Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 13:40   #1

Boat: Alberg 35
San Diego Sailors

I live on the east coast and sail on the Chesapeake out of Baltimore on a 50 year old Alberg 35 sloop with a full keel. I'm 66 and been sailing since I started on a Sunfish in 1964. This summer I', hoping to go to a conference in San Diego, June 23-26, perhaps staying for an extra day or so.

I've never been out that way but I know it's a sailing capital. Are there places to rent a boat for an afternoon? Doesn't have to be big, just something to plunk around on. It would be fun to think I had at least had a few hours on Pacific Ocean water...never done that.

Anything else that would interest a sailor? I really know nothing about the area or the possibilities. I'm staying at the Marriot at 8757 Rio San Diego, so I think it's close to something called "North Harbor."

Thanks for any info.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 14:08   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: San Diego Sailors

Check out these

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...content_filter
This is a crew board for racing.

There are some shared charters for $30 a person on meetup.com usually leaving from shelter island. Don't book anything in the morning. The westerlies usually kick in from noon to four pm.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 19:21   #3

Boat: Cascade 36

https://seaforthboatrental.com/sailboat-rentals/

If you rent form Mission bay it will take around 30-45 minutes to get out to the ocean. But there is a some room to play around with in the area south of the Mission Bay Dr Bridge.

If you rent from Harbor Island it would be about an hour to the ocean. Plenty of space to play around for an afternoon in the North San Diego Bay area should you choose not to go out.

If you rent from Coronado it would be closer to a 2+ hour ride to the Ocean.

Listed below are some other options that are not charter but sailing tour type of stuff.

https://sdmaritime.org/visit/on-the-water-adventures/
Here's a few other options...tall ship, older ship, historical type of stuff. Some of these go out to whale watch, some just go out and "tour" the north bay area.

San Diego Boat Charters | America’s Cup Sailing Vessels
These guys just stay in the bay and "take it easy" while still doing laps around me.

You should also feel free to drop me a PM....I have been known to offer up a day sail every now and then if schedule allows.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 21:22   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Have a look at the February Latitude 38 (download for free from their web site) IIrC there is a longish article about the joys of sailing in SD.

Jim

Tags
sail, san diego