Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 20:28   #1

Buying a boat to keep in Spain (BCN)

Hi all,

I've had a lengthy scan of the forum and picked up lots of info, so thanks to all for your general input.

I thought it was probably time to ask the questions specific to my situation.

I am looking to buy my first boat in 2020. I am a UK resident, but spend as much time as possible in Barcelona. The boat would be kept there, and I would want to sail it to Ibiza throughout the year.

I am wondering what flag it would be most beneficial to have in that situation. I have an apartment in BCN, but I do not spend more than 6 months of the year there currently, and hence I believe I could have a boat that is not spanish flagged? Is a UK flagged boat the best option given Brexit uncertainty, and my residential status? Or is there a benefit to having a Gibralter flagged boat? I believe if it is spanish flagged then I will have to pass tests in spanish on top of the ICC and day skipper I currently have. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

I also just want to double check whether I can have a UK flagged boat in BCN year round, as long as I don't live on it?

Additional info - Im looking to spend about 40k euros on the boat. I don't envisage living on it full time. I'm a novice sailor ( 3 weeks experience, including a long voyage from Indonesia to Thailand, skippering overnight) so I will be looking to keep things as simple as possible.
colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 16:20   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Buying a boat to keep in Spain (BCN)

Seem to recall seeing somewhere that if the boat’s in Spain and you have domicile there, it needs to be registered there too. This apparently involved a Frenchman, but he seems to have gotten fined, or had other major problems. May be different if you’re only there 6 months per year, but worth investigating and being sure before you buy anything.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Spain