Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 11:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I
Can't get to my boat in Fiji; Can I an Aussie to fetch her?

I left my immaculate Un Mundo on the hard at Vuda Pt, Fiji. last Dec. and returned to work in LA. Plan was to sail to Australia upon my return last June. Then Covid. Still she sits waiting. I've been in touch with an Aussie delivery Capt. who I'd hoped could fetch her and get her down to Oz, thinking that Fiji would open to an Aussie well before it opens to a yank, and before cyclone season. (I'd rather sell her where there's a market than let her sit until next year... I think.) Has anyone a thought on this? Would it be possible to find an able Aussie already in Fiji to sail her "home?" Or am I really stuck just letting her sit in a cyclone pit, albeit well taken care of, (as I've been assured she is)?
Geoff
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 15:48   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Can't get to my boat in Fiji; Can I an Aussie to fetch her?

You'd need to find an Ozzie whom you and your insurance would trust to deliver the boat to Oz. You'd need to front up about $5,000 additional for his quarantine costs, as the quarantine is a mandatory 14 day one (no time off for the travel time) plus pay the import fees on the boat that have to be paid before you could sell her. AFAIK, ins companies will not insure for singlehanded deliveries, so you'd need to double the quarantine costs, and crew.

Ann
Old 16-08-2020, 16:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Same problems in the Caribbean. We left our boat in Antigua on the hard. Sing - I’m leaving on a jet plane. Don’t know if they’ll let us back again. C19 just keeps on giving(taking). Some folks managed to make Trinidad before shut down but they don’t dare leave. No air connections into Trinidad at all. You ca fly out on humanitarian (expensive) embassy flights, no returns. Friends in Grenada, Martinique, St Lucia are all stuck there for hurricane season.

Sorry, not much help. You are not alone.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:42   #4

Thank you for the replies Nicholson 58 and Ann. Appreciate the commiseration!! In the meantime i'll await better news with the knowledge that I have a couple of professionals looking after her and I get photos frequently, have a dehumidifier running 24/7, she gets washed and opened up, and I get photos. What a crazy year!!
Geoff
Old 17-08-2020, 14:59   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
I left my immaculate Un Mundo on the hard at Vuda Pt, Fiji. last Dec. and returned to work in LA. Plan was to sail to Australia upon my return last June. Then Covid. Still she sits waiting. I've been in touch with an Aussie delivery Capt. who I'd hoped could fetch her and get her down to Oz, thinking that Fiji would open to an Aussie well before it opens to a yank, and before cyclone season. (I'd rather sell her where there's a market than let her sit until next year... I think.) Has anyone a thought on this? Would it be possible to find an able Aussie already in Fiji to sail her "home?" Or am I really stuck just letting her sit in a cyclone pit, albeit well taken care of, (as I've been assured she is)?
Geoff
Why would you want it taken to OZ? Fiji is scheduled to open much sooner - although with some quarantine provisions. I think they'd like to open up permanently without any back sliding due to Covid as the cruising industry is far more important to their economy
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:38   #6

Hi Joel, thanks for that question and for your optimism on Fiji. I hope you're right. Best answer I have is that as I'm now likely to feel okay for the first time in 20 years to part with her, I thought that Oz or NZ would be a much better place to connect her to a buyer's market. Maybe I'm wrong?? I do love the question though.
Geoff
Old 17-08-2020, 15:52   #7

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Others have mentioned the quarantine costs when the crew arrive back in Australia but that is not the only problem. Selling a boat can be difficult at the best of times but right now the Australian state borders are effectively closed so lets say you have the boat for sale in Brisbane, your market is limited to Queensland. Nobody is likely to fly from Sydney to Brisbane just to look at a boat when they will have to spend 2 week in quarantine first. Melbourne is still in total lockdown with non-essential travel limited to 5km from home. (sorry sir, boat shopping is not essential travel!). I can't see the travel restrictions easing again before the end of the year.

So, if your boat is in a relatively safe place, well looked after and you have insurance and the fees aren't sending you broke, I would just leave the boat there until things settle down.....easy for me to say!
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:58   #8

These observations and knowledge are exactly why I posted the question. Many thanks!
Old 17-08-2020, 15:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
Hi Joel, thanks for that question and for your optimism on Fiji. I hope you're right. Best answer I have is that as I'm now likely to feel okay for the first time in 20 years to part with her, I thought that Oz or NZ would be a much better place to connect her to a buyer's market. Maybe I'm wrong?? I do love the question though.
Geoff
Jeff; You might email David@yachthelp.com and see what he recommends. You can get back to the boat, but may have t do a 14 day quarantine. The yachts are welcome to come and time coming counts towards their quarantine time of 14 days. After they clear that and clear their test with a negative. They are then allowed to cruise Fiji.
David may be able to help you get into Fiji. I know you can fly to New Zealand and transfer to a flight to Fiji, but they have to line up as you will not be allowed to come out of the airport.
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Fiji