Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2022, 17:29   #1

Alternatives to Beneteau 30.1?

With limiting my search to recently manufactured boats, am trying to find boats which have some 'fun' performance for sailing around, are relatively inexpensive, and generally well designed.

Which other brands / models would you recommend?

The Jeanneau 349 is a few feet longer, wider, and supposedly 2,600# heavier... Have looked around at many brands, seen lots of nice boats, but I'm not too fond of the tiller designs I see everywhere. Just wondering if I'm missing anything before pulling the trigger.

Thank you!
Idolatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 18:25   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Alternatives to Beneteau 30.1?

Archambault A31 is seriously fun sadly the yard failed around 2017. I raced on their A41 , jeepers it was quick.

There’s the Hanse 315 to consider

For out and out fun but no accommodation thd cape 31 is the leader of the pack.
Old 23-09-2022, 18:35   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Alternatives to Beneteau 30.1?

It might be helpful to know your country of origin to give an opinion.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 20:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Archambault A31 is seriously fun sadly the yard failed around 2017. I raced on their A41 , jeepers it was quick.

Will take a look at the Hanse and Cape! Will check out the Archambault also. Thank you!
Old 23-09-2022, 20:08   #5

USA
Old 23-09-2022, 23:10   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I’m biased as a 349 owner but I’d look at the Beneteau 34 if going new as that is essentially a 349 but you can get the bigger main which is one of my complaints.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 05:23   #7
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

You declare yourself a brand new sailor. A good response to your inquiry requires more details.

Exactly where in the U.S. do you intend to use the boat?

What would be your intended usage?

Why do you desire a recently manufactured boat?

If you drop that last requirement, which is not really a wise requirement for a new sailor, you could pick up some fun, performance oriented boats to learn on. For example, a J/24 or J/30 would suit your needs and could be acquired relatively inexpensively: $5K to $20K. The ULDBs are cool boats for the West Coast, if you can find an Olson 30, Santa Cruz 27, Moore 24, any would be fast and a lot of fun, in the same price range. If you develop an interest in racing, any of those boats could be a relatively inexpensive, fun way to start.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2022, 05:50   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
You declare yourself a brand new sailor. A good response to your inquiry requires more details.

If you drop that last requirement, which is not really a wise requirement for a new sailor, you could pick up some fun, performance oriented boats to learn on. For example, a J/24 or J/30 would suit your needs and could be acquired relatively inexpensively: $5K to $20K. The ULDBs are cool boats for the West Coast, if you can find an Olson 30, Santa Cruz 27, Moore 24, any would be fast and a lot of fun, in the same price range. If you develop an interest in racing, any of those boats could be a relatively inexpensive, fun way to start.

The 30.1 is a really nice boat all the same.
Old 24-09-2022, 07:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I’m biased as a 349 owner but I’d look at the Beneteau 34 if going new as that is essentially a 349 but you can get the bigger main which is one of my complaints.
I haven’t sailed the 34.1, but have sailed the 35.1. It’s very nice, and to be honest it is something I’ve thought about.
Old 24-09-2022, 08:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post

I believe everything that you say. It is good advice! However, if I want any of my friends and family to join me, I will need to be on a 30’+ newer boat.
Old 24-09-2022, 12:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Looking over the Hanse website - realize I’ve compared this boat before - the Hanse is 4in longer, but over 2,000 pounds heavier and with 14in more beam.

The dimensions & weight of the Hanse 315 look somewhat similar to the last generation Bene 31. I’ve sailed both the Bene 31 & 30.1, and quite enjoy the light feeling. Just feels more active and responsive to me. Of course I’m also a neophyte so… take it all with much salt!

Tags
beneteau