Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 19:45   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Morgan OI 41 flywheel replacement in Sarasota

Hi all:

I just bought a 73 Morgan 41 with a Perkins 4-108. To move it from owners dock to Sarasota, I put in a new $100 starter from Amazon. It worked initially, then after 5 or 6 starts and running for 2 hrs during the move, I heard a wretched noise and engine wouldn't restart. I sailed it on to Sarasota but had to be towed into a mooring. Does anyone know a good diesel mechanic in the area? My understanding is that engine doesn't have to be pulled but loosened and tilted instead. I guess I'll replace the old alternator, thermostat, belt, and water pump while i do the flywheel. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 20:20   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
Re: Morgan OI 41 flywheel replacement in Sarasota

Maybe what ruined the flywheel was that new starter you just bought!.
Make sure the teeth matched each other.
Also, if the shaft on the starter jams sticking into the gears while in the meshing position, even if the teeth match, when the engine overpowers the engaged starter, the gear teeth also grind away and would make the sound you heard.
So, test the 'new', chewed up starter at any auto parts store to make sure the solenoid spring can retract the teethed shaft and check the shaft itself in the engaging position for any pitting or scratches or marks that make it bind in the engaging position and not retracting away from the spinning flywheel.
May have to 'speak' with whoever sent you or manufactured the new starter. This should not have happened if the gear teeth matched properly. Find the cause before doing the repairs planned.
Guess you may be able to tilt the whole engine forward as you mentioned after removing the oil filter and lines and transmission and damper plate and cover and engine mounts and.......if you have the room back there.
this might be a good time to replace the damper plate and the rear seal and clean and degrease things around and scrape and spray paint a little blue. Rustoleum paint is close enough colorwise. Refer to the manual. Good engine, have good luck with it.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 20:27   #3

Thanks for the input. We suspected the sound we heard was from the starter not disengaging and damaging the flywheel. The starter is off now and it and the flywheel look pretty chewed up. It's gonna be a steep learning curve but like the boat when sailing.
Old 17-01-2017, 08:41   #4

Wow, got an estimate from mobile mechanic today for flywheel replacement. $3k just for labor. He said it would be about same cost to put in new Yanmar engine. Anybody have thoughts on Yanmar replacement?
Old 17-01-2017, 13:11   #5

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Wow, got an estimate from mobile mechanic today for flywheel replacement. $3k just for labor. He said it would be about same cost to put in new Yanmar engine. Anybody have thoughts on Yanmar replacement?

Yanmar is definitely the way to go. The distributors even offer training for boat owners in maintenance
Old 17-01-2017, 13:36   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Morgan OI 41 flywheel replacement in Sarasota

Yanmar is fine, but your going to replace an engine because of a bad flywheel?
Plus that 3K is just labor to replace, price the new engine, it is usually a lot more to it than pulling one out and slipping in another, a lot more $$$, lots of things have to be changed, unlikely motor mounts line up, maybe prop shaft, prop, etc. etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, morgan, sarasota, wheel