Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 17:52   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)
Power boating in Bahamas

Looking to buy an express cruiser to tour Bahamas for a couple months after I retire in 5 yrs, then off and on. What size do y’all recommend. Thanks
Old 06-04-2020, 17:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Power boating in Bahamas

Depends on what your comfortable with, however if your actually going to do much moving around I wouldn’t go the Express Cruiser route, they usually sit, or if people actually cruise them, they do so at around 6 to 8 kts, trawler speed, because fuel consumption is insane on plane. Often they don’t have good steerage at low speeds and in any kind of sea they can roll excessively.
They are great for say zipping around Tampa Bay on weekends though.
Bahamian fuel it seems is always around $5 a gl, so if your burning 30 GPH, that’s $150 an hour in fuel.
Me, I’d want 40’ or close to it anyway.
But then I’d want a trawler too.
Old 06-04-2020, 18:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Depends on what your comfortable with, however if your actually going to do much moving around I wouldn’t go the Express Cruiser route, they usually sit, or if people actually cruise them, they do so at around 6 to 8 kts, trawler speed, because fuel consumption is insane on plane. Often they don’t have good steerage at low speeds and in any kind of sea they can roll excessively.
They are great for say zipping around Tampa Bay on weekends though.
Bahamian fuel it seems is always around $5 a gl, so if your burning 30 GPH, that’s $150 an hour in fuel.
Me, I’d want 40’ or close to it anyway.
But then I’d want a trawler too.

We have a good size piece of property whereas I was thinking of getting the biggest boat I can trailer and store it under my pole barn plugged into power. Kinda like a camper on the water. Only boat that comes to mind is the express but gas will kill us I guess. I got 5 yrs to fig it out. Lol
Old 06-04-2020, 18:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuoyCall View Post
We have a good size piece of property whereas I was thinking of getting the biggest boat I can trailer and store it under my pole barn plugged into power. Kinda like a camper on the water. Only boat that comes to mind is the express but gas will kill us I guess. I got 5 yrs to fig it out. Lol

Can’t sail a sailboat that’s for sure
Old 06-04-2020, 19:15   #5

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

when are the boarders going to open....
Old 07-04-2020, 05:18   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you plan to go back and forth somewhat often, I'd tend towards something more trawler like, but not a slow trawler. Being able to power up and make the crossing in half a day is nice, then you can slow down and save some fuel while you're there.

I'm not a big fan of express cruisers for a couple of reasons. As mentioned, most don't handle great at low speeds, as they weren't really built to go that slow. And they also don't have a lot of usable living space relative to their size, plus the helm layouts on many aren't great for running in anything less than good weather. Fuel and water capacity can be limiting on some of them as well.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BuoyCall.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:10   #8

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Fly over, rent a house for a month. Then rent a boat by the week or day, or better yet hire a local captain to take you out fishing/diving. Will save you thousands of dollars in fuel running your own vessel. That approach takes away all the anxiety of your own vessel breaking down and ruining your holiday, and puts money into the pockets of the local tourism industry instead of the global fossil fuel industry.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:23   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In my opinion anything small enough to trailer isn’t big enough to stay on for any real length of time. It just doesn’t have the storage or tankage etc, others will of course have a different opinion, you see small boats over here, but they are very few and far between, I’ve actually only seen one or two with propel on them, most I’ve seen on a mooring with no one aboard.
Getting from one end of the Bahamas to the other at a leisurely pace takes weeks, then you most likely come back and go home, even if your doing a lot of traveling, your looking at at least a month, but most stay longer
Old 07-04-2020, 09:44   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Flyingfin has nailed it. Fly over , rent a house, rent a boat and Captain till you are comfortable, then just the boat. You can do this for years for what you would tie up in the boat. An express is a fuel gobbler with unprotected running gear. We don’t have any towing assist companies over here, so WHEN, not if, you kiss the bottom you better someone is near by that is willing and able to help. Besides after Dorian we need all the tourist dollars we can get.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuoyCall View Post
Can’t sail a sailboat that’s for sure
Well you do have 5 years to learn how to...

