Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 22:49   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000
Hello from Texas

I've been lurking on this forum forever, finally joined back in 2011, and decided its time I actually post something now that it is 2018.

Casting off the dock lines in November to start cruising with my wife and two sons, ages 10 and 12. We are very excited to live the cruising life full time!
SV Unwritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 23:16   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Hello from Texas

So what are your plans? Will you be cruising full time? As you prepare your boat for cruising, don’t be afraid to ask advice. There are a lot of experienced cruisers on this site, and many of us have cruised with families.

If your wife has not yet found it, there is another website “Women WhoSail”. Most of the Admirals enjoy this site and find it useful.

Cheers!

Steve

PS. We left Seabrook Marina in 2015.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 23:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
So what are your plans? Will you be cruising full time? As you prepare your boat for cruising, don’t be afraid to ask advice. There are a lot of experienced cruisers on this site, and many of us have cruised with families.

If your wife has not yet found it, there is another website “Women WhoSail”. Most of the Admirals enjoy this site and find it useful.

Cheers!

Steve

PS. We left Seabrook Marina in 2015.

We are planning on cruising full time. We are going to ease around to Florida then the Bahamas, at first. If everyone still likes cruising we will just keep going.

She is a member of “Women Who Sail” she loves the group.

We are in Watergate Marina. It’s great to hear from a local who is out there now!
Old 31-07-2018, 02:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Unwritten.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 12:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Unwritten.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 31-07-2018, 12:58   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Unwritten View Post
We are planning on cruising full time. We are going to ease around to Florida then the Bahamas, at first. If everyone still likes cruising we will just keep going.

She is a member of “Women Who Sail” she loves the group.

We are in Watergate Marina. It’s great to hear from a local who is out there now!

Hello neighbor! We’re in watergate as well and preparing to head out again in a year.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 13:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Hello neighbor! We’re in watergate as well and preparing to head out again in a year.

Awesome. I hope to see you around the docks!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here’s another Howdy from Texas!

Bon Voyage on your upcoming cruising life!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44   #9

Hello from another mostly lurker! I fell like yall are about a decade ahead of me but I'm getting started. Currently finishing the climb out of a debt hole, about to move from access to someone else's Capri 22 (the best kind of boat, right) to buying my own 80s-early 90's 30-35 cruiser to gain the experience of larger boat systems and start getting offshore experience.

Current loose plan (because we all know things will change) is to start our family, use the boat I'm currently working to buy to make sure we like the cruising lifestyle, making short trips to first Corpus/Port Arthur/Padre then stretching it east to Pensacola or the Floribama area on work vacations, then pushing for a longer trip to Isla Mujeres or the Keys. All of this will be while we both work so that around the time our kids are 10+ or so, then making the real jump from either here or the Europe area to make a West to East Circumnavigation as a family, before returning after 3-4 years to "real life" until retirement.

If any of yall are looking for crew, especially either leaving from or coming to the Houston/Galveston area, feel free to reach out! Very excited for you Unwritten.
morrchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 21:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Here’s another Howdy from Texas!

Bon Voyage on your upcoming cruising life!

Howdy back at you. Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 21:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrchr1 View Post
Hello from another mostly lurker! I fell like yall are about a decade ahead of me but I'm getting started. Currently finishing the climb out of a debt hole, about to move from access to someone else's Capri 22 (the best kind of boat, right) to buying my own 80s-early 90's 30-35 cruiser to gain the experience of larger boat systems and start getting offshore experience.

Current loose plan (because we all know things will change) is to start our family, use the boat I'm currently working to buy to make sure we like the cruising lifestyle, making short trips to first Corpus/Port Arthur/Padre then stretching it east to Pensacola or the Floribama area on work vacations, then pushing for a longer trip to Isla Mujeres or the Keys. All of this will be while we both work so that around the time our kids are 10+ or so, then making the real jump from either here or the Europe area to make a West to East Circumnavigation as a family, before returning after 3-4 years to "real life" until retirement.

If any of yall are looking for crew, especially either leaving from or coming to the Houston/Galveston area, feel free to reach out! Very excited for you Unwritten.

Sounds like you have a great plan! 10+ is a good age. Our oldest at 12 is about to get to the dreaded teenage years and we figured now or never! Best of luck with your endeavors. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Tags
texas