Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2020, 09:40   #1

Navionics: which ipad will work ???

Hi Folks, back on the ocean after 10 years break, many things have changed, i used to have an ipad with navionics for my navigation, but navionics is about to upgrade its applications and not sure which ipad will still works (of course it need the "3G" to get the GPS)
From Navionics website it says IOS should be above V.10.8

I need to buy an ipad, just want to buy one that works for a most reasonable price
Thanks for your advices
Bruno
brunocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 09:50   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Navionics: which ipad will work ???

Quote: " ... (of course it need the "3G" to get the GPS) ..."

end of quote

Do you mean to say only "3G" iPads have built-in gps chip?

If this is the case, why not use any iPad and get the gps data from wifi or BT gps?

And why not an Android tablet then? They are cheap (USD 100 or thereabout) and most have gps+glonass onboard.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 10:19   #3

Thanks for your comment. Yes, only the "3G"models have a slot for sim card and the GPS built in. My question is regarding the model or how old is it. I chose the ipad vs android tablet because everything i use is apple and i want to stay that way
Old 26-09-2020, 10:26   #4

GPS data from wifi... no thank you!
No wifi onboard, only the strict minimum in terms of electronics

Short story: years ago i found myself in the middle of the caribbean waters on a delivery boat with flat batteries, no engine, sails almost destroyed, a giant storm and my ipad. That sweet device show me the way home during 4 days with its own battery (turning the ipad on and off)
After this experience i had a very special affection for my old ipad
Old 26-09-2020, 10:29   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I have used a model called Mini, Ipad Mini. But we used boat nmea data over wifi, not build-in gps.

If you can get a 3G Mini iPad, I think you will be 100% happy. Bright screen and never failed once.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 10:42   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We have an iPad Air 2 running IOS 13.5.1. It handles iNavX and Navionics charts or the Navionics app reasonably well. I also use iNavX on an iPhone X (13.7). It is ok but tends to be very slow. The iPad is much better, despite being about 3 years old.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:09   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We have an iPad Pro running Navionics and AquaMaps with a Bluetooth GPS unit. BTW the gps batteries will last 8hrs if used constantly. The external gps is more accurate than the internal in my experience. We also can access the gps in our Vesper AIS via its dedicated WiFi for the highest accuracy.

I check the accuracy by looking at my location in the marina on the various gps inputs. The internal will show me which part of the marina, the Bluetooth will show which dock and the Vesper will show which slip.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 12:00   #8

Thank you for all replies. I guess what is mostly important is the IOS the ipad can use. To be on the safe side, i would say IOS 12 or 13?
Old 26-09-2020, 15:26   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

I know you said you want Apple product, so please excuse this...

Besides being better priced (at least at the lower and middle range), Android allows you to run OpenCPN and add well-priced oeSENC charts etc.

On anothrr topic: Navionics charts (and tides/currents) not always up to snuff (not an Ipad vs Android issue.. same for both)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 08:37   #10

Boat: Chrysler 22

I have an iPad gen 5 with GPS and cellular. It works much better than I thought with iNavX. I think yours needs to be GPS and cellular equipped to work alone. I used it in the Chesapeake and was very pleased.
chasmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 08:38   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

I have used an older iPad 9.7” which is upgradable. But have recently upgraded to an 11” 2018 which has more viewing area. I see some people are using a 12” iPad. Must have cellular but I don’t know if it needs to be turned on. People are upgrading on eBay because they can get more for them than trade in. You also need paper charts and a place to plug in.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:00   #12

I use a Lenovo, running Android, cost only $150, much cheaper than iPad and works perfectly
Keysrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:05   #13

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I had an iPad 3 which I used with iSailor - much better charts than Navionics in my view and cheaper too. There were two drawbacks with that:

a) The battery life of the iPad 3 wasn't at all good
b) It wouldn't run the latest iOS and some Apps would no longer work on it. Though iSailor did.

So I upgraded to an iPad Air2. The battery life is much better on this. The iPad is not my primary means of Navigation and I only really use iSailor for close quarters navigation when I want really detailed charts and need them at the helm. My boat is tiller steered so the chart plotter is down below at the chart table. But the iPad and iSailor work really well when I need them.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:12   #14

I found an ipad air for 150$ with cell and wifi, the IOS is 12.8.4 and it wont upgrade any higher. Same for the ipad mini2 and 3 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history
I think this IOS version will last for quite some time so it is all right. On the other hand, all the ipads below these, really not sure it will works... and if it does, it may not be for long...
Old 27-09-2020, 09:13   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunocean View Post
GPS data from wifi... no thank you!
No wifi onboard, only the strict minimum in terms of electronics

Short story: years ago i found myself in the middle of the caribbean waters on a delivery boat with flat batteries, no engine, sails almost destroyed, a giant storm and my ipad. That sweet device show me the way home during 4 days with its own battery (turning the ipad on and off)
After this experience i had a very special affection for my old ipad
Is this to be on a cruising boat? most have more than minimum in terms of electronics. If it's just general sailing then you probably have the wrong forums.

If dead set on an ipad over android, you would probably get a good deal on some of the slightly older Pro 10" models now. The key as other have said is to ensure it is the LTE/Cell version. Maybe people cheap out and only buy the wifi only version.

I have an older 9.7" Pro which I used Navionics on when in the Med. Barely use it now though, especially when i have all the navionics maps I could want on my android version of the app

In addition, perhaps something like a Garmin Montana or Oregon would be useful .
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, work