I do like bobbing along quietly under sail, going slow yes, but getting there, albeit eventually.

And if I do have to start the iron head-sail, knowing that it will only consume 2-3 litres of diesel an hour (that is about 1/2 - 3/4 a gallon an hour for those not into metric measures yet)..

I can remember a sailing trip from the Solent to the Channel Islands (the ones off France not off the West Coast of the USA) where we were being continually overtaken by motor cruisers flying across.

When we eventually came into harbour to tie-up most of the motor yachts that has screamed past us were still in a massive queue for the fuel berth to get enough juice to get home again at the end of the weekend...
Old 07-04-2020, 12:37   #12

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I have owned a 58' Hatteras Cockpit Motoryacht since 2002 and my favorite trips are to the Bahamas.
1. Forget about the Express Cruiser for the reasons mentioned and many more. I owned a 36' Regal Express cruiser for 14 years and traveled all over the Cheaspeake Bay so I know what I am talking about.

2. I think Flying Fin might have the best idea. But don't wait 5 years. There are a hundred places to go for a week in a hotel room. Rent a boat or go out with a captain for diving, fishing, cruising or what ever. Maybe Treasure Island which has a magnificent Beach and a marina with boats to rent or hire a captain, Maybe Harbour Island might be another good possibility. After doing this in the next couple of years and walking the marina docks and talking to boat owners you might have a better idea.

3. I think a 40 or so foot trawler would be the best option. My boat is expensive to own and operate. I generally run 9 to 10 knots which is the most fuel efficent way to go. Besides, I enjoy the trip, not necessary sitting at the dock. I enjoy anchoring out the most and having a generator.

4. You already have a plan which is the most important thing of all. Create a new plan and work your plan. This forum has a wealth of knowledge. Use it.
Old 07-04-2020, 14:09   #13

Check out a Ranger Tug or Cutwater, cruise at 6-8 it’s or scream at 24-26 it’s, depending on model and power options. They are trainable. I’ve done almost 26000 miles behind my truck. Several times to the Bahamas, this year to Georgetown, Exuma. I park it in my condo warehouse in FL when not using it.
Old 07-04-2020, 14:43   #14

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I have an express cruiser and am often at 8kts in the Bahamas to save fuel. I get passed by fast trawlers going 10 kts while they burn less fuel.

My props are fully exposed and cause much caution in shallow water. The hull is a bathtub and bounces like a cork to waves. It also horses extremely bad when anchored, causing the best anchors to pull out. (Trawlers have protected props and a keel for heading stability. Myengines are a high performance design (high hp to cylinder per displacement); I've replaced them both.

However, I love going 23 kts some times. I can go to the Bahamas in August and Sept, knowing I can run back to FL.

My advice is to get a fast trawler. My favorite is the Navigator. If you may live on it, get a 50footer.
Old 07-04-2020, 16:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
I have an express cruiser and am often at 8kts in the Bahamas to save fuel. I get passed by fast trawlers going 10 kts while they burn less fuel.

My props are fully exposed and cause much caution in shallow water. The hull is a bathtub and bounces like a cork to waves. It also horses extremely bad when anchored, causing the best anchors to pull out. (Trawlers have protected props and a keel for heading stability. Myengines are a high performance design (high hp to cylinder per displacement); I've replaced them both.

However, I love going 23 kts some times. I can go to the Bahamas in August and Sept, knowing I can run back to FL.

My advice is to get a fast trawler. My favorite is the Navigator. If you may live on it, get a 50footer.
Protected running gear is my biggest reason for owning a full keel full displacement single engine trawler. Many trawlers talk about skegs but they are not sufficient.

If I wanted a turn of speed for the Bahamas I'd look at some of the small sport fishers such as the Albin tournament express boats. Bit more glamping than a full size trawler, but efficient and fairly fast. Some of the Mainship Pilots are also similar. Some have protected props and can do 15 kts. Probably at 20 gph which isn't bad.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, boat, boating, power boat