Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Thoughts on Cooking and Heating

I decided long ago to get rid of propane on my next boat. The plan has been to use an electrical induction cooktop and electrical convection oven.

Now I'm starting to think that for a boat to be used mostly in cold climates, there is a lot to like about the old Alaska fishing boat style diesel stoves, like this one:

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/a...el-cook-stove/

Probably don't want to use such a thing in hot weather, but how about combining one of these with a couple of induction eyes?

The diesel stove would run continuously in cold weather, and heat could be taken out of it via a coil to put into the main hydronic system for low-level cabin heat in other parts of the boat, and domestic hot water. Might be enough heat by itself for many situations; then boost the output with the Eberspacher hydronic heater when needed.

In summer on the rare (at these latitudes) hot days, we would just shut it down and use the electric eyes.

Would take somewhat more space in the galley, but covers could be made to allow whichever cooktop is not being used, to be used as counter space.

What's not to like about this approach? Would be hard to retrofit to an existing boat because of the stack, but no problem for a custom build.

The whole scheme reminds me of the old-fashioned Argus stoves common in English country houses -- which run continuously in cool weather for heat, with the cooking eyes covered and insulated when no cooking is going on. They are great, and loved by their owners in my experience.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:44   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Thoughts on Cooking and Heating

Have used Dickenson will use again when I have a boat that needs it, pretty much every BC fishing boat has one, I used one for heat and hot water on a 36 ft steel ketch, would work great for you......

The warm weather cooker was normally a 2 burner propane stove that sat on the oil cooker when it was off......... With the advances in electric apps a 2 burner induction inset in a counter so it can have a cutting board over it when not in use would work......

If you set one up design a 3-4 gal day tank you can easily fill so the stove has gravity feed, then you only need a little pump to fill the tank, no pump to run the stove........I also like a sight glass on the day tank.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 21:35   #3

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Re: Thoughts on Cooking and Heating

Check out sailing Emerald steel on youtube. A home built steel gaff rigged boat that they have been sailing the world on for a long time. They have the dickinson diesel stove aboard as their main stove and put in a small propane hob for the hotter times.
If I lived in cooler wetter climates I would go with the Dickerson as well.
My plan is to go with induction hobs and a Microwave convection oven off a generator as I don't like propane on my boat either.

Tags
cooking, heating