Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 05:56   #1

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
castaway cay bahamas

has anyone anchored at or around castaway cay?....are you alowed to go onto the island when theres no crusie ships?
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:31   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: castaway cay bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
has anyone anchored at or around castaway cay?....are you alowed to go onto the island when theres no crusie ships?
The REAL name for this island on all my charts, and used even by the Disney Ships on AIS destination, is "Gorda Cay." I guess Fat Woman Cay just didn't play with the marketing department. That name is about the only "real" thing about the island...

We have frequently anchored near Sandy Point (6NM to the SE) while waiting for weather, but really have never had the interest in visiting a ersatz Disney island, even if it was allowed. On all the cruising guides I have it is listed as visitation by "Invitation Only."

On SOME of the cruise ship landing spots if there is not a ship in port you can hail the caretakers and request permission to come ashore, but don't be surprised if the answer is "No". They really aren't set up to allow individual visitors to wander around. But if for some reason you really want to go, it's worth a try.

Do not go ashore without asking--and receiving--permission.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

If the cruise ship business doesn't pick back up for a while, maybe some of the cruise lines will think about setting up a transient marina on their private islands. I know, it's not everyone's idea of a good time, but it might be an interesting diversion.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:19   #4

The island is privately, and entirely, owned by the Disney Corporation. Step foot ashore without permission, and you are trespassing. As mentioned already, you can ask for permission, but I would expect it to be denied.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The island is privately, and entirely, owned by the Disney Corporation. Step foot ashore without permission, and you are trespassing. As mentioned already, you can ask for permission, but I would expect it to be denied.
Start singing ‘Mickey Mouse Clubhouse’ theme song on the vhf. They’ll let you in if they think it’s the bosses boat.

https://youtu.be/IMEwzzyBP7w
ScottWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 23:37   #6

The island is privately, and entirely, owned by the Disney Corporation
Old 14-05-2020, 06:01   #7

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I have hung out at little san salvador before....also owned by a crusie company they allow you to come to shore when no ships are in port when you ask permision, very nice and helpful people on shore...
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas