included a new marina on our way down to Cabo a few years ago, and if I’m not mistaken... the Ensenada marina is still open.

With a little research, I’m sure the OP will find an adequite number of places to stay and anchor.

Interesting! Could you please tell me where these new marinas are between Ensenada and Cabo? I’d sure like to know!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:27   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Interesting! Could you please tell me where these new marinas are between Ensenada and Cabo? I’d sure like to know!

I don't know about marinas, but there are decent stopping places between Ensenada and Cabos -- Bahia Magdalena, Bahia Tortugas, with nearly perfect shelter, and many more with shelter from the prevailing NWer. It's only 700 miles or something to Ensenada. Come on, people -- this is not bloody Cape Horn, or the North Sea.

You only need a 1 1/2 day weather window max between each of the best stopping places -- Cabos San Lucas- Mag Bay 160 miles; Mag Bay - Bahia Tortugas 245 miles; Bahia Tortugas-Ensenada 275 miles. If Tortugas-Ensenada is too far for you, there is a good place in between those, Cabo San Quintin. Or just do it one go in 4 or 5 days far offshore if the weather window serves. If you get a calm, just motor. In the right season and with a decent amount of time for waiting, this is not such a huge challenge.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, no one fulfills the silly "rules" in the OP -- Ken has sailed that coast in a Hunter but has not done it "multiple times in a true blue water boat" . Nor does it seem has he ever done the "Bash" at all, on anything.

Neverthess and despite himself, the OP has gotten good advice. Ken's Post #20 pretty much nails it. Just about any sailing trip is doable in pretty much any boat if the boat is in good condition and you pick your weather carefully. That's not to say that they are all equally comfortable But given time to pick weather windows, that trip is no problem in a boat like an H45.

Here is more good advice: https://www.passagemaker.com/destinations/the-baja-bash

and:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/the-baja-bash

I've sailed that coast myself (in a Swan 90), plus up the other side of Baja. It's no big deal and far less challenging than many other places I've sailed. I've sailed a lot of tough miles in boats similar to the H45. Might not be the preferred choice of tool for that job, but absolutely doable. Just be sure that you've checked the rig and steering system carefully and that everything is in good condition.

But WHY would you want to do that every year? Most people just leave their boats down there. The sailing is sure a lot better down there, than it is in SoCal.

I've done something similar for five years (excluding last year) -- sailed 1500 miles from the South Coast of England across the North Sea to the Northeastern end of the Baltic, then back 1500 miles against the wind in the fall (for comparison, Cabo to L.A. is about 840 miles). But I had a specific reason to do that -- the Baltic freezes in the winter and my boat is not an icebreaker. If I lived in L.A., I would certainly leave my boat in Baja and forget about bringing it back.
I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback and enjoy the flow. A number of the posts have been very helpful. Thanks

The "silly rules" are to get at what I am trying to determine. No one has to answer and anyone can post what they want as they feel the need. If some one wants to post to try and score points, respond to perceived slights or exhibit their superiority it is Ok with me. Just an observation this forum tends to have a lot of all that. I am tempted but I am not going to take the bait ever again and encourage more negativity by doing the "tit for tat" routine.

I enjoy what sailing in the Sea of Cortez has to offer except it gets too toasty in the summer. The reason for the annual round trip, is my wife and I live at 7000 ft elevation not far from Antigua, Guatemala. Mexico and SoCal are very accessible. We are totally spoiled. It never goes below 40 F and never above 75 F where we live. We don't have heating or air con in our house. The house is always completely open and we pretty much live outdoors. Even in the wetter season we have sun everyday and the rains usually come at night.

In SoCal air con or heat is not needed to be comfortable while sailing year around and the same while sailing in the Sea of Cortez in winter. I prefer not to have a generator or air con or diesel heater on my boat. More simple means more sailing and less time at the dock doing repairs. A negative of the Sea of Cortez and SoCal there are periods without much wind. To supplement that I do a couple of bare boat a charters a year with friends where there are trade winds. Next bare boat charter is in January on a Pogo 36 for two weeks, one way, from Le Marin, Martinique to Point e Pitre, Guadeloupe. My cousin and I did a similar charter this past January from Le Marin on a Pogo 30. The last bareboat charter with friends is we circumnavigated Mallorca.

