Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 15:16   #1

Boat: Catana 42
South Coast of France Anchorages

My wife and I were looking at Cats in the US and were having trouble finding a boat we could agree on, when back in December we decided to consider a Phisa 42 in Canet-en-Roussillon. We are in the final stages of buying the boat (lots of planning in this, huh?). We plan on day trips to around Nice before we go over to Corsica, Sardenia, Sicily, around the boot then spend a bit of time in Croatia/Montenegro before going back down the East coast of Italy then finding somewhere to keep the boat for the winter. Looking at Google Earth it doesn't seem like there are many anchorages along this route for the first couple of days. With normal winds out of the NW, is it possible to anchor off the beach and dinghy into town? Any recommended anchorages on the first part of that trip? I was thinking first stop near Cape d'Adge, then Marseilles and shorter trips from there to Nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eddy
eddy52257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:19   #2

Re: Sout Coast of France Anchorages

Hi,

I am interested in exactly the same topic, we just finished our boat purchase process (now in refit) and we are planing to start full time cruising from beginning of May from the same Canet-en-Roussillon towards Italy and then to Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily... So I am interested in recommendations about the good anchorages and "must see" places in the Med coast of France.

Eddy, have checked this app "Navily" - so far this is the best what I found, it shows some anchorages in the Canet area, but most of them are not protected. I hope someone with local experience will comment and help us all.
Mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:50   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

There are 2 books “Pilote Côtier” in french covering the 2 parts of the french coast you are interested in.Pilote côtier n°1 covers from Marseille to Genoa et n°2 from Marseille to Barcelona.
You can order them from a website of the sailing magazine “Voile et Voiliers”.
Maybe I will see you coming by, my boat is in St Laurent du Var, close to Nice airport and this summer I plan to go to Sicily along the Italian coast.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/boutique/
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy52257 View Post
My wife and I were looking at Cats in the US and were having trouble finding a boat we could agree on, when back in December we decided to consider a Phisa 42 in Canet-en-Roussillon. We are in the final stages of buying the boat (lots of planning in this, huh?). We plan on day trips to around Nice before we go over to Corsica, Sardenia, Sicily, around the boot then spend a bit of time in Croatia/Montenegro before going back down the East coast of Italy then finding somewhere to keep the boat for the winter. Looking at Google Earth it doesn't seem like there are many anchorages along this route for the first couple of days. With normal winds out of the NW, is it possible to anchor off the beach and dinghy into town? Any recommended anchorages on the first part of that trip? I was thinking first stop near Cape d'Adge, then Marseilles and shorter trips from there to Nice.

Eddy
Your question s not possible to answer

In general the Western Med is a very poor region for all weather anchorages

Very poor

In addition environmental concerns , posidonia grass , have created many anchor restrictions

https://www.onboardonline.com/yachting-news/industry-news/the-decree-regulating-yacht-anchorage-and-stopping-in-french-waters/

You must plan you trip port to port with occasional anchorages , weather and regulation permitted

Use the most recent French and Italian pilot books
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:19   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 50

What time of the year are planning to start? I understand the weather in the Gulf of Lyon is rough before May and after September. It is reputed to be one of the windiest if not the windiest part of the Med.

This site might help your planning but, as mentioned, a good pilot is invaluable.
https://www.jimbsail.info/mediterran...med/med-france
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 18:21   #6

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

eddy,
I am with you - except our boat is supposed to be delivered in S. France July 7 - the factory says they are still working but we expect a month delay minimum. Due to other commitments we will not leave until late August or early September and we have to be out of EU w/in 90 days due to VAT...We are thinking maybe straight shot to Tunisia, then over to either Turkey or Greece to haul for the winter and have some items fitted that cannot be done at the Factory. You really need to buy the Pilot Books - they are very thorough and extremely helpful.
Good luck,
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I am not sure first of all if you could get out of France, to start with. Italy , Greece, Tunisia and Malta are closed for sure. We had two boats coming from France 10 days ago, they managed to get out, have taken plenty of fuel in jars to make it directly to Turkey as they knew that Italy and Greece was closed. Actually one of them ran out of fuel and tried to get some fuel in couple places in Greece and they were rejected each time. Upon their arrival, one of the boat and the crew was put on 14 days quarantine in the boat, the other boat and crew just walked out. Currently, the harbours in Turkey has banned the exit of any commercial boats, but private boats can cruise for now, whether it be turkish or foreign flag.
Relentless, if you can make it up to Turkey and need a haul out and some works to be done, drop me a PM. We have here an O 51 hull #1 since she was bought and did quite a bit of work for her over the last 3-4 years.

Good luck..

Cheers
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:00   #8

Boat: Catana 42

Thanks, we had to abandon the purchase because we couldn't get to the boat and if we could we couldn't go sailing. Very disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I am not sure first of all if you could get out of France, to start with. Italy , Greece, Tunisia and Malta are closed for sure. We had two boats coming from France 10 days ago, they managed to get out, have taken plenty of fuel in jars to make it directly to Turkey as they knew that Italy and Greece was closed. Actually one of them ran out of fuel and tried to get some fuel in couple places in Greece and they were rejected each time. Upon their arrival, one of the boat and the crew was put on 14 days quarantine in the boat, the other boat and crew just walked out. Currently, the harbours in Turkey has banned the exit of any commercial boats, but private boats can cruise for now, whether it be turkish or foreign flag.
Relentless, if you can make it up to Turkey and need a haul out and some works to be done, drop me a PM. We have here an O 51 hull #1 since she was bought and did quite a bit of work for her over the last 3-4 years.

