Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 07:29   #1

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'
Hunter Sailboat

I’m tired of reading all the negative comments from people who have never sailed or owned a Hunter. I invite you read this article before listening to all the haters of this brand of sailboat. They are excellent sea worthy and worth your attention if you want a safe beautiful and reasonable priced boat. If you have any doubt who Steve is just google his name. He has forgotten more about sailing than most of the people combined who post negative opinions.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-con...ds/CY-H-49.pdf
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:54   #2

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: Hunter Sailboat

Boats are a combination of compromises. Some people just don't like the compromises hunter made. I don't claim they made bad design choices, I just can't say I care for a lot of them. I have had a couple Cherubini hunters, and they were fine boats, they had issues, same as any other make.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:16   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Hunters are sweet boats. Don’t let them get to you.
There is some honest criticism on Marlow’s business model but didn’t reflect on a beautifully finished boat.
Apparently Jeanneau owners are annoying bragging about their beautiful Vinylester finish and Kevlar roving. True to the brand ( until I buy another brand) I do my best to be annoying as often as possible but it’s in good fun.
I really don’t have a brand clue on Sailboats I’ve just learned sailboaters have more judgemental hot wind than powerboaters. They over prop more too.
They are acceptable faults you can sail away from.
Did I tell you about my Vinylester ?
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:45   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasselas36 View Post
I’m tired of reading all the negative comments from people who have never sailed or owned a Hunter. I invite you read this article before listening to all the haters of this brand of sailboat. They are excellent sea worthy and worth your attention if you want a safe beautiful and reasonable priced boat. If you have any doubt who Steve is just google his name. He has forgotten more about sailing than most of the people combined who post negative opinions.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-con...ds/CY-H-49.pdf

Ok...an article by another person. Some how if a bum off the street had an opinion on a Hunter we would discard it as "some bum's opinion". Yet if it is an article on a fancy glossy letter head we take it as gospel. If you are tired of reading negative comments, then don't read them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:52   #5

Hey if you want to spend $3000+ a month on marinas, maintenance, and all the alcohol it takes to help you forget you bought a Hunter, be my guest, but dont tell me its normal.
Oh wait thats your other account.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:08   #6

I’m wondering why we are reading a 2006 review on the Hunter 49. Did I get suckered into a 16 year old rant with honest sympathy? Looks like typical review nothing but flowery words.
Can we not have a current rant about Hunter cause they are out of business?
Did I tell you about my Vinylester ?
Old 04-07-2022, 12:44   #7

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Or maybe the disdain should more accurately be focused on the owners who don't maintain what was a reasonably priced entry level boat in the smaller sizes.
I left a marina last fall that had a 25' free for the taking because the owner walked away. Sound diesel, obviously clogged filter, dead battery, good sails under the cover growing moss, hull had 3" of growth, just needed a lot of maintenance.
Would have been a great economical boat for someone who cared enough to clean it. I just couldn't see towing it for a couple of days.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 14:44   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

A friend of mine's father had a 54' for many years.
The dad and his friends would sail to Hawaii, and #1 son and his friends would bring the boat back.
Just like clockwork, after the days of bashing to windward before you make the right turn the locker doors either didn't want to open or didn't want to close, same with the head door and various drawers.
That's why they call them "Flexi Flyers".
The hull wracked enough to twist the interior out of shape.
Old 06-07-2022, 15:21   #9

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

There is a 54 for sale on yachtword right now for pretty cheap on the East coast. I do like the design, I wonder if anyone has done anything to stiffen them up? Never had any issues with our 37c doing anything, but I have heard stories about the cabinet up by the chain locker in the V-berth coming down in others.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 16:26   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasselas36 View Post
I’m tired of reading all the negative comments from people who have never sailed or owned a Hunter. I invite you read this article[/url]
Rubbish. At the time he was a Hunter employee.

Greatest Lakes said it nicely: all boats are compromises. Fact is, Hunters are ergonomically and visually well done.

Someone else said they’re flexmasters. And they are. I could go on and on with shortcuts and design hiccups, I could complain about the windage. But the most significant element is that they’re not built to take a beating.

Don’t whine to me, and please no more silly claims based on paid advertising. We have a Legend 37.5, and love it. It’s roomy and fast. And if I wanted to lose it in a storm by summers end, I could. They are what they are, let’s not pretend they’re Brewers or Valiants or Hallbergs.
Old 06-07-2022, 17:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Rubbish. At the time he was a Hunter employee.

Greatest Lakes said it nicely: all boats are compromises. Fact is, Hunters are ergonomically and visually well done.

Someone else said they’re flexmasters. And they are. I could go on and on with shortcuts and design hiccups, I could complain about the windage. But the most significant element is that they’re not built to take a beating.

Don’t whine to me, and please no more silly claims based on paid advertising. We have a Legend 37.5, and love it. It’s roomy and fast. And if I wanted to lose it in a storm by summers end, I could. They are what they are, let’s not pretend they’re Brewers or Valiants or Hallbergs.
True but, everyone told me my H37c could not make it across the Atlantic because 3 had sunk that year off the NC coast.. mine did including riding out 60+kts and big sea's while laying ahull for 5 days and suffering no damage.
A friend bought a Legend 37.5 in the Caribe and went on to sail her to and around the Med then back across to Brazil.
Today's Marlow Hunters I can't comment on as I've never sailed one but, I imagine they could also Transat with an experienced Skipper who does not press his boats.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 19:14   #12

I admit I’m new to Sailboats but not boats. I’ve heard smack talk about just every brand. Mostly in forums where folks can drop that facade they call manners. I think the greatest builders of all things made some lemons.
Some of the absolute premier brands made some stunning boats only to watch them delaminate 30 years later.
One of my favourite brands and hopefully running again soon is Donzi. They did go overkill on build. Nothing in comfort except 3 bilge pumps. They have had 6 owners. Each one has added to the company mission. All 6 owners kept the 18 going even through the dreaded Ford OMC years.

Cigarettes new owner has built a yacht to wake up the quiet ocean monster You can garage two of their 64mph electric PWC

For all the years C&C yachts were in Brampton I drove by them on the way to work. C&C was a victim with many others of abad trade deal.
For years after their demise I drove by two of their mould sitting in a farmers field.
I think the Hunter 33 deserved all it accolades
Had Marlow not blown the wad on five hull moulds they well may have survived.
Establish the new build with a 45 until he broke even maybe.
I get asked about ballcocks and creaky floors. It’s just the jab they learned last brand bash. They never bring up the Epoxy and Kevlar roving or the bonded rigid platform everything bolts to how about a double wall coach roof. Perfect Epoxy gel coat both sides. My toe rails and cockpit teak are faux. I wish the teak extended to the side gates though.
Old 06-07-2022, 19:23   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Perfect Epoxy gel coat both sides.
Umm... Gel coat is polyester, not epoxy.

Jim
Old 06-07-2022, 19:56   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Hunter is a tough brand to judge because they tried so many different things over the years. Some of their boats were well liked, others were considered pretty much junk. And they tended to have somewhat different design priorities to hit their price point compared to Beneteau and others. I can't say I've ever known a Hunter owner that disliked the boat or wouldn't buy another though.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 22:46   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Umm... Gel coat is polyester, not epoxy.

Jim

Not the first time he has been corrected on that one. I think he has half of us on ignore.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hunter, sail, sailboat