My wife does not like to sail much and she likes to be in LA/SoCal. So I want a boat that my wife will want to stay on as much as possible and hopefully will then sail with me more. I enjoy the challenge and nature available along the way of doing the trip north from the Sea of Cortez to SoCal.

Sailing and exploring the west coast of North America(as is the plan), has it's own set of challenges, positives and negatives just like sailing anywhere else. To each his own! That is what works best for us.

La Paz, San Carlos Nuevo Guyamas, San Fran and LA are very accessible to us. We can get to all four in about the same amount of time as driving to Rio Dulce, Guatemala(which is a gem for a base), with less hassle.

The drive to Rio Dulce from Guatemala City or Antigua without a doubt is more dangerous than doing the Baja Bash. We would never consider living anywhere other than exactly where we live in Guatemala, but it is great fun to spend some time in the First World.

We likely will keep the boat in Channel islands Harbor(Oxnard, Ca) as the SoCal base which has the best access to Channel Islands National Park(see video link below). The marina we will use has guest privileges at a marina in Marina Del Rey which is a day sail from Channel Islands Harbor.

https://www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm

Thanks for the help / info everyone and try and remember the David Lee Roth quotation before posting a "tit for tat":

"Money can't buy happiness, but with money you can buy a yacht and pull up right along side."
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:13   #27

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

It saddens me to see grown men bickering like little girls, especially on a site dedicated to the passion and pleasure of sailing. To the original poster I would simply say that if you plan on enjoying the sea of Cortez over multiple winters, there are many secure Ports where you can simply leave your boat on the hard during the scorching summers and we launch in the winter. Thus saving yourself and your boat a lot of wear and tear, not to mention expense. Enjoy the SOC, it is truly the world aquarium. Cheers
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:47   #28

Boat: Camano 31, Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
PLEASE ONLY COMMENT IF YOU HAVE THE ACTUAL EXPERIENCE DESCRIBED.

I would like to know from some one, if they care comments, that has done the Baja Bash multiple times in 45ish ft vessels that are considered "true blue water boats" and at least once in a Hunter 45 Center Cockpit.

If yes, can you describe the difference in the experience between a Hunter 45 Center Cockpit and the other vessels you did the Baja Bash on?

There is a bias against Hunter's in general and especially on this website versus boats that are considered "true blue water" boats that cost 2 to 3 times what a comparable size Hunter costs.

Do you think you were taking more risk going in Hunter 45 center cockpit versus than in the "true blue water boat" comparable size assuming both boats are well maintained and of similar age, equal competent crews. etc.

Was there a big difference in comfort?

Was the Hunter worse for the wear versus the "true blue water boat"?

Was the crew on the Hunter worse for the wear than the true " blue water boat".

I do not meet all of your restrictions, but have sailed from Panama up to the Sea of Cortez in a 1995Hunter 42. It was comfortable, but we did not sail if the winds were over about 15-20 knots. The Pacific swells make many of the anchorages uncomfortable, but that would be true for any boat. We carried 70 gallons of fuel and had no problems even though we did motor frequently. Although not a blue water boat we also sailed to Bermuda from Norfolk and have bashed into several passages with double reefed main and only an inner forestay sail up front. However, would not want to be out in a gale in any of the boats I have sailed.
sailduggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:10   #29

If you're going to do this yearly, you should find out about this:

There was a nifty article in CW a few years ago called the Baja Dash. Harbor hopping up the coast. Send me a pm and I'll get it to you, I saved it as a PDF, too big to post here unfortunately.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:16   #30

Boat: Camano 41

My experience tells me there are 2 bashes. 1 is up the Sea of Cortez, the other is the return trip up the west coast of the Baja. When the northers blow out of the Sea of Cortez, you will probably be harbour bound somewhere. We saw many Hunters in Cabo and La Paz, Maple Leafs, all manner of craft that many would say shouldn't be there. Perceptions become beliefs, and beliefs become truths. Someone elses experience may not ultimately be your truth, so tell us how you made out.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, center cockpit, cockpit, hunter