Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2020, 03:29   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
GPS jamming in Flordia

Don’t know how real this is but it’s said there is GPS jamming going on in Flordia and surrounding areas. Anyone heard about this....... https://youtu.be/FYrVzehIG3M
Old 18-01-2020, 04:48   #2

Re: GPS jamming in Flordia

Yes it's happening - Air force/Navy is doing some trials. starting at 1200 EST local through 1900 EST. Was supposed to be clear today as Spacex were due to launch but this is postponed until tomorrow. So not sure what the situation is now.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...t_Advisory.pdf
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 05:54   #3

Thanks Kevin!
Old 18-01-2020, 17:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Are they jamming all the gps signals, or just the US gps system?

There are now 4 gps systems, with the European Galileo, Russian Glonass and the Chinese coming soon. But I don't understand how they work together, if the US one is jammed, will your device pick up the others, or just get really confused?

Apparently, gps signals go haywire where Putin is - I hope he doesn't take up sailing!
RichMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 18:38   #5

With all the satellites zooming around out there, I’m surprised they’re not banging into each other yet. In time I’m sure.
Old 18-01-2020, 19:15   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMac View Post
Are they jamming all the gps signals, or just the US gps system?

There are now 4 gps systems, with the European Galileo, Russian Glonass and the Chinese coming soon. But I don't understand how they work together, if the US one is jammed, will your device pick up the others, or just get really confused?

Apparently, gps signals go haywire where Putin is - I hope he doesn't take up sailing!
Generally they don't work together unless you have a device that is enabled for these additional systems.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 20:45   #7

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Generally they don't work together unless you have a device that is enabled for these additional systems.
I just viewed a YouTube video explaining GPS+, which apparently if a device has this feature it can pick up U.S. and Russian GPS satellites.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 21:38   #8

Most modern GNSS* receivers use multiple constellations for their fixes. My Android phone (a Samsung made around 2017) uses GPS and GLONASS). You can use an app such as GPS Status to see which constellations your phone uses. I'm not sure how you'd figure out what constellations other types of GNSS receivers use.

BTW, I posted a link to an article about the jamming in another thread a few days ago.

*Although many people use the abbreviation "GPS" to refer to any satellite based position fixing system, it is actually the name of the U.S. system only. The abbreviation GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) is the correct way to refer generically to any such system.

... I know, I'm being pedantic.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 23:35   #9

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Most modern GNSS* receivers use multiple constellations for their fixes. My Android phone (a Samsung made around 2017) uses GPS and GLONASS). You can use an app such as GPS Status to see which constellations your phone uses. I'm not sure how you'd figure out what constellations other types of GNSS receivers use.
Sean, do you see any Galileo birds yet? If not, you might find this article interesting: https://galileognss.eu/why-galileo-i...united-states/
requiem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 23:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post

*Although many people use the abbreviation "GPS" to refer to any satellite based position fixing system, it is actually the name of the U.S. system only. The abbreviation GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) is the correct way to refer generically to any such system.

... I know, I'm being pedantic.
Damn! And here I was just getting use to saying GPS instead of RDF.

When is it going to stop.
Now, I have to remember another letter.
Old 19-01-2020, 03:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Sean, do you see any Galileo birds yet? If not, you might find this article interesting: https://galileognss.eu/why-galileo-i...united-states/

No, I just checked and I am still only receiving GPS and GLONASS signals.

This is very interesting, indeed. Thank you very much for bringing this article to my attention. I will share it with my friends on NavList (which is where I was made aware of the GPS jamming article) and see what their thoughts are on the subject.

Cheers!
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 03:57   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

GPS is permanently jammed near the UN in the east River and has been for decades.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 07:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
GPS is permanently jammed near the UN in the east River and has been for decades.
I've used a GPS to get to that complex, so I'm going to have to call BS on that one my friend!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 08:51   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I've used a GPS to get to that complex, so I'm going to have to call BS on that one my friend!
Try it with your boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 09:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Try it with your boat.
I'm curious as to your source of this bit of information? Have you tried for decades to find the UN complex by boat but been foiled each time by "jamming"? That only impacts the approaches by water? And where, exactly does this happen? I have a good friend who is CO of CG Sector NY who would really want to know about this if it was true, although almost inconceivable that CG small boats going by there multiple times a day for decades wouldn't have experienced this if it was a real thing.
Now that I think about it, I've actually also flown by there a number of times in a helicopter over the water, a couple times below 100' (benefit that comes with flying a big orange CG helo) and never gotten an alert, which we would have had it had been "jammed". I actually have more than a passing interest in GPS, is was my area of focus in my undergrad EE program to the point I actually built a GPS receiver from scratch. Also did a lot of anechoic chamber work on propagation and antennas. Given what I know about GPS and what I've experienced at that specific location again I'm gonna have to say that's simply a fabrication, sorry to ruin a story based on that one time your GPS stopped working that I'm sure gets better milage with a less credulous and more conspiracy minded audience.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps