Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2022, 09:47   #1

Boat: Hunter, Passage, 42
Helm Assembly Post - Hunter Passage

Finishing up a trip to Catalina lost ability to increase throttle. Luckily it happened as boat was put into reverse getting onto the mooring ball after a 7 day trip! GOOD LUCK.

Something is going on with the linkage and not seeing anything on the engine side of things, I am thinking it has come apart at the "helm post" not sure what its called.

Curious if anyone had a drawing of how this assembly goes together, see attached photos. Thought I would ask before just going for it and unscrewing everything!

Appreciate the help! People on this forum have been so nice / helpful!

Not sure if those tan pieces will just unthread or to unscrew the compass assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3994.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	260900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3995.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	260901  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3996.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	260902  
peterlee12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 10:32   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Helm Assembly Post - Hunter Passage

To get to the cables inside the binnacle you’ll need to remove the compass, then remove the fixing screws inside of the “tan” pieces that hold them onto the pedestal guard bracket.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 16:13   #3

10-4 Thanks for the info. Hopfully the issue is up there, I'll send a picture might be good to share!
Old 13-07-2022, 16:35   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Most likely, the throttle cable has snapped from metal fatigue over the years. I had the same issue on my hunter with similar linkage. You will most likely need a new teleflex cable, and replace both the throttle and transmission cable at the same time.

My recommendation is to also buy the Edson extension and convert that up and down transmission lever to a true Forward and Reverse since you will have the whole thing apart.

As was already stated, carefully take the compass off. Start by unscrewing the compass light and removing the stainless cover. Then you will see the screws for the compass. Pay attention to any magnets that may be present, as well. About 1/3 of the way down the pedestal is a cap nut. This holds the cables in place inside the pedestal.

While you're in there lube your steering linkage and examine it for faults. If you're feeling ambitious, change this out, too.

Good luck!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 17:28   #5

Presuming it is an Edson steering pedestal, their website has a wealth of guides and manuals: https://edsonmarine.com/product-tech...enance-sheets/

At a guess, this one might the most appropriate, but if not they probably have one for your model: https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

The engine controls don't get much love, but there is some info in there, and it does show how the whole thing fits together.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 17:34   #6

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Don’t know those binicle extension fittings look like a hunter special ,BUT while you have the top off check the steering chains and sprocket plus thr cable to chain joiners ,if it’s a Whitlock system a good time to grease the bearings and check the keys and pins .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 19:18   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Depending on what length Moore’s cable you need for the transmission I have a new spare here that was to long for how I ran my replacement
Old 15-07-2022, 20:48   #8

Thanks for the help. I pulled off the compass and the tan assembly. The throttle linkage goes inside a black tube looking thing, see pictures attached. It has come detached on the engine side of the linkage and I have pulled the piece out of the helm.

See attached for photos.

Going to dig into those manuals to try to understand. The linkage shaft fits nicely in the black tube on clouded as (1) on page 2 of my attachment. I try turning it because there is threads on the linkage but never bit, also doesnt appear to be any threads at the end of the black tube I was inserting into.

How does the linkage shaft attach into the tube?

Appreciate the help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Throttle Linkage Pictures.pdf (1,003.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 15-07-2022, 21:16   #9

It appears that the rod has "released" from within the engine control cable.

From the part it does not appear there is an easy fix, I assume I need to replace the entire cable.

=/

The following link shows - the whole process of running these cables.

https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB39...ntrolInstr.pdf

@Heywood - thanks for the link. Gave me exactly what I needed.

Let me know if you guys think I need to replace the entire control cable.

Appreciate the help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine Control Cable - 33 Series.pdf (141.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 15-07-2022, 21:40   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

Yes, replace them. New Teraflex cables from Defender are high quality and much much cheaper than Edson.

Replacing them is a chore. Plan a day to disassemble, then measure the length before ordering, and another day to put it back together. At only $40ish if I recall, replace both the throttle and gear shift cables.

You will need to completely disassemble the pedestal. Remove the wheel, chain and cable, shaft, brake, etc. There is a video on Edson's you tube page that describes how to remove the shaft. It's important to watch.

Edson has lots of videos on their youtube, spend some time there.

The cables are secured by a clamp in the tube below the shaft, held by a screw or bolt on the rear of the pedestal tube. You have probably seen that screw and wondered what it was for.

When removing the chain and wire. Detach the wire from the Quadrant, and attach a string to each end. Leave the strings in the pedestal as messengers to guide them back easily. The wires cross in the Pedestal, so it helps to use different colored strings for port/starboard.

Before removing the control cables, take careful note of how they route down the tube. They need to curve and keep clear of the cable and chain. That can be tricky to do.

If a control cable has worn out, more than likely the chain and wire need replaced also, and maybe the idler assembly beneath the pedestal, and maybe other parts as well. They are expensive, but a real serious problem if they fail while sailing, and it's a lot of work to remove and reinstall, so consider replacing as much as you can.
Old 17-07-2022, 20:47   #11

Appreciate all the help. Couple more questions.

Question 1 - Can I use the same control cable for the transmission that is for the throttle - see link: https://edsonmarine.com/engine-contr...eries-cable-8/.
I measured both throttle and transmission cables and they are 96".

Excited to tackle this, will let you know how it goes!!!
Old 18-07-2022, 06:28   #12

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I'm not sure. Call Edson and ask. They have amazing customer service.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, hunter, passage