Good luck..

Cheers
eddy52257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 14:10   #9

Re: South Coast of France Anchorages

Yeloya,
We have been waiting for our boat for nearly 2 years, and we expect it will be delayed until late August.
If that is the case we will sail near the factory for 2 weeks....one for training one for working out the bugs....then maybe a couple of S. France stops then do the W. Coast of Corsica/Sardinia, a stop in Tunis to restart our clock and then more likely Greece for winter if it is getting to cold..
Of course all is dependent on EU being open by then!
Thanks
Old 05-04-2020, 08:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELENTLESS 1 View Post
Yeloya,
We have been waiting for our boat for nearly 2 years, and we expect it will be delayed until late August.
If that is the case we will sail near the factory for 2 weeks....one for training one for working out the bugs....then maybe a couple of S. France stops then do the W. Coast of Corsica/Sardinia, a stop in Tunis to restart our clock and then more likely Greece for winter if it is getting to cold..
Of course all is dependent on EU being open by then!
Thanks
Hi Relentless,

Unfortunately in this environment of uncertainity, it's not possible to make a plan..One Beneteau 57 in Croatia, one Swan in Trieste that were supposed to come here for a major refit are stuck in their marina. One Bali in Tunisia was manufactured and put in water but we cannot take it. Another mono is blocked in Canais, south of France. I know all yards are postponing the delivery dates, but these two boats were finished and fully paid.
I had a bit chance chance of sailing with the owner of O51, it's a delight, you will love it. Hope you get her on time.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 13:19   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailmakers

Hi,
If you have to sail in south of France and depending the time you have, these are the best places to see (according to me :-)
- Collioure
( from Colioure to Marseille - flat and not very charming )
- Frioul islands and Les Calanques : between Marseille and La Ciotat
- Port-Cros island
- Saint-Tropez Gulf
- Saint Raphael to Menton
but you cannot rely on anchorages and avoid ports,
hope this can help,
Voilerie Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 17:35   #12

H-Sails
Thank you for the great suggestions. Admiral and I will be looking these up this weekend!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:24   #13

Hello Eddy,

I have been sailing many years in the mediterranean.

I can give you some of the best spots you shouldn't miss on your trip.

Marseille: interesting place if you would like to visit the town. Very crowded.

Cassis: Anchor in one of the calanques.

(isle) Porquerolles: anchor in the creek on the westside.
Shopping in the harbour.

(isle) Port-Cros: Anchor in the harbour. Very beautiful and quiet. You can anchor on the same island in Port Man.

From port Cros to Saint-Tropez (1 day saling). I suggest you to sail a few miles further and sail to Port Grimaud. Very pretty.

From Port Grimaud you go to anchor in front of Cannes between the isles of Saint Marguerite and Saint Honorat. Very safe spot to spend the night.

I can not recommand to go to Nice. Noisy, not much to see.

You can go to the shops in La Napoule before you start your trip to Corsica (Calvi).

Keep at the eastcoast and anchor in La Girolata, (if you have time enough, go to Ajaccio), Bonifaccio .

Sail to the Lavezzi islands (between Corsica and Sardinia), where yu have als very good spots for safe anchoring.

From the Lavezzi islands to Porto Cristo. Porto Cristo is not spectacular, but if you want to be part of the jet set... this is the place to be!

From Porto Cristo to the island of Elba. (Porto Ferraio).

I never was at the southcoast of Italy.

From the south of Italy you go to Croatia. Many nice places. Montenegro is the coming place now.

A very nice stop is a small island at 20 miles from corfu.

You want more info?
Let me know if you are heading to the Baleares or Greece.

Frederic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy52257 View Post

Eddy
Frederik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:11   #14

Hello,

I made a mistake in my letter from yesterday.
Avoid the eastcoast (not the Westcoast) of Corsica. (except Bastia)

Some other information:

In Croatia many beautiful spots (Slit, Trogir, Hvar...). Go certainly for a swim to the waterfalls of Skradin via Sibenik! It is a long natural channel to go there.

On your way back go to Gaios on the isle of Paxos, south of Corfu, before sailing further towards Greece...

Personnaly I find the Greek Islands fantastic. Should you go there, let me know, I have been there 7 times and discovered so many beautiful spots.

In France don't go for saiing with the 'Mistral', it can reach 10 bft.
In Greece avoid the 'Meltemi': we had one day a 56 nots of wind... not easy to find the entrance of the harbour!

In Greece, in the harbours, you have to anchor! A few years ago anchoring was still free of charge! I don't know how it is today.

Enjoy your trip!

Frederic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELENTLESS 1 View Post
H-Sails
Thank you for the great suggestions. Admiral and I will be looking these up this weekend!
Frederik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 06:56   #15

I use "Mediterranean France & Corsica Pilot" by Rod & Lucinda Heikell for the area from Languedoc-Roussillon [now called OCCITANIE] through Provence > Cote d'Azure > [W to E] > The Riviera > & Corsica.
Other such Pilots are available from "Imray" including "Inland Waterways", www.imray.com & Admiralty publications www.ukho.gov.uk.

Happy sailing .....when we can.
Rver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, France