Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 12:07   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just to be clear for the international members, the old 121.5 EPIRB be illegal in the USA and perhaps some other countries. Technically they will not be illegal in Australia although they will be next to useless and you will still need to have a 406 beacon.

I don't understand: Australia is a member of the ITU and they are a signatory and member nation to Cospas-SARSAT treaty/agreement. So, it would seem technically they will be illegal in Australia after 090209. Or maybe licensing the older EPIRB would be illegal, Anyways, all that is splitting hairs -- since Australia's Maritime Safety Authority is clear that no one is gonna be listening in a few weeks.

Australian 406 MHz Distress Beacon Information
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 00:21   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Smile More split ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
I don't understand: Australia is a member of the ITU and they are a signatory and member nation to Cospas-SARSAT treaty/agreement. So, it would seem technically they will be illegal in Australia after 090209. Or maybe licensing the older EPIRB would be illegal, Anyways, all that is splitting hairs -- since Australia's Maritime Safety Authority is clear that no one is gonna be listening in a few weeks.

Australian 406 MHz Distress Beacon Information
Let us split some more hairs:

Part of the problem with old 121.5 beacons is that plenty of people will be listening - 121.5MHz remains a valid air band distress frequeny (for voice or beacon). Should ANY beacon be activated, any nearby (say 100 nm) overflying aircraft listening on 121.5 will receive the signal. They will report it to ATC who will pass it on to the national RCC. If there is no associated concurrent 406 transmission, the RCC is left making a tough decision of whether to instigate a search or not.

The only thing being turned off at midnight GMT 31 Jan 2009 is the 121.5 satellite receivers.

The actual use of spectrum and transmitting devices are governed by the laws of each nation rather than the ITU.

I am assuming that it is the owernship and/or use of an old 121.5 beacon is what will become illegal in the USA rather than use of the 121.5 frequency as an air band distress channel.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 20:37   #18
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
Those black pfds they were wearing are probably not commercially available. They may be the combo pfd, bullet proof vest that was being worked on when I retired in 2004. Plus they have all kinds of pockets for gear.

False alarms are a big problem and cost you and me the taxpayer about $20,000 every time the USCG has to respond to one (that's 2004 dollars, probably a lot more now)

Tags
epirb, willard