Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 21:31   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Best beaches to anchor/moor by in NY/NJ/CT tri-state area?

I'm planning Summer 2020 (despite COVID-19).

I'm located in Jersey City, New Jersey. I'd like to visit some nice beaches that I can anchor by or moor by within a relatively close distance. I'd like to get there within 12-16 hours @ 6 kts (average). I'm willing to go to 16-24 hours if it means nice locations.

Basically, I'd like some weekend trips where I can anchor the day before, wake up the next day, and hop into some nice, clear, blue water for a swim. Then breakfast and lunch on boat. Possibly dinghy onto shore restaurant.

Basically, I want clean and clear water I can jump into and swim around my boat and also a beach I could lay on with some nice sand.

Is that too much to ask for around NYC, which is one of the dirtiest cities in AMERICA?

Probably
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 22:59   #2

Re: Best beaches to anchor/moor by in NY/NJ/CT tri-state area?

I found Coney Island to be a good, close spot...

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...y=aauvFd%7BubM

It's actually really close. I don't mind going farther out for some nice beaches
Old 04-04-2020, 02:31   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I'm planning Summer 2020 (despite COVID-19).

I'm located in Jersey City, New Jersey. I'd like to visit some nice beaches that I can anchor by or moor by within a relatively close distance. I'd like to get there within 12-16 hours @ 6 kts (average). I'm willing to go to 16-24 hours if it means nice locations.

Basically, I'd like some weekend trips where I can anchor the day before, wake up the next day, and hop into some nice, clear, blue water for a swim. Then breakfast and lunch on boat. Possibly dinghy onto shore restaurant.

Basically, I want clean and clear water I can jump into and swim around my boat and also a beach I could lay on with some nice sand.

Is that too much to ask for around NYC, which is one of the dirtiest cities in AMERICA?

Probably

===

The beaches on Sandy Hook are quite nice and there is plenty of room to anchor on the bay side. Another possibility is Jones inlet on the south shore of Long Island.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Just stay home!
Governor Andrew Cuomo has ordered all non-essential businesses to shut down and for New Yorkers to remain indoors.
“These provisions will be enforced. These are not helpful hints. This is not if you really want to be a great citizen. These are legal provisions,” he said at a briefing on Friday morning in Albany, the state’s capital. “We need everyone to be safe; otherwise, no one can be safe.”

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/vid...xecutive-order
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-...ster-emergency

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:36   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Just stay home!
Governor Andrew Cuomo has ordered all non-essential businesses to shut down and for New Yorkers to remain indoors.
“These provisions will be enforced. These are not helpful hints. This is not if you really want to be a great citizen. These are legal provisions,” he said at a briefing on Friday morning in Albany, the state’s capital. “We need everyone to be safe; otherwise, no one can be safe.”

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/vid...xecutive-order
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-...ster-emergency

===

He's in New Jersey and may have different rules. My recommendation of Sandy Hook is also in New Jersey.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:38   #6

Boat: Tartan 3000

I'm on Long Island now. Most of the sailing is on the north shore, Long Island Sound. At this moment all restaurants are closed probably beaches too. In any event Huntington bay does have a nice beach.

May need more than 2 days if you want to swim and get dinner on LIS.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:40   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

There is some concern that swimming may be a risk, and it's not like sewer overflows are rare in the New York area (more than anywhere in the country by a wide factor, because of old sewers).

Just reporting what I read. Google and reach your own conculsions.

https://www.surfrider.org/coastal-bl...arch-community
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...es-los-angeles
Old 04-04-2020, 09:45   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

just off Sanibel Island .. gulf of Mexico
Old 04-04-2020, 10:10   #9

Luke.. We're all hoping that this nasty virus will be contained soon and that societal restrictions will be lifted at some point during the summer. If/when that happens, you have sooo many options for nice spots to cruise to from Jersey City in 12-16 hours. At an average of 6k, you're talking a 70+ mile radius.

As Wayne mentioned, Sandy Hook is a pretty nice spot and from J.C. at 6 knots, I think you're looking at under 3 hrs one way from say, Liberty Landing. If you're looking for something more adventurous (9-12 hrs one way), my turf is Barnegat Bay inside Barnegat Inlet and it offers some sweet beaches (e.g. Island Beach State Park) as well as fishing and clamming, depending on what you're into. Some good overnight anchorages as well. I'm sure there are a number of places in L.I. Sound within that time window too.

When the world is ready to let you fledge (leave the nest once the virus danger is gone)... stretch your wings. In the meantime, join the rest of us with crossed fingers (and toes) that this all ends soon and we can once again, venture out.

Stay well,
Karl
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 14:28   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

You could also go the other way, up the Hudson. Croton Point is popular. If you want to get away from it all, Houghtailing I is a bit more remote.

Those are just two off the top of my head. I'm not big on swimming or night life. To find some anchorages that are more specific for your preferences, Active Captain is probably your best resource.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 14:47   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
He's in New Jersey and may have different rules. My recommendation of Sandy Hook is also in New Jersey.
To mitigate the impact of COVID-19 and protect the capacity of New Jersey's health care system for the state's most vulnerable, Governor Phil Murphy signed Executive Order No. 107 on March 21, directing all residents to stay at home until further notice...
... Simply put, people should not be outside of their home unless they absolutely need to be ...
https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-infor...ail-businesses

➥ https://nj.gov/governor/news/news/562020/approved/20200320j.shtml

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 16:10   #12

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

you can anchor at the end of the mooring field at Atlantic highlands. There's a beach at Popamora Point a short dink ride or a small beach at low tide right at the anchorage. "On the deck" is a nice restaurant with city views and live music and there are several others in town, a nice walk.

Great kills harbor has beach access and restaurants but dink access may be an issue. The yacht club there used to let you tie up your dink, but you should check.

There are beach anchorages on sandy hook, but no restaurants.

Keyport has restaurants but no beach. Need a southern wind for the anchorage and dink access through the keyport yacht club... call and ask.

Blue water! ha
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:54   #13

Boat: Tartan 37C

Luke, Good afternoon, What is your draft? I ask because entering the Great South Bay at the Fire Island Inlet will give you access to the most beautiful south shore of Long Island beaches along the Atlantic coast. Sailors Haven, Watch Hill and any of the Fire Island beach towns are sublime.
I do caution you that you need to stay sheltered in place until this unimaginable pandemic is gone.
Please be safe.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 18:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
Luke, Good afternoon, What is your draft? I ask because entering the Great South Bay at the Fire Island Inlet will give you access to the most beautiful south shore of Long Island beaches along the Atlantic coast. Sailors Haven, Watch Hill and any of the Fire Island beach towns are sublime.
I do caution you that you need to stay sheltered in place until this unimaginable pandemic is gone.
Please be safe.
It's a little deep... 6 feet. But I did look into Fire Island. Great recommendation!

Are there any special anchorages or can I anchor anywhere out of the channel?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:35   #15

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Luke, as CaptTom said above, ActiveCaptain is your best bet for specific information on anchoring. It is now run by Garmin (free) and overlays points of interest for mariners on a nautical chart including navigational hazards, harbor master contact info, anchorage locations with reviews, marinas including amenities like fuel, bathroom, haul-out facilities, etc.
https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor